• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I have used mothballs tied in a knee-hi stocking under the hood in various places with good results. Had a mouse getting into the inside of my work car once, went and bought a revolving door type trap from Menards and after a day or two I had a couple in the trap. You may be able to put one of those traps under the hood someplace pretty easy. They are pretty neat, and they work!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The sooner you attract the mice away from the truck the better off you are...they like to eat wires and hoses for some reason.

Yep. One winter we had mouse nests in the heater blower fans of both vehicles, with repairs to the tune of about $400 each. At that time, we didn't have pets so we put poison in the garage. I have also heard about the Irish Spring that d. kaufman suggested above, and that's what I would try now. Put a piece in your glove box also. They like to chew on the paper in there. In one of the cars they had shredded my maps and half of my car manual.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a piney squirrel stuff the engine of my 10 mustang twice with black walnuts before I caught it outside. The first time I cleared it out had little effect, but the second time it decided not to exert the time and energy storing them there, and I was able to catch it. The regular squirrels are food, but I just give those farkin piney squirrels swimming lessons. It's not worth driving 50km to release them, and that's about how far you have to go if you don't want them back.

When you have critter infestation, the first thing to do is understand the critter well enough. It wants something, and if it finds it, it'll stay around. If it just wants shelter, you need to make the shelter it finds unsuitable. This may involve destruction of the shelter, a way to make the shelter fatal, whatever.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Fresh Cab Works - Fresh Cab is the only botanical rodent repellent effective enough to be registered by the Federal EPA and trusted by licensed pest control experts for both effectiveness and safety. Fresh Cab keeps mice out of homes, cabins, basements, attics, garages, sheds, and storage. Use this in our trucks parked in the barn. It Works but needs to be replaced yearly or so.

Live in the country and its a Never Ending Battle, field mice, ground squirrels. Hungry Cats, Black Snake, Fresh Cab or Poison. One year, I bought multi catch live mouse traps. Would catch as many as 10 till population was down.

Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-Trap
    (https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane-Live-Mouse-M310S/dp/B01LN44X8G/ref=asc_df_B01LN44X8G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241960413056&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16112513136608984787&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9057676&hvtargid=pla-587254480505&psc=1}

Last edited:

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Cloves. Fabnric softener dryer sheets, save your used ones. The active ingredient in "Critter Ridder" is Cayenne Pepper. Any combo of two or all of these should do the trick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Inspired by this thread, I watched some YouTube vids on the bucket traps. Gave this a try;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GC624P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could save a buck or two making your own "rolling log," but ten bucks is a pretty decent price for something not requiring trial and error.

Picked up a couple of swimmers withing a few hours of putting it together, less than two feet away from a vehicle that lives in the old barn...

20200107-170506.jpg

ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Columbus
    Peppermint essential oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray down your engine bay or other items they like to get into like tool boxes in barns. Just have to reapply it every so often

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Inspired by this thread, I watched some YouTube vids on the bucket traps. Gave this a try;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GC624P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could save a buck or two making your own "rolling log," but ten bucks is a pretty decent price for something not requiring trial and error.

Picked up a couple of swimmers withing a few hours of putting it together, less than two feet away from a vehicle that lives in the old barn...

20200107-170506.jpg

I keep a home made one in my mud room. Some anti freeze in the bucket or salt in the water keeps it from freezing. Caught three in the last two week stretch. Arrow shaft thru a small peanut butter jar.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I keep a home made one in my mud room. Some anti freeze in the bucket or salt in the water keeps it from freezing. Caught three in the last two week stretch. Arrow shaft thru a small peanut butter jar.

Thanks for the antifreeze idea. I hate to risk poisoning any other critters. Wonder if that's an issue with auto antifreeze? How much salt do you use?

I'm gonna put another one under my house.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Welcome to rural living. Popped the hood on my truck couple years ago to change the headlamp bulbs. Had to move the air filter box in order to do so on the passenger side. When I moved the box about 60 acorns come falling out everywhere :runaway:

Try having the cab of the truck you parked "out back" of the garage filled to 5 inches with walnuts... dang squirrels.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thanks for the antifreeze idea. I hate to risk poisoning any other critters. Wonder if that's an issue with auto antifreeze? How much salt do you use?

I'm gonna put another one under my house.

Non toxic stuff still drowns mice. Saltier you can make the solution, the colder it has to get to freeze.

Top Bottom