• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which store between the two do you prefer?

• Total voters

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    WTF? All I can say. You think you are any better than the next person because you shop at Meijer? BTW I walk though both doors regularly. Do my DEMOGRAPHICS change when I do?

Sometimes when I read things like this, I tend to believe the person is more upwardly mobile in their mind than they really are.

Well, you'd both have to believe that I am a racist/elitist/****-don't-stink kind of person because I have almost the same exact opinion (at least for the ones down here).

Que, I know your Walmart and Meijer ;) and take it from me, the contrast is a country mile wide. I'm in the grocery store no less than twice a week. Our Walmart and Meijer are literal neighbors and a blind man could see the difference in the clientele that walks through the doors.

I have resigned myself to spending more at Meijer because it is a far better shopping experience in every way.

But if you're still on the fence, think on this: there is no People of Meijer website.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Sometimes when I read things like this, I tend to believe the person is more upwardly mobile in their mind than they really are.

Perhaps in some cases you could be correct. You also could be completely mistaken. Despite the stereotype to the contrary, there are some well-educated, financially successful people who live in Indiana. Some of them, for reasons as varied as the sample group itself, may choose to frequent WalMart. However, I'm comfortable asserting that the majority do not.

In either case, envy or jealousy of this group of our population, who, in most cases, worked harder and had a better gift, is foolish. If you choose to shop at WalMart (or must do so), then so be it. If they don't, and they can afford the real or perceived quality of Meijer, then so be that as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My shopping experience is about finding the products I need. I don't really care what people look like when I shop. If some need to find people who look like them or meets their level of acceptance, that't fine. I just want sweet oranges, crisp apples, big grapes and a pineapple every now and then.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Perhaps in some cases you could be correct. You also could be completely mistaken. Despite the stereotype to the contrary, there are some well-educated, financially successful people who live in Indiana. Some of them, for reasons as varied as the sample group itself, may choose to frequent WalMart. However, I'm comfortable asserting that the majority do not.

In either case, envy or jealousy of this group of our population, who, in most cases, worked harder and had a better gift, is foolish. If you choose to shop at WalMart (or must do so), then so be it. If they don't, and they can afford the real or perceived quality of Meijer, then so be that as well.

You are serious, aren't you? You know this is just a discussion about a grocery store, right?

I am not even sure if Meijer is more expensive than Walmart. I'm not the best comparison shopper. My wife looks out for the pennies better than I do. I can say that I've never been nervous about paying the bill at the checkout counter. ;)

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Meijer's meat and produce simply destroys Walmart's and their prices really are not that far off on most things, a lot of times they're cheaper in fact. We tend to shop both, but if I know we're getting any fresh items it's not even a question.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I don't see how Meijer and walmart don't go after the same market. Even Target is now going after the walmart clientele.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't see how Meijer and walmart don't go after the same market. Even Target is now going after the walmart clientele.
    Target has been doing that for years. It's just Walmart with a yuppy image to make you think they have higher quality products. If you shop at Target you're buying the same product you could get at Walmart for dollars more.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Meijer & WalMart compete for 2 different target markets. Yes, there is some overlap. However, the demographics of the guy walking through the door at Meijer is, on average, quite different from the guy entering WalMart. Asking "which do you prefer?" is a bit nonsensical. It would be like asking "do you buy a Buick or a Kia?" It all depends on social status, disposable income, etc. Many Meijer shoppers wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart. Many WalMart shoppers would consider the prices at Meijer excessive, despite the better quality. I honestly can't enter a WalMart at any time of day other than about 9-11 am. It's the only time that I can go there that I don't feel as though I must rush home to shower.

Limiting the conversation to ammo, I wouldn't buy it at either store. There are online sources that are much better.
    Wow, thanks for rolling me into the poor dirty person stereotype because I shop at Walmart... Is my wife even worse because she works there?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, thanks for rolling me into the poor dirty person stereotype because I shop at Walmart... Is my wife even worse because she works there?

I don't know about anyone else, but I see just as many "trashy" people at Meijer as I do at WalMart. I see just as many "non trashy" people as well. Maybe in other areas it's different, but around here the clientele is pretty much the same at both stores. And quite frankly if someone is going to judge what kind of a person I am based on my preference of stores in which to shop then I have no desire to be acquainted with that person in any way. I have no room in my life for that kind of judgment.

Edit: not saying anyone here was "judging" the quality of people by their store preferences...just noting that MANY people do

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I don't know about anyone else, but I see just as many "trashy" people at Meijer as I do at WalMart. I see just as many "non trashy" people as well. Maybe in other areas it's different, but around here the clientele is pretty much the same at both stores. And quite frankly if someone is going to judge what kind of a person I am based on my preference of stores in which to shop then I have no desire to be acquainted with that person in any way. I have no room in my life for that kind of judgment.

Edit: not saying anyone here was "judging" the quality of people by their store preferences...just noting that MANY people do

+1 well said. I don't see the difference in quality between stores either, we buy a lot of great value brand stuff to save money, some of it is actually better than name brand, it's a lot cheaper than Kroger (our other option that's close) and the 10% discount doesn't hurt anything. We buy our meat, produce, everything there. I only spend big money on butcher quality steaks once a summer to grill for me and the wife, any other time, it's all from Walmart.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My preferred store is Kroger. I'm good with prices so I know which stores are the better deal. There are certain things I buy at Kroger, a select group of items I get at Walmart & everything else at Meijer.

Walmart is no longer the cheapest place to shop. Most days it's not worth fighting the crowds to go there. There are a few items they are the only or best place to buy. I get mostly those items there.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    +1 well said. I don't see the difference in quality between stores either, we buy a lot of great value brand stuff to save money, some of it is actually better than name brand, it's a lot cheaper than Kroger (our other option that's close) and the 10% discount doesn't hurt anything. We buy our meat, produce, everything there. I only spend big money on butcher quality steaks once a summer to grill for me and the wife, any other time, it's all from Walmart.

I see nothing wrong with that. Saving money is always a good thing. I will be the first to admit that Meijer does have a better produce section and better meats, but that doesn't mean that WalMart's meat is nasty. I get a lot of meat there. It's all been fine. In all honesty I do the majority of my grocery shopping, including meat, at Aldi. People can say what they want about that, but it saves me money. A lot of it. And they actually have some pretty awesome stuff. I was there a few weeks ago and I found out that they have a MUCH cheaper version of Ferrero Rocher candies (which I am completely addicted to). They taste the same. They also have a BBQ chicken pizza that tastes the same as the California Kitchen brand one I would pay 3 times as much for at WalMart or Meijer. Duh. I'll shop at the "poor people" store if it saves me money.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Oh yeah, aldi has some great stuff, I hadn't had it for years until we went over to my moms, my wife was asking her where she got some sauce and was going on about how good it was, I about fell over when mom said it was aldi! I look at it this way, if I can get good food, cheap, why waste the money paying for a name brand?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Oh yeah, aldi has some great stuff, I hadn't had it for years until we went over to my moms, my wife was asking her where she got some sauce and was going on about how good it was, I about fell over when mom said it was aldi! I look at it this way, if I can get good food, cheap, why waste the money paying for a name brand?

Aldo's is fantastic, especially for party food.

I've never been able to find good produce there though. The last time I went I wanted to get a cantaloupe and most of them were rotten already. Their strawberries taste kind of funky to me too.

Top Bottom