• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Can you imagine this taking place in the United States? The outcry would be deafening.
    I bet animal rights groups won't say a word.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    These are not pets. They are wild animals, and a nuisance. The only way to handle wild nuisance animals is to either relocate them to a natural habitat, or euthanize. When your citizens are armed with sticks and rocks, they will kill with sticks and rocks. Doesn't look like they have a natural habitat to relocate them to.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    These are not pets. They are wild animals, and a nuisance. The only way to handle wild nuisance animals is to either relocate them to a natural habitat, or euthanize. When your citizens are armed with sticks and rocks, they will kill with sticks and rocks. Doesn't look like they have a natural habitat to relocate them to.
    Ive posted we have a huge feral cat problem in Alex, the Mayor told me last summer that the citys hands were tied because Anderson Pound would not take Alexandrias ferals.
    I said why do you believe that Anderson should be responsible for our ferals? No answer.
    He then said the city has been looking for a property to open our own pound.
    I asked what and who will take the 100 or more ferals we have? Again no answer.
    He asked me what I thought should be done?
    I told him to put a burner in behind the street dept buildings. He thought I was kidding.

Its a problem everywhere. Its a big problem when the feral population walks the town during daylight hours.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Feral dogs can and will do a lot of damage.

We lost 32 sheep in one night from a pack of feral dogs.
    Growing up the neighbors insurance company offered me 3 dollars a dog caught running and attacking the neighbors sheep. The area ran into some hard times in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. Lots of people left Madison county with 30 precent employment and 15 precent home loans. When they left the dogs were left behind and packed up. She would call me when the sheep were being chased. Then she called the insurance guy. The dogs would run them till they died cause of the wool. Others times they would just attack the neck.

i will not say if I cashed in on the 3 dollar offers.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Growing up the neighbors insurance company offered me 3 dollars a dog caught running and attacking the neighbors sheep. The area ran into some hard times in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. Lots of people left Madison county with 30 precent employment and 15 precent home loans. When they left the dogs were left behind and packed up. She would call me when the sheep were being chased. Then she called the insurance guy. The dogs would run them till they died cause of the wool. Others times they would just attack the neck.

i will not say if I cashed in on the 3 dollar offers.
    Yep. They ripped the necks out of most of them.

We shot 11 that night as they were attacking and I bet that wasn't half of them. We got a lot more of them in the following days.

The people who have to clean up the feral dog problems are not the bad guys. The people creating the feral dog problems are the bad guys. People have a hard time putting blame where it needs to be.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Animals are animals. I know that’s not a popular opinion, but it’s how I feel. Back when I lived in the middle of corn fields, I would occasionally come across a feral cat or 2. I didn’t mind that much since they were keeping the mice away. But when I would go to the garage and find one making a royal mess of the place, or smell like urine, game over. And when all you have handy at the moment is a shovel or a hammer, you use the tools that you have. Can’t even count the number of cats that I have dispatched.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If the kill can be made cleanly and quickly with a stick or rocks, I don’t find it too different from shooting them, etc.

If the animal suffers, and someone’s getting some kind of sick enjoyment from it? Well, it’s ass kicking time then, IMO. We don’t need oxygen wasters like that.

Then again, I tend to like dogs more than I like most people.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Once they join a pack and radicalize, they can be problems for towns.
    View attachment 235041
    We used to have a chihuahua (DoggyMama's dog originally) that had almost that exact same coloration, and the same attitude! She used to run the back fence with the 2 Rottweilers that lived behind us, and I'm pretty sure she thought she was as big as they were. :):

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I remember the problems at Eagle Creek when the deer population exploded. The board was apoplectic with the thought of killing deer yet the habitat was over grazed, deer were underweight or starving and disease was on the rise. After realizing options like relocation and sterilization were too expensive they finally consented to DNR running controlled hunts. I remember some public outrage but facts matter (outside of politics) and the deer problem had to be addressed.

I'm guessing rabies is another concern for the mayor.

Top Bottom