• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saw cops going to funerals of their fallen officers in uniforms on tax payers' time, but supporting the people's constitutional rights is frowned upon.

200_d.gif

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So...some of you would continue to "do the job" even if you knew it was wrong and completely contrary to the spirit and letter of the Constitution of these United States?

Doing the job and doing what your told aren't always the same thing. But if you want to do the first you don't get online and complain about your employer in your employer's clothes and apparently on your employer's time. If you just want to make noise about how you're doing the second, do whatever you want. But then you won't get to do the first.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Maybe that's the problem and why on some departments a pattern of rights violations and bad cops seems so prevalent?
    I don't know. But a dont see some good cops standing up and "leading the way" and showing good examples and leadership to younger officers who need it as a bad thing. If we were back in the military I'd agree with you. I've said the same for soldiers because its not a democracy. STFU and do your damn job and follow the orders of the officers over you.
    Law enforcement isn't the military though no matter how bad some want it to be. And it's not supposed to be.
    It takes real courage to say what he did and post it. I know officers on ingo who have taken the same kind of stand over the years on here and spoke up about what they believe and what's right or wrong and I have applauded them just the same. True courage.
    Yes I know there are plenty of officers who live it daily and dont speak up. I thanks them too, but sometimes things need said. And what he said was right not wrong. And the actions of his department speaks volumes and shows the known issues within that city.
    This man lives the creed. A job is a job. Honor and integrity are eternal.

I respect your view too BBI. I'm not bashing you for what you said.
    I'm saying he had the right to do what he did and he knew the possible consequences before he hit post and was good with it. But to live with himself and to be right inside he had to do what he did. I respect people willing to stand for what they believe in.
    This^^^.
    I only listened to a short part but I like that the man isn’t afraid to stand up to his beliefs!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's their life. It's part of them so why wouldnt they Express themselves in uniform or in their car?
    But I also understand that a lot of employers forbid their employees from expressive personal views or making videos while in uniform. You can be fired for it without permission first.

Because when you're in your uniform and in your car you're perceived to be representing your employer, not just your personal views.

I can attend a political rally or protest on my own time in my own clothes with no repercussions. And have. As a private citizen. But seriously, what would be the optics of in uniform cops on one side of a protest? Would anyone believe the guys there to work were neutral to the message and equally protecting everyone's 1st amendment rights? No, of course not.

Let's remove the .gov angle entirely. If you work for Termanix and show up at the latest anti or pro=-rump rally in your Terminix uniform and driving a distinctive Terminix vehicle, would people assume you are representing Terminix? Does Terminix want to enter into that foray? Or do they want to manage their brand themselves without individual employees going off message?

As a gov't employee, my boss actually has LESS control over my 1st amendment activities then the Terminix boss does. But I still can't represent the department, purposefully or not, with political activity to include campaigning for a given candidate, etc. I personally think that protects the 1st amendment more than it limits it. You maintain all your rights as a private citizen. You just don't get to be the spokesman for your employer.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    This officer's willingness to express his opinion is a sign of the times. Here is another sign of the times, a pastor warning that things will boil over at some point if the constitution is ignored: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4mdQrmrlM
    Nobody wants violence. Those who fought in the revolution tried to have their concerns heard but eventually said enough is enough and that is all detailed in the Declaration of Independence.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Because when you're in your uniform and in your car you're perceived to be representing your employer, not just your personal views.

I can attend a political rally or protest on my own time in my own clothes with no repercussions. And have. As a private citizen. But seriously, what would be the optics of in uniform cops on one side of a protest? Would anyone believe the guys there to work were neutral to the message and equally protecting everyone's 1st amendment rights? No, of course not.

Let's remove the .gov angle entirely. If you work for Termanix and show up at the latest anti or pro=-rump rally in your Terminix uniform and driving a distinctive Terminix vehicle, would people assume you are representing Terminix? Does Terminix want to enter into that foray? Or do they want to manage their brand themselves without individual employees going off message?

