• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would bet there are at least 59,587 U.S Servicemen buried in France whom might have took offense with being called snowflakes.

I think you're taking that out of context.I'm not even the one who called that vet "snowflake".
    And that remark was direct towards the one vet who stole those people's flags, not to the entire veteran community.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I used that example, Sylvain, because the flag flown at the top of the pole can be interpreted as a claim of the sovereignty of the property. That particular flag combination, in conjunction with the ideas of La Raza, in certain areas of our country would be almost as infuriating as ISIS claiming a part of your country

View attachment 54680

View attachment 54681

I get that.The point I made (not sure if I was clear) is that you have two possible reasons behind the improper display of a flag.
    The one you stated, the will of showing dominance over another flag (and therefore country); and the ignorance of the proper rules without ill intent.

That vet just decided to steal their property without even talking to the owner about proper flag etiquette.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would bet there are at least 59,587 U.S Servicemen buried in France whom might have took offense with being called snowflakes.

If they wouldn't violate other people's rights because they are personally offended, they aren't snowflakes.

I have more faith in people than to assume that being offended, justifies, in their minds, imposing their view on others.

This one guy? Not so much.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Sorry Sylvain,I apologise.I do not think that generation would agree with you.Iwas just making the point that we have gone soft on the flag in the last 25 years.I remember in the 70's,my vet grandpa Told a neighbor kid to go take a flag patch off his rear pocket.He said the should not be on his aas.He apologized,went home and changed his pants.Now days the kid would probably attack him.I must be a snowflake.I think the owner was taking his chances expressing his freedom,which the vet gave him.Sorry,<br>
    I side with the vet.

Last edited:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    If they wouldn't violate other people's rights because they are personally offended, they aren't snowflakes.

I have more faith in people than to assume that being offended, justifies, in their minds, imposing their view on others.

This one guy? Not so much.
    I wonder if the business owner was intentionally imposing his view on others?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sorry Sylvain,I apologise.I do not think that generation would agree with you.Iwas just making the point that we have gone soft on the flag in the last 25 years.I remember in the 70's,my vet grandpa Told a neighbor kid to go take a flag patch off his rear pocket.He said the should not be on his aas.He apologized,went home and changed his pants.Now days the kid would probably attack him.I must be a snowflake.I think the owner was taking his chances expressing his freedom,which the vet gave him.Sorry,<br>
    I side with the vet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for respecting the flag and I have great respect for vets in general.
    I just don't think there should be a law forcing you to display a flag a certain way (and there is not).
    It's no illegal to display your flag improperly.Just like it's not illegal to burn it if you want (as long as you own the flag you burn).
    It's all covered under the First Amendment so I can't support a vet for violating someone's freedom of speech and for stealing someone's property.
    The fact that you served doesn't give you the right to break the law and unfringe upon other people's right.

I would side with the vet if he used other methods to get the owner to properly display his flag.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wonder if the business owner was intentionally imposing his view on others?

Did I miss the part where the business owner was forcing people through his door or to look at his ill advised flag display?

Freedom means people get to make stupid display, but that does not justify theft.

We can all be highly offended if we want to. That does not give us special rights. One month ago, an Army honor guard folded the flag from my father's casket and handed it to my mother. I served under the flag as well. I despise the attitude of those in this country who are disloyal, but I will not condone the violation of their right of free expression and to ownership of personal property simply because they people choose to be idiots. Until they encroach upon another's safety or freedom, there is no justification to act out in this fashion.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My condolences on the loss of your father, and thanks to you both for your service.

Guys, he's right. The simple fact is that one wrong act does not justify another, especially when the latter is a violation of law and the former is simple ignorance.

For my part, seeing the flags displayed that way would cause me to take my business elsewhere. I might or might not call them to tell them why. (probably would)

Others choose their responses and may do so, with the awareness that actions have consequences. Committing a crime, such as taking the property of another and/or destroying that property, or injuring the owner of that property, all have penalties spelled out in the law. Flying the flag incorrectly, as Hough pointed out, does not.

I don't like what they did. My lawful response is to voice my objection and take my business elsewhere. That's it. Don't have to like it, just can't commit battery or theft to stop it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Did I miss the part where the business owner was forcing people through his door or to look at his ill advised flag display?

Freedom means people get to make stupid display, but that does not justify theft.

