Members of the military- Not that bright.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, "doing the best they can" and doing it right aren't the same thing. I can do the best I can to fix your furnace, but since I know jack about HVAC, it's probably not going to get fixed correctly.

Even if you're a great parent, your kids may not follow you lockstep. They are an individual. That's why it's influence and not control. For good or ill, though, it's still tough to argue our parents (if they are around) aren't the biggest influence in our lives for a looong time. It could be positive or negative, and a lot of it is just neutral or what you accept as normal, but they shape the way we see the world and what we learn to question.

I cannot dispute this. However, logically speaking, we cannot assume as you stated that because he was pissed and recorded the teacher it was because of anything you did. It could have been. You (the parents) could have been lousy deadbeats and the kid was emulating what an uncle, neighbor, pastor, or other mentor has taught him.

I realize you're just playing a bit of contrarian here to dampen the outrage. I'm just playing the role of the contrarian's contrarian.

:stickpoke:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    However, logically speaking, we cannot assume as you stated that because he was pissed and recorded the teacher it was because of anything you did. It could have been. You (the parents) could have been lousy deadbeats and the kid was emulating what an uncle, neighbor, pastor, or other mentor has taught him.

We don't have to assume anything. He says why. California teacher slams military members as 'lowest of our low' in classroom rant caught on video | Fox News

The student told the Register...It was so disrespectful to my dad and my uncles and all veterans and those still in the military,” he said.

He said his father was a Marine vet as were two uncles. He said they fought in Afghanistan, Desert Storm and Vietnam.

He said the video wasn't meant for anyone else, but his mother shared it with a few friends "and now it's this."

Looks like his parents are pretty prominent in his life and his outlook.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This video has 2 points of applications in this thread, first- it's not over.

Second, it sounds as accurate as that "educator's" grasp on modern warfare:

[video=youtube;8zc0BI7T1LA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zc0BI7T1LA[/video]

The most frustrating thing about being on satellite internet is that even short videos like this are usually, virtually impossible to watch.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really think that we should require some type of mandatory military or community service for at least one year after graduation from high school. It would not only instill some form of discipline that students don’t seem to be learning in school it would also expose young people to other cultures and environments. Who knows it might even make young folks appreciate our country and those that stand the line to protect it and all our freedoms. I know some people don’t agree with this line of thinking but it seems to work very well in numerous countries around the world. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

No. It may seem like a good idea for today's society, but depending on how far left or right the govt goes, in the future, you're tempting indoctrination either way.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No. It may seem like a good idea for today's society, but depending on how far left or right the govt goes, in the future, you're tempting indoctrination either way.

I don't think the military is exactly the brainwashing machine you think it is. There is a sort of indoctrination, but it's more of the type you need to get kids to charge machine guns or crawl into tubes and go hundreds of feet below water. On average, the soldiers I have known are more critical of government, and more aware of the constitution.

But I do oppose compulsory service for any number of practical reasons. One of which is that I might get stuck with this wack job as my PL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think the military is exactly the brainwashing machine you think it is. There is a sort of indoctrination, but it's more of the type you need to get kids to charge machine guns or crawl into tubes and go hundreds of feet below water. On average, the soldiers I have known are more critical of government, and more aware of the constitution.

But I do oppose compulsory service for any number of practical reasons. One of which is that I might get stuck with this wack job as my PL.

In "today's society." I was speaking of the future.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Only 8 out of 500 classmates in my HS graduating class signed up for the military. We were looked down upon as too stupid or poor to go to college. When I completed basic and tech school, I volunteered to be stationed in Japan. I wanted to be as far away from home as I could get. Years later, I realized that I had matured much faster and had my life on a solid foundation, compared to my friends back home.

Regarding mandatory service, it is a noble idea, but would be difficult to execute. To the NCO's, it would be a giant gaggle. The challenge would be to instill discipline into a bunch of whiny millennials, who felt forced into having to do national service.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In "today's society." I was speaking of the future.

Sure, I can see that. I think at the point we start using the military in that way, our country will already be so hopelessly screwed it will hardly even matter. But reasonable people can take different sides of that chicken/egg debate.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Only 8 out of 500 classmates in my HS graduating class signed up for the military. We were looked down upon as too stupid or poor to go to college. When I completed basic and tech school, I volunteered to be stationed in Japan. I wanted to be as far away from home as I could get. Years later, I realized that I had matured much faster and had my life on a solid foundation, compared to my friends back home.

Regarding mandatory service, it is a noble idea, but would be difficult to execute. To the NCO's, it would be a giant gaggle. The challenge would be to instill discipline into a bunch of whiny millennials, who felt forced into having to do national service.

I can only hope that if I'm handed a bunch of couch surfing draftees, they will bring back wall to wall counseling. It's about the only way to make some kids useful. I've got a soldier right now that, for the life of me, I can only think the way to save him is to break his nose. He's a good kid, and even if I could I don't think I would want to lay a hand on him. But he needs it. I can only imagine what would happen if I had 7 or 8 more of him. No draft, please.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sure there's a generational difference but there was compulsory service from about 1948 and 1973. It was thought that 3 or 4 people volunteered for service for every 1 draftee to have some control over what they did rather than waiting to be drafted. My Dad was one of these.

Let's take the wars out of it. There was peace time compulsory service from '53 to about '64. Was that a mess?

Also, the original suggestion was military service or a national service of some sort. Let the anti-military leftists plant trees or something. I'm not ready to say compulsory service is a great idea, but its not automatically unworkable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IF mandatory service was instituted then Canada would move to another continent.
    They're already whining about northbound illegals as it is.

How many people did you know that went north to escape the draft. I knew more than a few. They sucked then and still suck to this day. Well, the ones that are still breathing suck anyway.

Top Bottom