• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I enjoy the opportunity to practice handling my guns while moving and shooting at different distances. When I've been asked if I shoot competitively, I usually respond no because my scores are not usually competitive. ;)
    One thing I do is make the others feel better about their own abilities. I am usually near the bottom of the standings. I look at it as competing with myself and seeing how good I feel about how I did compared to my own expectations.
    As long as you're learning and having fun, who cares about the scores.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I enjoy the opportunity to practice handling my guns while moving and shooting at different distances. When I've been asked if I shoot competitively, I usually respond no because my scores are not usually competitive. ;)
    One thing I do is make the others feel better about their own abilities. I am usually near the bottom of the standings. I look at it as competing with myself and seeing how good I feel about how I did compared to my own expectations.

Safe gun handling is a big thing. Without attending organized shooting events, you'd be amazed how many folks are wondering around out there, a danger to others and themselves. Well intentioned folks can "know" the safety rules and still have a lack of a real world grasp of them. They may not realize the issues they have, without other eyes to see the problems? The fact that you can readily get through a match, without a DQ, says a lot.

You don't have to contend for the top of the score sheet to benefit greatly from competition. The things learned about the gun mechanics, drawing, moving and working under the pressure of the timer can't really be duplicated by yourself or with random friends at the range.

Another side of the whole competition thing is that the folks at the top of the score sheet were once you and me. While we may not pursue their level, they know that without those of us at the bottom of the sheet, there would be no top of the sheet.

:twocents:

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Very late to this thread but, I am just getting started.

Last weekend I went to watch an IDPA match at Atlanta CC.
    Reading through each of the CoF Stages and watching the procedural/order of operations was very enlightening.
    It is one thing to read the rules and procedures, it is something else to witness firsthand. Observing with no vested interest was very helpful in understanding the rules and the flow of the competition.

I am would like to be ramped up and start competing by the middle of June or early July.
    I look forward to "being humbled" as I learn and hopefully improve.

Top Bottom