We can all be highly offended if we want to. That does not give us special rights. One month ago, an Army honor guard folded the flag from my father's casket and handed it to my mother. I served under the flag as well. I despise the attitude of those in this country who are disloyal, but I will not condone the violation of their right of free expression and to ownership of personal property simply because they people choose to be idiots. Until they encroach upon another's safety or freedom, there is no justification to act out in this fashion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for respecting the flag and I have great respect for vets in general.
    I just don't think there should be a law forcing you to display a flag a certain way (and there is not).
    It's no illegal to display your flag improperly.Just like it's not illegal to burn it if you want (as long as you own the flag you burn).
    It's all covered under the First Amendment so I can't support a vet for violating someone's freedom of speech and for stealing someone's property.
    The fact that you served doesn't give you the right to break the law and unfringe upon other people's right.

I would side with the vet if he used other methods to get the owner to properly display his flag.

People don't have a right not to be offended. We say that on INGO many times. People have a right not to get their stuff stolen. We say that on INGO all the time too. Those are simple concepts that we all seem to get. At least when we're talking about others. But when someone does something that violates our own moral code, OMG, let's **** 'em up boys! We justify all sorts of things to punish people for using their free speech in ways that insult us. When we do that we're no better than the snowflakes.

Regardless what you do, that person is going to think the way they think, anyway. Stealing their stuff isn't going to make them respect the flag as much as you do. Or punching them in the face. You have no right to impose your own punishments on people who don't follow your moral code. It's not up to you to take someone else's property just because they're using it offensively. YOU can only make you follow your moral code. However, you can certainly use your free speech to tell them what you think.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Snowflakes apparently come at many ages and with service records.

I'm soooo considering using this as a tag line...

Of course this snowflake was well equipped and didn't need to yell, "I need some muscle over here!"

Just think about how better things could have been had he just sat down and explained things over tacos? Tacos make everything better!

EDIT: On second thought, this guy's not a snowflake.

Snowflakes are people that think they're so highly unique and individualized that they can do and have anything and deserve utmost praise even for their banal accomplishments. Others must adapt and cater to their whims. Their feelings about their self-worth come first. He believes in something greater and more important than him as an individual; he ascribes to American values of holding the flag in high regards (so do most).

I don't want to muddle up that term by misapplying it.

Unfortunate for all, this guy has a set of values that he believes allows him to act like a bully to enforce those values; just like Melissa Click.

He's got the right idea (flag code), wrong actions.

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm soooo considering using this as a tag line...

Of course this snowflake was well equipped and didn't need to yell, "I need some muscle over here!"

Just think about how better things could have been had he just sat down and explained things over tacos? Tacos make everything better!

EDIT: On second thought, this guy's not a snowflake.

Snowflakes are people that think they're so highly unique and individualized that they can do and have anything and deserve utmost praise even for their banal accomplishments. Others must adapt and cater to their whims. Their feelings about their self-worth come first. He believes in something greater and more important than him as an individual; he ascribes to American values of holding the flag in high regards (so do most).

I don't want to muddle up that term by misapplying it.

Unfortunate for all, this guy has a set of values that he believes allows him to act like a bully to enforce those values; just like Melissa Click.

He's got the right idea (flag code), wrong actions.

Well said

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hyperpatriotic thug behavior is still thug behavior.

That vet's poor actions can't be justified by his service record or any lofty ideals he may have adopted along the way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hyperpatriotic thug behavior is still thug behavior.

That vet's poor actions can't be justified by his service record or any lofty ideals he may have adopted along the way.

I have to agree with that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If you want to fly the Mexican flag fly it in Mexico. Also if you live in this country learn English.

While personally, I don't disagree on either point, from a legal perspective I have to acknowledge the 1A right of anyone to fly whatever flag they wish.
    Additionally, remember that English has only one claim to preference here, and that is majority, which is to say that for now, the majority of people in the US do currently speak English. There is no law, no precedent to say that English is our "national language". I say all that to ask if, when the numbers turn around (however near or far that date may be) will you be so keen to the counter: "...if you live in this country, learn Spanish/Mandarin/Russian."?

Blessings,
    Bill

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you want to fly the Mexican flag fly it in Mexico. Also if you live in this country learn English.
    And with this semi-xenophobic post, you've made your 50. What'cha buyin'? (PM'ing right now)

Anywho, what if I fly a German and Italian flag on F1 race days? :stickpoke:

Top Bottom