• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So you might wonder why I shared this here and not the competition sub forum. I think there is a lot that can be gained for the semi serious to very serious gun carrier by competition. This video highlights a lot of the reasons. These guys are pretty good stand and deliver shooters, however you put them in this environment, and well. And this was after they did a crash course with a couple of GM shooters. One big benefit you can get is how to run your gun safely and efficiently under stress.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    So you might wonder why I shared this here and not the competition sub forum. I think there is a lot that can be gained for the semi serious to very serious gun carrier by competition. This video highlights a lot of the reasons. These guys are pretty good stand and deliver shooters, however you put them in this environment, and well. And this was after they did a crash course with a couple of GM shooters. One big benefit you can get is how to run your gun safely and efficiently under stress.

Yep that's how it goes.
    This does do a good job of highlighting a few things. Pay attention to time it takes to engage first targets, transition speed, ability to recognize targets, the ability to maneuver around barriers.

Biggest thing for me is pay attention to the malfunctions, ability to recognize the malfunction, fumbled gear, even the ability to recognize you need a reload. These guys are using some solid equipment and and it malfed on them, because they all do. Don't think your equipment is not going to malfunction on you.

Overall these guys did a solid job, definitely above average and they have pretty good muzzle awareness. I will say he is right when he said to drop the ego, it is very humbling.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I suppose for me it has to be to "drop the ego". I don't think of myself as having an ego, but my failure to join the competition scene must be saying otherwise. :)

In reality I do have other reasons for not competing, at least at this stage of my life.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I suppose for me it has to be to "drop the ego". I don't think of myself as having an ego, but my failure to join the competition scene must be saying otherwise. :)

In reality I do have other reasons for not competing, at least at this stage of my life.
    It doesn't have to be about competing. It can be about learning and lots of fun.

My first competition I was confident that I was going to do great. I learned on the first stage that was not the case, once you get passed that you're fine. It really is eye opening when you see some of the guys that are really good. They put in a lot of work to be at that level.

You really should give it a shot. You will see people of all skill levels there.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

It is good to hear from you again. I was getting concerned.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yep that's how it goes.
    This does do a good job of highlighting a few things. Pay attention to time it takes to engage first targets, transition speed, ability to recognize targets, the ability to maneuver around barriers.

Biggest thing for me is pay attention to the malfunctions, ability to recognize the malfunction, fumbled gear, even the ability to recognize you need a reload. These guys are using some solid equipment and and it malfed on them, because they all do. Don't think your equipment is not going to malfunction on you.

Overall these guys did a solid job, definitely above average and they have pretty good muzzle awareness. I will say he is right when he said to drop the ego, it is very humbling.
    You bring up most of the points I noticed. Along with first stage jitters. All you are probably going to get on the street is the first stage so might as well get used to it,

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I suck at it, but I still enjoy it.

I started too late to ever get any good at shooting competitions. Now I'm too old, fat, slow, and unsteady to even be competitive. By competitive I mean somewhere around the 50th percentile. I do however still enjoy the local competitions and I learned something almost every match.

It is also an excellent way to gain some inoculation to stress when running a fire. As well as the opportunity to test gear on the clock.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I suck at it, but I still enjoy it.

I started too late to ever get any good at shooting competitions. Now I'm too old, fat, slow, and unsteady to even be competitive. By competitive I mean somewhere around the 50th percentile. I do however still enjoy the local competitions and I learn something almost every match.

It is also an excellent way to gain some inoculation to stress when running a firearm. As well as the opportunity to test gear on the clock.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You bring up most of the points I noticed. Along with first stage jitters. All you are probably going to get on the street is the first stage so might as well get used to it,
    Absolutely.

How you perform on the first stage is kind of a reflection of your level of skill. I say kind of because in the real world you don't get a walkthrough and planning/prep time, but as far as gun handling it's a reflection. A lot of people are also not using the same equipment as they're using at a competition.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It doesn't have to be about competing. It can be about learning and lots of fun.

My first competition I was confident that I was going to do great. I learned on the first stage that was not the case, once you get passed that you're fine. It really is eye opening when you see some of the guys that are really good. They put in a lot of work to be at that level.

You really should give it a shot. You will see people of all skill levels there.
    I always get a kick out of the "tactical" guys who come in and think they are going to tear it up only to be very embarrassed. I am not criticizing, I was one of those people. Though I have become a bit of a gamer, my main focus is still defensive use of the handgun.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I always get a kick out of the "tactical" guys who come in and think they are going to tear it up only to be very embarrassed. I am not criticizing, I was one of those people. Though I have become a bit of a gamer, my main focus is still defensive use of the handgun.
    Oh yeah. My first was a train wreck. Launched a mag to the ground which immediately unloaded itself, then I proceeded to kick it across the ground. Shot an activator then fired one round on a swinger and then stood there at slide lock trying to fire another round at that swinger for what felt like a couple hours.

I got razzed and I loved it. It was a great time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is good to hear from you again. I was getting concerned.
    I'm here and on the drills thread. I missed a couple range sessions but my drills are so mundane compared to what you and backtrail does that I haven't been posting anything. I'm basically shooting that 20 round drill along with some failure to neutralize, then I move on to the plate rack, Texas Star at times(when the plates are imbedded in the mud!) and the dueling tree. I'm still shooting both the .22 and the 9 and I am seeing my skills improve ever so slightly and I believe it has to do with shooting the .22. I get more rounds downrange with each session.

I'm facing a job termination in 60 days, so I am both saving money and investing time looking for a new job and possibly going out on my own if I can't find something.

A fair amount of stress right now so I have decided not to try any competitions for the time being.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm here and on the drills thread. I missed a couple range sessions but my drills are so mundane compared to what you and backtrail does that I haven't been posting anything. I'm basically shooting that 20 round drill along with some failure to neutralize, then I move on to the plate rack, Texas Star at times(when the plates are imbedded in the mud!) and the dueling tree. I'm still shooting both the .22 and the 9 and I am seeing my skills improve ever so slightly and I believe it has to do with shooting the .22. I get more rounds downrange with each session.

I'm facing a job termination in 60 days, so I am both saving money and investing time looking for a new job and possibly going out on my own if I can't find something.

A fair amount of stress right now so I have decided not to try any competitions for the time being.
    I wish you the best my friend. If there is anything I can do, reach out. Once I get this current hernia situation fixed, we should look at meeting up and shooting a match somewhere between us distance wise.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    This is actually a really good example of the "thinking" gunfighter, as well as the need for truly exercising your gear. Limitations will be found and laid bare before you.

Staying in the fight and making good decisions while maintaining speed & accuracy are great skills to keep honed.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Oh yeah. My first was a train wreck. Launched a mag to the ground which immediately unloaded itself, then I proceeded to kick it across the ground. Shot an activator then fired one round on a swinger and then stood there at slide lock trying to fire another round at that swinger for what felt like a couple hours.

I got razzed and I loved it. It was a great time.
    You just haven't lived until you've rammed your last mag into your gun during a stage, sheared the baseplate off of it with sheer force of aggression, and exploded the spring and 22 rounds all over your body and the ground, with "Coach" standing behind you adding "helpful commentary" like "that was dazzling."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wish you the best my friend. If there is anything I can do, reach out. Once I get this current hernia situation fixed, we should look at meeting up and shooting a match somewhere between us distance wise.
    I know you shot that fall match in Evansville, because my brother was there and I asked if he squadded with you by chance but he and his old farts from TN had their own squad. I might be up for that one, if not one sooner.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I enjoy the opportunity to practice handling my guns while moving and shooting at different distances. When I've been asked if I shoot competitively, I usually respond no because my scores are not usually competitive. ;)
    One thing I do is make the others feel better about their own abilities. I am usually near the bottom of the standings. I look at it as competing with myself and seeing how good I feel about how I did compared to my own expectations.

Top Bottom