• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    You're not fooling anyone. USAF dining facilities in war zones are probably like Brazilian steak houses, but with better service.

Right?!? When I was in the "real" Army, back in the 1980's, a detachment of us from Fort Campbell flew in to Griffiss AFB, a tiny base in upstate NY. When we went to the USAF mess hall for dinner, we were REALLY, REALLY surprised at how much it was like a civilian cafeteria and certain NOT like an Army "dining facility." They actually served food the Airmen actually wanted to eat, and they had CHOICES. CHOICES. Really, CHOICES.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You're not fooling anyone. USAF dining facilities in war zones are probably like Brazilian steak houses, but with better service.

My brother (on INGO as repeater) described visiting an AF DFAC as heavenly, or at least that's the way it sounded.
    Said he enjoyed it so much, he wanted to go outside and puke, so he could go back in and eat again.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Like many things in life, it depends. The two USAF chow halls in Iceland (Rockville Radar Site and the West End of the flightline when we had F-15s there) were outstanding. The Keflavik NAS Iceland Navy EDF (Enlisted Dining Facility, should've been Early Death Facility) was awful. Icelandics can't cook. Moody AFB, Georgia? Sucked. Most flightline snack bars (walk-up/to go chow halls)? Pretty good. Gunter Annex of Maxwell AFB, Alabama? Awful.

I mentioned Qatar earlier (CAOC Compound was much smaller so it was better than the HUGE one over in Coalition Compound). TCNs (Third-Country Nationals) working there with USAF Food Services troops acting as QAEs (Quality Assurance Evaluators). We knew what day of the week it was by what we were eating. Friday was Italian, Tuesday was Southern (cornmeal breaded fish, baked mac&cheese, cornbread). Coffee, you couldn't use it as paint remover because it ate the metal. Add 1/4 cup of hot water and it was just battery acid. One of the dishwashers looked like Saddam Hussein. Want an omelette? Two Filipino dudes who argued all the time worked the grill nearly every day (then again, we worked nearly everyday too.) I think the HUGE chow halls at Balad, Iraq were on par with ours. I never made it to Kirkuk, but I heard theirs was AWESOME. Oh yeah, we had fresh baked cookies and and a TCN to dip our ice cream. What can I say, I picked the right recruiter :laugh:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Right?!? When I was in the "real" Army, back in the 1980's, a detachment of us from Fort Campbell flew in to Griffiss AFB, a tiny base in upstate NY. When we went to the USAF mess hall for dinner, we were REALLY, REALLY surprised at how much it was like a civilian cafeteria and certain NOT like an Army "dining facility." They actually served food the Airmen actually wanted to eat, and they had CHOICES. CHOICES. Really, CHOICES.

:laugh:

When you visited Griffiss was a SAC base, home to a squadron of BUFFs and tankers that stood nuclear alert every day, they had a TAC squadron of air defense interceptors (F-106)...they had nukes too standing alert, it also hosted the Air Force Research Lab for Command and Control and the NORAD North Eastern Air Defense Sector. It sports a 13,000' runway that's 750' wide. It may not have been Army land space big but the AF doesn't need to own maneuver area because theirs is all of the atmosphere over the planet. The lab and now EADS are still there.

Some of the best grub I ever had in the military was in the Army in the field. Our mess hall was vying for the award of "Best Field Kitchen" in the FRG and served up T-Bone steaks, shrimp, lobster, baked potatoes with all the fixins and more that I don't recall right now but it was quite the spread. After they blew their entire years budget not getting that award we spent a lot of time eating C-Rats.

When I went through OTS in the AF the mess hall had two different sides, fast food and "healthy". Fast food side was burgers and fries, fried chicken and mashed potatoes, etc. The "healthy" side was lobster, steak, baked potatoes, etc. The line on the healthy side was always shorter :dunno:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    :laugh:

Some of the best grub I ever had in the military was in the Army in the field. Our mess hall was vying for the award of "Best Field Kitchen" in the FRG and served up T-Bone steaks, shrimp, lobster, baked potatoes with all the fixins and more that I don't recall right now but it was quite the spread. After they blew their entire years budget not getting that award we spent a lot of time eating C-Rats.

Best food in the field- that reminds me that in the same trip we went to Fort Drum (pre 10th Mountain days) to train New York Army National Guard field artillery guys. The battery I was training would take up a collection at the beginning of Annual Training, and the cooks would use the money to supplement their rations draw. As they were "real" food service folks in their civilian jobs, they took their mission of feeding the troops seriously. Some of the best Army food I've had, especially for field food.

Good point about the "small" base being relative; on posts where field artillery train we needed just a bit more room for the impact area. :):

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    DUDE! It's been too long! I need to tell you about my recent Massad Ayoob dreams. HAHAHA!

giphy.gif

Top Bottom