• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which store between the two do you prefer?

• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have not gone to our local Meijer since the Walmart opened. The Walmart is closer to my house and they have the ammo cage and Red Box, which are two of their main attractions for me.

Tonight I had to go over to Meijer to pick up a prescription and could not help but to notice they had a much better produce display. You could actually smell the fruit and vegetables. They also had a lot of two-for sale items, which Walmart never has. The final thing that really impressed me was their self-checkout. I could get my items, scan, pay and leave. I didn't have to wait in the 20 items or less items, behind a group of people with 30 items.

I didn't look to see if they carry ammo, but if they do, I've probably made my last visit to Walmart.

Which store do you prefer?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    They do carry ammo, though I doubt their stock is any better than Meijer. The one in Noblesville has a Redbox near the customer service area. I love Meijer, only times I have been to WalMart in the past year were for ammo & targets because their stock and prices were better.

jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Meijers is my choice. Only visit wal-mart when Meijers is out of ammo. My first official job was at a Meijers when I turned 16 so I am a little biased.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Meijer had THE best produce section of any grocery in our area. Their stores are cleaner and better lit than Wal Mart. They also carry some ammo; of course, none lately.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Meijer & WalMart compete for 2 different target markets. Yes, there is some overlap. However, the demographics of the guy walking through the door at Meijer is, on average, quite different from the guy entering WalMart. Asking "which do you prefer?" is a bit nonsensical. It would be like asking "do you buy a Buick or a Kia?" It all depends on social status, disposable income, etc. Many Meijer shoppers wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart. Many WalMart shoppers would consider the prices at Meijer excessive, despite the better quality. I honestly can't enter a WalMart at any time of day other than about 9-11 am. It's the only time that I can go there that I don't feel as though I must rush home to shower.

Limiting the conversation to ammo, I wouldn't buy it at either store. There are online sources that are much better.

e-jism

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    I have been going to WalMart for ammo, when they have it. There is a Meijer close to where I work, but I didn't know they carried ammo. I'll check it out this week.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a WalMart closest to me, but would much rather go to Meijer. The Meijer thats the closest would be the one in New Albany an it is so much nicer than any of the Wal-Marts Ive been in. An they carry way more stuff to.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I'll be honest I shop at Meijer to avoid the Walmart crowd plain and simple. I could hit the lottery walking in to Walmart and still come out in a bad mood...... Most of this attitude comes from experiences at the Clarksville Walmart New Albany isn't as bad.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For produce, bakery and meat/fish departments, it's hard to beat the Meijer.

I prefer it walmart on the grocery side. The sales beat walmart by a mile too. Regular prices? hit or miss compared to walmart.

On the general merchandise side walmart is usually cheaper.

If I need to grab a single item and get in and out quick, meijer wins hands down.

Walmart is quickly becoming the new kmart.

If Target sold ammo, I'd probably never set foot in a walmart again.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I shop Walmart, because its closest. I have to drive a ways for meijer.

By the way, Brownsburg Walmart now has self checkouts. I LOVE them!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Meijer's bought out the old Kmart store in Portage, In. and should have the remodeled store opened this spring, right across the street from the Walmart. Wife and daughter's can't wait to go to the Portage Meijers instead of the Merrillville store.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did not vote as we use both stores in our area. One will have several items we use or need but not the rest. Grand daughter has a Glutton free diet due to allergy's and Meijers has a better selection of these foods. Wal mart has other things. No ammo at our wal mart and that is a good thing. Thugs have to pay Dons prices.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Meijer does have much better produce and meat sections, however WalMart has a few things that I love. Baby diapers. Believe it or not I think the WalMart brand is the best I have ever used, and cheaper than the name brands too. Some of their store brand trail mixes are pretty awesome as well. For years I lived in Franklin and I didn't understand the joke about "people of WalMart". That was just where everyone shopped down there. Now that I live in Indy, I get it! I live very close to a WalMart neighborhood market so that's where I go unless I need something they would only have at "the big WalMart". Even then, it's still closer than Meijer. Fortunately, both WalMarts I go to always have their self checkout open and there's no item limit on them.

Top Bottom