As a gov't employee, my boss actually has LESS control over my 1st amendment activities then the Terminix boss does. But I still can't represent the department, purposefully or not, with political activity to include campaigning for a given candidate, etc. I personally think that protects the 1st amendment more than it limits it. You maintain all your rights as a private citizen. You just don't get to be the spokesman for your employer.

Men don't need to take a oath to put on the Terminix uniforms, police men do.
    Men in Terminix uniforms don't come to Barber shops to arrest people, police officers have done it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I still do not get the problem even with him being in uniform and why they took issue with his video?
    He is basically quoting the constitution and expressing the limits of government/police authority.
    Oh wait I just answered my own question.
    "He is basically quoting the constitution and expressing the limits of government/police authority."
    Democrats don't like to be told there's limits on their granted authority.
    He didn't endorse a candidate or anything. The Democrats in his city just dont like freedom so they axed him. This is what it boils down to

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Men in Terminix uniforms don't come to Barber shops to arrest people, police officers have done it.
    And eventually they're going to cross someone's line in the sand.
    I dont want to see any cops hurt but at the same time I dont know if I would mourn for one that knowingly enforced an unconstitutional order either.
    Indiana has it easy compared to some other states. The governor of michigan just told people she would arrest them for being armed at protests. Tyrant. Tyrant. Tyrant.
    The 2nd protects the rest.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I still do not get the problem even with him being in uniform and why they took issue with his video?
    He is basically quoting the constitution and expressing the limits of government/police authority.
    Oh wait I just answered my own question.
    "He is basically quoting the constitution and expressing the limits of government/police authority."
    Democrats don't like to be told there's limits on their granted authority.
    He didn't endorse a candidate or anything. The Democrats in his city just dont like freedom so they axed him. This is what it boils down to

If I took to the airwaves, in uniform, to pronounce that my company was doing the wrong thing, and announced my intention to be insubordinate, I'd expect to be fired.

Ignoring his message, this is akin to the chick at the dealership taking selfies in (and out of) her uniform.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This officer's willingness to express his opinion is a sign of the times. Here is another sign of the times, a pastor warning that things will boil over at some point if the constitution is ignored: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4mdQrmrlM
    Nobody wants violence. Those who fought in the revolution tried to have their concerns heard but eventually said enough is enough and that is all detailed in the Declaration of Independence.

That guy's not a pastor. He's not leading a flock (anywhere holy, that is); he's engaged in eschatology thumb sucking and nationalism.

EDIT:
    The only "sign of the times" may be that people are now taking to YouTube, Twitter, etc. to spout off things.

Nothing he said is particularly new. As to the pastor, nothing he said is new at all - everything's been said for the past 150+ years; but mostly in tents.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Alternative thought-

Had he not turned his stand into a social media event, he could still be out there exercising the discretion (nearly) every officer has to not oppress citizens and to be a, hopefully, positive influence to others in his department....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Alternative thought-

Had he not turned his stand into a social media event, he could still be out there exercising the discretion (nearly) every officer has to not oppress citizens and to be a, hopefully, positive influence to others in his department....

Speak softly and ... put away the big stick?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, screw that. The dude's pushing 400k on the gofundme. Will it stop at a half million???

[video=youtube;QkAZfKJ8Tyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=QkAZfKJ8Tyc&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

The patriot can live pretty well, get the massage across and still find a better gig to serve the public.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, screw that. The dude's pushing 400k on the gofundme. Will it stop at a half million???

The patriot can live pretty well, get the massage across and still find a better gig to serve the public.

Gee, it's like he had it planned.

Always follow the money.

purple where necessary.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Neat. Doesn't address my point in the slightest, but neat.

I must have missed the part of my oath that said "and use the megaphone of social media to show everyone how seriously I take this oath." Here I thought just doing the job ethically and legally was fulfilling the oath. I think they added that for Millennial recruitment, though.

If you don't social media, are you even a patriot bro?

Top Bottom