• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My apologies for the above post. The tweet said "Michael Sam fails to earn spot on Dallas Cowboys", which I took to mean he had been cut. It was actually just a reference to the fact that the NFL had to twist arms to get them to pick Sam up.
    Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad | The Daily Caller

The NFL should not be a wing of a political party, trying to force "change" and "diversity" down the throats of the viewers. I don't need a Bob-****ing-Costas lecture at halftime, and I don't need the NFL telling me we NEED gay players.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lots of folks are saying that with as "thin" as the Cowboys are on defense this year - that there's a better than average possibility that he'll be called up to the active roster at some point this season.

Begs the question: Why did they (The Cowboys) have to be ASKED by the NFL to sign him to the practice squad since he'd been available anyhow?

NFL teams are about winning (generally - rebuilding does happen). Teams will take & keep those involved with all manner of illegal and/or immoral actions IF THEY CAN PLAY. By far and large, the players will accept complete losers and morally bankrupt teammates IF THEY CAN PLAY.

This doesn't seem to be about adding unnecessary drama to a locker room - nor adding to anyone's feelings of unease. It's been said before - and it's probably true - that most of these players have played with gay teammates before.

This is about the NFL having a token. And Sam should be able to see through that by now.

I know that I wouldn't want to be some organization's "token" anything. Either have me on for my merits or don't have me on.

Not at all the same thing, but I remember telling my former HS football coach: "If I'm good enough to play, play me. But please don't just put me in in "trash time."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The NFL should not be a wing of a political party, trying to force "change" and "diversity" down the throats of the viewers. I don't need a Bob-****ing-Costas lecture at halftime, and I don't need the NFL telling me we NEED gay players.
    I don't know when it started for me. I can't say it was because any particular populist cause of the month they involved themselves in but I find myself watching fewer and fewer games every year. Anymore, it's all I can do to sit through a Colts game. Starting with the Hall of Fame game, through the preseason games, I used to watch a bunch of them every year. But not anymore. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, in some marketing office has decided football fans care more about a homosexual player making a team or how environmentally friendly the league is or how pink a team can make their uniforms for breast cancer awareness month than the game -- but I don't watch a game for that stuff. I watch them for drama on the field, the competition of the cream of the cream playing my favorite sport.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Did NFL officials call teams begging them to take on any straight players? Almost seems sexist to heterosexuals to me.

I would not think this would boost the mans confidence either. When the NFL is making calls around the league asking teams for someone to give him a chance.

I am sure they ( the NFL ) did the same for Tim Tebow. Insert purple here.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I would not think this would boost the mans confidence either. When the NFL is making calls around the league asking teams for someone to give him a chance.

Exactly right on the Tebow thing.

i don't think Sam wants this attention (now). I think he just wants to make a team and play in the NFL.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exactly right on the Tebow thing.

i don't think Sam wants this attention (now). I think he just wants to make a team and play in the NFL.

Do you think he came into the league thinking that way? I think he thought he could make the team based on his talent but was willing to exploit his status for all the economic gain he could, while he was a bit of an anomaly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you think he came into the league thinking that way? I think he thought he could make the team based on his talent but was willing to exploit his status for all the economic gain he could, while he was a bit of an anomaly.

I've said before, his announcement timing is suspect.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You know the world has turned bizzaro when what used to be considered normal is derided and what used to be eschewed is now applauded.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw where he has announced he will leave his boyfriend in St. Louis for now...
    wonder why we needed to know that?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think I would have rather he just lived life how he did and let everyone figure it out if they wanted to. I guarantee it would not have been much of a story, but the fact that he came out in a big way made the media go overboard in promoting something that honestly just isn't a big deal to most of us.

Top Bottom