• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't worry, I'm not the guy.:D That being said, it's important that whenever you have an issue like this (whether at the range or anywhere in life) that you make sure that your frustration is communicated:

1) To the right person (when in doubt, copy several people)
    2) As constructively as possible (sometimes this is tough)
    3) Just the facts
    4) Understands that the person who is wrong may have been trying to do the right thing, but just failed at it.

In this case, today is the first day I've actually heard anything about this, so it's my first opportunity to do anything about it. As a range, we really pride ourselves on having a good shooting experience for our members (this is why I got involved in the first place), so we want to make this right. Any help folks can give us to make this better for everybody, would be much appreciated.
    See you at the December Board Meeting,
    Chuck

Thanks for responding Chuck. I have not been back since this happened as I tend to react poorly to improper supervision and that is what we are having.

Yes, the best of intentions. Yes, very poorly translated to the members. My last 3 visits to the range were marred by being observed like a kindergartner.

Please know it would have been a few days before I could have said anything of this to you good folks as I had to put a new rear sight on my Springfield. I am still mad about this. Better to avoid an issue as to insure it ends badly.

I trust you will deal with this in a timely fashion.

Again,

Thanks

CM

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for responding Chuck. I have not been back since this happened as I tend to react poorly to improper supervision and that is what we are having.

Yes, the best of intentions. Yes, very poorly translated to the members. My last 3 visits to the range were marred by being observed like a kindergartner.

Please know it would have been a few days before I could have said anything of this to you good folks as I had to put a new rear sight on my Springfield. I am still mad about this. Better to avoid an issue as to insure it ends badly.

I trust you will deal with this in a timely fashion.

Again,

Thanks

CM

I understand, and we will work on it. Thank you for your honest feedback.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm there often (2-3 times weekly), never a problem!! I have seen the RO telling people what they can and cannot do.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    I was there wednesday prior to Thanksgiving and we joined in some fellows in the bay with the steel plates. My daughter was standing next to the table, which was just a tad bit ahead of the bench we were using. He kinda read us the riot act about not being ahead of where the other fellows were firing from. I do not believe we were being unsafe in any way. So, fortunately he didn't grab her or anything like that, as I probably would have become the over-protective father. DON'T touch my child. period. It is nice to see it discussed here, as I hadn't heard anything about RO's patrolling. I am not intending to leave, just don't like being, ahh ordered around at the club. thanks, jack :popcorn:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    This really unfortunate to hear about. I joined to avoid situations like this. It has been awhile since I have had a chance to go to the range. However, after reading this, I'm not sure I want to return. I'll have to carefully consider sending in my renewal next year.

Fredo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    In A Yellow Submarin
    I am one of the safety officers at MCFG all I want to say is this: "Everyone, please come to meetings and or make your feedback known to the board. If we don't know about a problem it is hard to make it go away. "
    Fredo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am one of the safety officers at MCFG all I want to say is this: "Everyone, please come to meetings and or make your feedback known to the board. If we don't know about a problem it is hard to make it go away. "
    Fredo

I think we all understand what is needed. I thank you for responding. My feelings are still the same. There have been way to many folks complaining already for this situation not to be known by those on the board. If I can make the time in my already overloaded schedule I will try and be there.

Thanks again,

CM

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I met a guy there to drop off a pistol I worked on and was impressed with the facility. My thought was to apply for membership but I think I'll wait until this all shakes out. One experience with a range Nazi at Atterbury was enough to sour me on going there and I certainly don't need anything else to irritate my ulcer. I"ll just grab some:popcorn: and see what develops here.
    PS... +1 to CM for showing restraint in a difficult situation.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    .....and people wonder why I "politely" decline invitations to join their shooting clubs. ACC, HCFG, Wildcat Valley.........and now at MCFG. I see this kind of "politiks" going on and just shake my head. Yea, I like attending organized shooting competitions at your clubs, but I'm not paying for a membership when I can't get to membership meetings that are always scheduled during the week while I'm out of town WORKING and listening to this kind of cr@p just turns my stomach.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been a bit since I was there due to the berm maintenance and my schedule getting hectic. My main reason for being a member of MCF&G has been the respectful, self policing of safety practices that all the members I have encountered perform. I generally try and go during hours of lesser use, so I may not have seen the behavior that apparently brought on the need for ROs beyond the membership themselves.

Hopefully the RO mentioned in this thread and others don't ruin a good club.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    sounds like the same guy who decided he needed to watch the DP101 class ACT put on at MCFG. He wanted to "make sure we were safe", and wouldn't leave. He was being a real PITA.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    John, there are several volunteer ROs at MCFG and I happen to be one of them. With the large number of new members, we began experiencing a number of safety violations, including members shooting .223, 7.62x39 and other calibers not on the approved list.

I'm not sure what happened, but we are only volunteering in order to free of incidents that could jeopardize the range from continuing to remain open.

If members are violating the rules, then cancel their memberships. Why punish the rest of us with ROs?

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I have been there a couple times as a visitor and there was no one else even there (well, 1 guy was for a few minutes). I absolutely loved it. It was nice not having any range officers breathing down my neck. Hopefully this doesn't become too prevalent, as I'd really like to join.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have been there a couple times as a visitor and there was no one else even there (well, 1 guy was for a few minutes). I absolutely loved it. It was nice not having any range officers breathing down my neck. Hopefully this doesn't become too prevalent, as I'd really like to join.
    If the RO is doing their duties properly and you in turn are acting as expected on a public range (safely and abiding by range rules), then there should be NO RO "breathing down your neck." :dunno:

I've heard complaints about "nazi ROs" from both Atterbury and now MCFG. An adequate amount of salt should be taken with ANYONE's input on this topic usually.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    If the RO is doing their duties properly and you in turn are acting as expected on a public range (safely and abiding by range rules), then there should be NO RO "breathing down your neck." :dunno:

I've heard complaints about "nazi ROs" from both Atterbury and now MCFG. An adequate amount of salt should be taken with ANYONE's input on this topic usually.

Agreed, but (like you said), these stories make me kind of nervous.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Agreed, but (like you said), these stories make me kind of nervous.
    Indeed. But sometimes you have guys that merely get their feelings hurt by an RO calling them out for an infraction and from then on, they refuse to be around any ROs. Hence, the salt. :):

Admittedly I have not paid to be a member of or even utilized MCFG for many years now, but I sure hope they are utilizing "certified" RO's. Certifications are relevant only to a certain degree, but at least you would have a measureable standard of knowledge base to work from.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    sounds like the same guy who decided he needed to watch the DP101 class ACT put on at MCFG. He wanted to "make sure we were safe", and wouldn't leave. He was being a real PITA.

Even before the whole RO situation, earlier in the year, I took the Intermediate Pistol ACT class out at MCF&G in the bays and we had a member decide to come over and disrupt the class to talk to Coach for similar reasons. I can only imagine if this individual now has an RO "badge" how he'd act.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If members are violating the rules, then cancel their memberships. Why punish the rest of us with ROs?

After the next meeting, I am sure the club officers will take care of this matter and ensure the members are no longer pestered by our presence. I don't see this as punishment, but a way to POSSIBLY prevent anything from happening that could get the club closed down, which could easily happen in today's climate.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom