Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    20638112_1425941587442322_3717202947024255303_n.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Glad I'm a child of the '60s.
    Herb, RJS 18-875, FF40, Rorer 714s, Plasidils, Turkish hash, Red, Gold, and Chocolate bud, Jamaican, mex, Maui, LSD,... you know... the tame stuff by today's standards. Heroin, coke, Tai stick, THC, etc, etc,.... Go ask Alice
    Oh, I'm sure I've forgotten a few goodies.
    The new drugs are really screwed up for sure.

You posted that little list and this Cheech and Chong skit came to mind lol....

"No!!! It's meechiwakan..It's meechiwakan man..."

"No man it's Alcapolco Gold..."

"No man it's meechiwakan...It's meechiwakan....."

[video=youtube;tHIwooltfzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIwooltfzg[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Glad I'm a child of the '60s.
    Herb, RJS 18-875, FF40, Rorer 714s, Plasidils, Turkish hash, Red, Gold, and Chocolate bud, Jamaican, mex, Maui, LSD,... you know... the tame stuff by today's standards. Heroin, coke, Tai stick, THC, etc, etc,.... Go ask Alice
    Oh, I'm sure I've forgotten a few goodies.
    The new drugs are really screwed up for sure.

Man, if STDs didn't exist and thongs did, the 60s/70s would have been the greatest decades ever!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    You posted that little list and this Cheech and Chong skit came to mind lol....

"No!!! It's meechiwakan..It's meechiwakan man..."

"No man it's Alcapolco Gold..."

"No man it's meechiwakan...It's meechiwakan....."

[video=youtube;tHIwooltfzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIwooltfzg[/video]

Labrador, man... lol

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Isn't meth the reason I can only purchase a certain amount of Sudafeds in a certain amount of time? Is this helping any?
    Yes, and it actually was pretty successful in making local meth manufacturing not economically viable, at least at the dealer level. Of course, that void it was quickly filled with black tar heroin and imported meth, but it did cut down on the local meth lab scene pretty effectively.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, and it actually was pretty successful in making local meth manufacturing not economically viable, at least at the dealer level. Of course, that void it was quickly filled with black tar heroin and imported meth, but it did cut down on the local meth lab scene pretty effectively.

Why does this come as no surprise that such an act didn't make any real difference, it just picked a different set of 'winners'.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why does this come as no surprise that such an act didn't make any real difference, it just picked a different set of 'winners'.

Well, not so much, really. This is less an encroachment from government than you think. The manufacturers association doesn't want their products used to make Meth. That's bad publicity. Our tax dollars don't pay for that program. Manufacturers do. The law enforcement tools that are part of the program are paid for by the association.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, not so much, really. This is less an encroachment from government than you think. The manufacturers association doesn't want their products used to make Meth. That's bad publicity. Our tax dollars don't pay for that program. Manufacturers do. The law enforcement tools that are part of the program are paid for by the association.

Please tell me that you are not supporting the notion that it is proper for us to be subjected to legislation to make the manufacturer's tummies feel good by giving the rest of us a hard time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Please tell me that you are not supporting the notion that it is proper for us to be subjected to legislation to make the manufacturer's tummies feel good by giving the rest of us a hard time.

Ideally no. It's not proper. It's certainly not free market. It is, unfortunately a pragmatic compromise.

The laws are already there to put limits on how much PSE you can buy. I'd rather that not be the solution, but you and I can't change that by ourselves.

Here's the long of how we got to this place. Meth exploded in rural America because some smart guy shows biker gangs how to make Meth from over-the-counter cold medicines containing PSE. Biker gangs sell it to rural people. Eventually people notice and various advocacy groups lobby for all kinds of laws to do something about that, including an outright ban on products containing PSE, or making those products schedule III, requiring a prescription.

Manufacturers go ape****. Pharmacies go ape****. Allergy sufferers go ape****. They lobby against all that. So lawmakers sort of punted, and passed laws that make buying "too much" PSE a crime, and required pharmacies to log usage.

So in states which passed such laws, pharmacies initially kept paper logs of purchases and handed them over to LE, to review and determine who bought too much, and ultimately who were cooking meth. It was a very inefficient system. Cops couldn't keep up and meth use continued to explode.

