• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Interested to see what else comes up here. Agree with the flyer, DW Bruin could be found close to that price range. Maybe a used Valor? Wonder if the Standard Manufacturing brand will make one?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a Ruger 5” single stack in 10mm in the safe. It’s a shooter and a great way to get into the 10mm game without breaking the bank. I had AllenM show it a little love and it was worth the refinement. For the cost of a new Ruger, you can spend the extra cash on an assortment of ammo to enjoy your new piece at the range and get used to the round. It makes a great whitetail/hog weapon at close to moderate range with the right ammo choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Ruger 5” single stack in 10mm in the safe. It’s a shooter and a great way to get into the 10mm game without breaking the bank. I had AllenM show it a little love and it was worth the refinement. For the cost of a new Ruger, you can spend the extra cash on an assortment of ammo to enjoy your new piece at the range and get used to the round. It makes a great whitetail/hog weapon at close to moderate range with the right ammo choice.

You are well versed in this. Do you feel the Ruger is up to running the full house 10mm rounds available.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You are well versed in this. Do you feel the Ruger is up to running the full house 10mm rounds available.

i would. And when cleaning would be looking for signs of a weak recoil spring or any battering of the frame. Anything noticeable would result in a trip to AllenM for assessment and corrective action.. I wouldn’t go to the extreme of a steady diet of Underwood, but Sig FMJ and some Underwood with proper care should be fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i would. And when cleaning would be looking for signs of a weak recoil spring or any battering of the frame. Anything noticeable would result in a trip to AllenM for assessment and corrective action.. I wouldn’t go to the extreme of a steady diet of Underwood, but Sig FMJ and some Underwood with proper care should be fine.

I have owned a few SR1911's and agree that hey are decent for the price point.
    I went crazy on 2 of them just because and they worked out well but all were .45ACP.
    The casting on frame/slide just seemed a bit minimal to me.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have owned a few SR1911's and agree that hey are decent for the price point.
    I went crazy on 2 of them just because and they worked out well but all were .45ACP.
    The casting on frame/slide just seemed a bit minimal to me.

knowing the variety of 10mm loads out there from .40 S&W levels to flame throwing Underwood, Ruger would just be plain foolish to build and release a piece that wouldn’t hold up. Even with their warranty, if someone just plain tortures a firearm, I would have a hard time agreeing to replace a broken and abused piece.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    knowing the variety of 10mm loads out there from .40 S&W levels to flame throwing Underwood, Ruger would just be plain foolish to build and release a piece that wouldn’t hold up. Even with their warranty, if someone just plain tortures a firearm, I would have a hard time agreeing to replace a broken and abused piece.

Truth here.

But you and I both know what a bunch of tight wads many gun owners are. The cost of Underwood over something half the price...…...They will cheap out most every time.

I get it....(I think) but many I know can afford to run the good stuff just cheap out.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Truth here.

But you and I both know what a bunch of tight wads many gun owners are. The cost of Underwood over something half the price...…...They will cheap out most every time.

I get it....(I think) but many I know can afford to run the good stuff just cheap out.

right.... we have seen what you get with the more “cost effective/budget friendly” ammo choices in 10mm... 40 S&W. I have nothing in that caliber so I don’t buy ammo loaded to that level. If someone wants to shoot one of my 10mm’s.... they have to be able to handle some of the other pieces in the safe first.

but back to the topic from the OP.... I would buy another Ruger in 10mm. It all depends on how big the budget is. Just like all other 1911s, buy what your budget will allow since you can make changes to suit you later.

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    10mm in 1911 always sends my mind straight to Dan Wesson but I would be interested to see some of the other options as well. My problem with the Wessons is always how over the top most of their higher end options are. But the Valor can be had in multiple calibers for less than $1600 and they tick a lot of boxes for me personally.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glock spend the rest on ammo.

Man did you have to spoil another 1911 thread. Seriously. We never go into the hallowed grounds of G**** and pee on your parade. I will start. This is 3 or 4 times a tupperware pusher has done this. If the man wanted Tupperware it would be listed in the OP.

Not cool.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Kind of agree to look at the DW... but for me, why not grab a blued Colt Delta?

99% of the time I’m very “snobby” when it come to my guns, in saying that, I would buy a used Colt for 800-1000, then send it to defensive creations (Dave Laubert) and have him do about 800 worth of work to it... (accurize/aesthetics/front strapcut/whatever).

If I could find a stainless one for less, I would do that that and just have it done in dlc/iornbond/Pvd. Just because it starts out as stainless doesn’t mean it has to stay/look stainless:)

Those are my personal thoughts on the subject

Top Bottom