• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I have it on the authority of a now-clean former meth addict that the program in question is pretty sorry.

I would also point out that I have it on the authority of folks who have served as sponsors that one of the serious problems with programs which are the alternative to going to jail is sponsors and administrators taking advantage of the real or perceived leverage involved (i.e., jail or not) in ways including getting laid very regularly.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't know if it was here on INGO but I saw a link to just this very thing. A local (somewhere) law enforcement officer posted a series of booking photos of various members of the area and show their fall under the spell of meth photographically. It was pretty graphic how quickly people denegenerated into a shell of their former selves once meth got hold of them!

Yeah. Remember those old school bus wreck videos where simeine had a knife out? Scarred me for years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Meth has been around for a very long time. Just not every idiot was making it in their backyard in the 60's.

Then came the idea of cooking Sudafed which brought it to the masses. "Shake and bake", skiddling, etc., and here we are.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Isn't meth the reason I can only purchase a certain amount of Sudafeds in a certain amount of time? Is this helping any?

It's working as well as any of the gun laws on the books in certain states, so the answer is no. I am sure more meth is on the streets now then there was before purchase limits were set.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Isn't meth the reason I can only purchase a certain amount of Sudafeds in a certain amount of time? Is this helping any?

It's working as well as any of the gun laws on the books in certain states, so the answer is no. I am sure more meth is on the streets now then there was before purchase limits were set.

That's not really the full story. Blocking has helped somewhat, but where there's a will there's a way. Meth lab busts have been coming down, but that story is a bit misleading.

So when blocking first started, cooks bought the PSE and cooked it in larger batches to sell. So then blocking comes along and then cooks started hiring "smurfs" to buy for them in numbers to try to fool the system. Well, then the system got smarter which led to the smurfs getting caught, and then the cooks. So then the methheads got, well, I don't want to say "smarter", but maybe more inventive. "Shake and bake" personal dose became a thing, which made it harder for law enforcement because that's an individual use kind of quantity. But then law enforcement kinda figures some of that out, and on goes the progression of one-upsmanship.

Years ago I had some interest in this area of law enforcement, but I haven't really kept up with the trends for a few years. I know that at one point "shake-n-bake" kinda started fading out a bit when cheap synthetic meth from Mexico started coming in, which the blocking doesn't help. Then Heroin got really cheap, and therefore popular, and that started to take over as rednecks' drug-o-choice.

So we can arguably say that blocking has helped reduce meth making from PSE found in cold pills, but that's maybe an empty victory because it just drove the market more towards Mexican ICE, and the use of Heroin. It's a bad problem. Meth is probably one of the most destructive drugs out there. So is heroin.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Meth makers are the reason they had to put locks on anhydrous ammonia wagons (fertilizer).

If you see a starter fluid can opened from the bottom, someone is making meth.

Over in Washington, IN a few years ago, the arrested a guy riding a bicycle around town while cooking meth in his backpack.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Most of the meth that I seize comes from south of the border. Its much better quality than the home grown stuff and apparently not hard to come by. I think my july total was a little under 145 grams.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    admittedly I was never into illegal substances (I preferred legal mind alteration due to hops and barley based substances) and while I did try "herb" a few times it never did anything for me, and therefore I stuck with said hops and barley

that said, knowing what is used to make meth how the hell could anyone even think about using that crap!

starter fluid, battery acid, ammonia, It gives me the willies even thinking about smoking, snorting, or injecting that s**t into my body!

and I've put some bad stuff in my body over the years!...beer, whiskey, tequila, mcdonalds

I know its a sickness, and I hope that when people want to stop, they do stop, they get the help they need, and stay clean and sober, but you have to be really bad off to think that its ok to use that crap!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    admittedly I was never into illegal substances (I preferred legal mind alteration due to hops and barley based substances) and while I did try "herb" a few times it never did anything for me, and therefore I stuck with said hops and barley

that said, knowing what is used to make meth how the hell could anyone even think about using that crap!

starter fluid, battery acid, ammonia, It gives me the willies even thinking about smoking, snorting, or injecting that s**t into my body!

and I've put some bad stuff in my body over the years!...beer, whiskey, tequila, mcdonalds

I know its a sickness, and I hope that when people want to stop, they do stop, they get the help they need, and stay clean and sober, but you have to be really bad off to think that its ok to use that crap!

You're looking at it from the POV of a rational person. I'm guessing that part of their being went out the door a long time ago.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Was completely unaware of the Mexican Ice wave doing away with most of the meth labs. Apparently it is even more addictive. Great.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Use of various amphetamines, both medically and illicitly has been around a long time, but they were generally taken orally. At what point did people start smoking methamphetamine? From what I have read and heard on documentaries, the effects are greatly magnified in terms of intensity and how quickly effects are felt when it's smoked.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Was completely unaware of the Mexican Ice wave doing away with most of the meth labs. Apparently it is even more addictive. Great.

It's purer and doesn't use PSE from your Sudafed.

Years ago I went to a seminar a cop gave on meth. He said people described their first high to him as an 8 hour orgasm. Nearly half the people who try it the first time become addicted. They don't get the same high after that and many of them spend the rest of their severely shortened lives chasing that first high. I've seen a lot of before/after mug shots of methheads. Their first arrest and just a few years later, their last arrest. Looks like they aged 20 years. It just sucks the life out of people.

And for so many it only takes one moment of weakness to try it for the first time, to completely ruin the rest of their lives. Many of them will literally do anything to get that high. I'm generally against the drug war. Most drugs should be legalized. But meth? I'm good with keeping that one illegal.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    And for so many it only takes one moment of weakness to try it for the first time, to completely ruin the rest of their lives. Many of them will literally do anything to get that high. I'm generally against the drug war. Most drugs should be legalized. But meth? I'm good with keeping that one illegal.
    Yes, we all have our moments when we are down, maybe even rock bottom and if someone comes along with an immediate fix then it's tempting for some people. You see how it gets a firm grip on people and doesn't let go, and it changes people's lives.
    This is exactly why whenever I feel like I "need a drink" that's exactly when I do NOT get a drink. I don't ever want to find some substance that could possibly be something that I could come to rely on to make things better.

Top Bottom