Enterprising capitalists looked at this and said, hey, we can provide a service not only to automate your log-keeping electronically, but we can also tell you if someone is over the limit when they buy. Most pharmacies say, um, that's pretty neat and all. But we don't wanna pay for that. Enterprising capitalists also tell cops, hey, we can provide you with an investigative tool to help you figure out who is buying PSE to cook meth. Most agencies say, well that sounds neat. But, we don't have the budget for that, even though we pay our investigators to spend their time investigating the paper logs.

So enterprising capitalists approach Manufacturers and say, look, you have a problem. Group A wants to ban your PSE products altogether. Group B wants to make them schedule III. Group C, YOUR group, those who just want the market to work like a market, aren't big enough to keep legislators from caving to A or B unless you have a solution to offer. Do you have a solution? We didn't think so.

So, either A or B, probably B, is going to get its way unless you figure something out, and this will cost you $x for A or $y for B. We have a solution. We can track and block purchases. And can provide an investigative tool for law enforcement. But neither is willing to pay for it. Given the alternatives, the manufacturers agreed to pay for it, and they pitched it to legislators considering bans and schedule III. Schedule III very nearly won that fight. But several states opted for electronic monitoring instead of going schedule III, and those states' success in shutting down meth labs made other states want it.

The people who wanted schedule III were very organized and there was very strong support among a lot of prominent .orgs including some physicians associations. Realistically, if this deal had not won, you'd need a doctor visit to get a prescription for your PSE based cold/allergy medicine.

Given that many people, WHO HAVE A VOTE, want it banned or schedule III, this is probably the most market driven solution that could be had in that climate. Not ideal. Not free market. But free market people aren't the only people that had a say. Given the three alternatives on the table--not doing anything WASN'T on the table--this was the least evil.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I gave up counting the number of times people ask me if I make good meth when they find out I'm a retired chemist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I gave up counting the number of times people ask me if I make good meth when they find out I'm a retired chemist.

Having spent a fair amount of time in the ammonia refrigeration field I can relate to locking up the tanks of R-717 (Anhydrous ammonia) when the truck delivers it to the job site. The tweekers seem to know you are working at the facility and will approach you at the local dinner trying to buy some of it. The local LEO's know who they are yet they free range.
    Yes, there was some theft. And some idiots trying to draw some out of the system piping outside the plants. It is so amazing the level's of stupid.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Where I used to work huffers would cut the fence and crack open a union connected to the toluene tank to steal some of it. Found one passed out on the train tracks behind the warehouse, or rather what was left after the trains got him. Really sad what drugs do to people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where I used to work huffers would cut the fence and crack open a union connected to the toluene tank to steal some of it. Found one passed out on the train tracks behind the warehouse, or rather what was left after the trains got him. Really sad what drugs do to people.

Huffing Freon was big for a while. I had to watch my tanks when they were off the truck in certain areas. Those areas grew out into the burbs. Kids thought the high was great. Having been gassed in an equipment room when a line broke I can tell you 1...yes it is intense. 2.....it also sucks butt. Why would anybody choose to do that.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Dad said in back in the day at the old K & I RR some of the employees figured out that the tanks heading to Brown Foreman with pure grain alcohol in them to be aged in barrels would drip, drip, drip out of certain parts of the tanker....One day a train was getting ready to go out and they couldn't get the car knockers to respond...They got dad on the radio and asked him to go see what was going on....He got down there and there were mason jars under the drips and three railroaders in various states of napping around the car...Back then they covered for each other...You could "drink" but you could not be "drunk"....Dad helped get them to a place where they would not get run over by a train and they slept it off...

Norfolk Southern took over in 1981.....The day they took over dad said one of the Yardmasters brought Willie Nelson's record, "Turn out the Lights, the Party's Over", and played it on loud speakers the day of the merger...The days of drinking, collecting drippings from the whiskey tankers, covering each other's rear ends, and letting Johnny Cash ride with you on your run to Bowling Green was over....

"He's not a railroad employee..."

"But it's Johnny Cash...He sings about trains..."

"I know but he is not a railroad employee..."

"I know that...But it's Johnny ******* Cash...What are you a commie?"

"No more you hear?"

"What about Waylon?"

"NO NON EMPLOYEES IN THE ENGINE!!!!!!!"

"FINE!!!! YOU"RE NOT A GOOD AMERICAN!!!!!!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom