• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Their belief is true. The VAST majority of people could not care less about OC and most would rather not see it.

That probably also includes most of the folks who CC.

I woud be curious to know what's the percentage of OC vs CC in Indiana since both are legal.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'm sure, as CM said it is a CYA situation. It doesn't appear to me we've lost anything and their requests/suggestions mean nothing to me because I'm within the law. We have several options, still open carry, conceal carry or just don't go there. If they want to confront you while open carrying and ask you to leave you can leave or they will probably have you trespassed. If you don't want to shop there it won't hurt if they trespass you. I think we all know a store making a rule doesn't override State law. I'll continue to do what I've been doing and any business that doesn't want me or my $$$ can kiss my ENtire A-- but I'm not going to disarm. In the end letting their suggestions about how you carry or where you carry trouble you is only going to give YOU an ulcer. If they start losing money they will change their mind. If there's enough of us and they don't change their mind someone will fill the gap because someone always fills the gap if there's money to be made. This could be a blessing in disguise. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    These companies are ASKING that people not openly carry in their stores. When people ask me, politely, to do or not do something I generally find it a good idea to comply.

A big part of the 2nd Amendment battle is winning the hearts and minds of our fellow citizens. If any of us carry openly in any of these establishments that have asked, not demanded, that we not do so and other shoppers view us what impression is that going to create in their minds?

Having a right to do something doesn't make it a good idea to do it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm sure, as CM said it is a CYA situation. It doesn't appear to me we've lost anything and their requests/suggestions mean nothing to me because I'm within the law. We have several options, still open carry, conceal carry or just don't go there. If they want to confront you while open carrying and ask you to leave you can leave or they will probably have you trespassed. If you don't want to shop there it won't hurt if they trespass you. I think we all know a store making a rule doesn't override State law. I'll continue to do what I've been doing and any business that doesn't want me or my $$$ can kiss my ENtire A-- but I'm not going to disarm. In the end letting their suggestions about how you carry or where you carry trouble you is only going to give YOU an ulcer. If they start losing money they will change their mind. If there's enough of us and they don't change their mind someone will fill the gap because someone always fills the gap if there's money to be made. This could be a blessing in disguise. :)
    [FONT=&amp] [/FONT]
    Then why bother going there OCing in the first place? Unless it is to make a scene doing something KNOWING they don't want you doing it. Who is asking you to disarm? They are asking you to cover it? Not the same thing unless you are not capable of CC.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Then why bother going there OCing in the first place? Unless it is to make a scene doing something KNOWING they don't want you doing it. Who is asking you to disarm? They are asking you to cover it? Not the same thing unless you are not capable of CC.

Because it's myyyyeee riiiites!!!!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    These companies are ASKING that people not openly carry in their stores. When people ask me, politely, to do or not do something I generally find it a good idea to comply.

A big part of the 2nd Amendment battle is winning the hearts and minds of our fellow citizens. If any of us carry openly in any of these establishments that have asked, not demanded, that we not do so and other shoppers view us what impression is that going to create in their minds?

Having a right to do something doesn't make it a good idea to do it.

This^^^^^

It is their business so they can make the rules just like we make the rules in our home.
    Is this the start of more restrictions later on? I don't know but instead of ASKING people to not open carry they could have just went gun-free zone and been done with it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

:lol2: Exactly, I never OC but some feel it's their right and they must exercise it to be happy. I was trying to make the point that it can be your "right" and a bad idea at the same time. It's your right to go when the light turns green but if you notice someone is running the red light at the same time it's a really bad idea.
    If a business owner asks me for something reasonable like covering my firearm or not to bring my dog in his business I'm happy to comply. It's the owners right to ask you to cover your firearm in their place of business and to trespass you if you refuse just as it's your right to OC. Cover your firearm or don't patronize the business. The only loss is the $$$ lost by the business when you don't shop there. :)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    CULTURE DRIVES POLITICS AND POLITICS CONTROL YOUR LIFE. THESE PEOPLE ARE RE-SHAPING OUR CULTURE TO MATCH THEIR OWN PREFERENCES, WHICH WILL INEVITABLY LEAD TO NEW LAWS THAT INFRINGE ON YOUR LIBERTY.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Their belief is true. The VAST majority of people could not care less about OC and most would rather not see it.

This is 100% true. And this includes the vast majority of gun owners, truth be told. Bubba in his sweatpants with his Jennings .380 hanging off of his waistband in a nylon clip sheath at the local Walmart is not winning any hearts and minds.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get that it's everyone's right to OC and generally it doesn't bother me. Now when I see someone OC in a manner that's really not a good idea, I want to say something but I just keep my mouth shut in hopes that they will learn from it. It also makes me wonder if they are prepared to fight back should some 5yo choose to disarm them...especially when often I see them with an arm load of stuff in the check out line.
    As someone else said just because it's legal to do something doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. Yes, to some degree it aggravates me that so many box stores are jumping on the band wagon. But they are right, to many people it makes them uncomfortable. Heck I've been out with my wife and she has seen people OC and always makes a point to point them out to me because it makes her a little edgy...even when she knows I am CC'ing.

It doesn't bother me so much that stores ask us not to OC, that's their right. I will also say that I think part of their reasoning goes back to what happened after the active killer incident at the Walmart when the idiot decided to OC an AR while also wearing a tacticool vest etc at a Walmart. Concealed means concealed and you will avoid unneeded attention and they won't bother you.
    Now I will also say we as responsible gun owners need to find a way to bring our "gun culture" more main stream again. To me that is the challenge

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by Denny347 Then why bother going there OCing in the first place? Unless it is to make a scene doing something KNOWING they don't want you doing it. Who is asking you to disarm? They are asking you to cover it? Not the same thing unless you are not capable of CC.

But when we're on private property, the property owner's rights as far as carrying firearms supersedes our 2nd Amendment rights.
    They have the right to infringe on our right to keep and bear arms while we're on their property.
    And we have the right to not go there.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I get that it's everyone's right to OC and generally it doesn't bother me. Now when I see someone OC in a manner that's really not a good idea, I want to say something but I just keep my mouth shut in hopes that they will learn from it. It also makes me wonder if they are prepared to fight back should some 5yo choose to disarm them...especially when often I see them with an arm load of stuff in the check out line. There's irresponsible CC too (like pocket carry without a proper pocket holster). And that same armload of stuff keeps a CCer from getting to his weapon too, you know...
    As someone else said just because it's legal to do something doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. Yes, to some degree it aggravates me that so many box stores are jumping on the band wagon. But they are right, to many people it makes them uncomfortable. Heck I've been out with my wife and she has seen people OC and always makes a point to point them out to me because it makes her a little edgy...even when she knows I am CC'ing. I've OCd for years and not had one single negative incident (worth remembering, at least).

It doesn't bother me so much that stores ask us not to OC, that's their right. I will also say that I think part of their reasoning goes back to what happened after the active killer incident at the Walmart when the idiot decided to OC an AR while also wearing a tacticool vest etc at a Walmart. Concealed means concealed and you will avoid unneeded attention and they won't bother you.
    Now I will also say we as responsible gun owners need to find a way to bring our "gun culture" more main stream again. To me that is the challenge I'm all ears here. Anyone who doesn't chalk the latest round of anti-gun retailer policies is in denial. The current trajectory is not good.

Contradictory. My thoughts inserted in red. I don't mind folks expressing their CC preference but if you're gonna "judge" OC be fair about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Look at it this way fellas. Lawyers are involved. CYA is in full swing. This is a major CYA move as they feel it is an extra blanket of protection when bad stuff happens and the law suits start up. And they will.

They seriously believe they are pandering to a large majority. And as to the squeaky wheel they are.

How is this CYA though? It's about keeping the sheep from panicking at the sight of a "scary gun" on somebody's hip. Whether it's covered by my t-shirt or out in the open, I'm still gonna be carrying. I've had pretty much zero reaction anywhere I've open carried, and the few that I have had have been positive, like, "Whatcha carrying there?" Or I've had one gas station owner (middle eastern man, probably about my age) ask me questions about getting a carry license, which I took as a positive.

Top Bottom