Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    1020141127a.jpg
    Picture I took from the Boom Pod of a KC-135 assigned to Grissom. Boom operator is a buddy and great SNCO.

I loved flying on tankers and C-141s. Also have a bunch of time in C-130s and C-5s. Only one I did not like was the KC-10. Huge PITA to loadplan, load and unload.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Picture from the Boom Pod of a KC-135 assigned to Grissom. Boom operator is a buddy and great SNCO.
    434th ARW? I spent some time riding around in their KC-135s 1978-1982.

And my father (and at least one other INGO member’s dad) was a member of the 434th when it was at Bakalar AFB near Columbus, flying C-119s.

Great picture btw!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Hercules, IMHO, is the best and most versatile plane ever!

I loved jumping them.
    I have three jumps from a C-130, and two from a C-130 (d’oh!) C-141 courtesy of The Airborne School at Fort Benning.

My first jump was from a C-130. I had flown in C-130s before and knew they were loud on the inside, but jeezlouise when you’re outside right behind that turboprop thrashing the air in full flight “LOUD” takes on a new meaning. Not to mention getting smashed back by the passing air.

I zipped back horizontally with the static line pulling my chute out and as it inflated it swung me like a pendulum back 180 degrees, parallel to the ground.

By chance my back was to the ground, so I was now facing up. The C-130 was still close, it looked like it was RIGHT THERE, like I could touch it. It was stunning to see it flying, gear up, props beating the air, still making a ton of noise, paratroopers spilling out the sides. It seemed to be floating away from me, altho of course it was me falling.

An amazing image that I’m still impressed by today.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The MC-130J Commando II is a special operations plane outfitted to fly low and at night to insert and retrieve special ops troops, refuel helicopters and Ospreys, and airdrop cargo or deliver cargo to dirt runways.

The USAF is experimenting with possibly developing an amphibious version via a kit added in the field, and also air-deploying a “Red Dragon“ pallet that would launch 12 JASSM stealthy cruise missiles in midair (the C-17 is also experimenting with this).

If you are going to be a Herc driver this would seem to be one of the more fun versions to fly.
    12 JASSMs off a pallet out of an MC-130? DAYYYUM!!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    434th ARW? I spent some time riding around in their KC-135s 1978-1982.

And my father (and at least one other INGO member’s dad) was a member of the 434th when it was at Bakalar AFB near Columbus, flying C-119s.

Great picture btw!
    Was active duty from 1979 to 1985. Moved to the Air Reserve Technician (ART) program in 1985 at Grissom. Started out in the 930th TFG as a jet tech on the A-10s. Transitioned to the 434 ARW as a Logistics Planner in 1994. Stayed with the 434th for the rest of my career.

When I started out, we had several guys who had made the move up from Bakalar to Grissom in 1970. They were all "good ole boys" from the sticks.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Was active duty from 1979 to 1985. Moved to the Air Reserve Technician (ART) program in 1985 at Grissom. Started out in the 930th TFG as a jet tech on the A-10s. Transitioned to the 434 ARW as a Logistics Planner in 1994. Stayed with the 434th for the rest of my career.

When I started out, we had several guys who had made the move up from Bakalar to Grissom in 1970. They were all "good ole boys" from the sticks.
    Where is/was Bakalar?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Ran across this pic on APOD site of a meteor over Naples Bay Italy.

1708335814551.png

Young Lance Corporal Don had just arrived on the carrier JFK CV-67 as a member of MARDET. First Med cruise so was excited to see new places.

Posted to the super structure for "Mail Buoy Watch". I knew they were F'ing with the new guy but it was a beautiful night, Christmas Eve 1977. Stood there watching Vesuvius and the lights of Naples thoroughly enjoying the evening. All the new things to see were great!

A meteor streaked across the sky about midnight. All in all not a bad watch of duty.

Don

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Guess I've got a few stories to add to the pile.

When I went though great lakes A school for basic seamanship.... Upper command was getting really strict on hazing there. As I'm sure you've seen its pretty easy to convince a fresh boot of basically anything

Apparently there was an issue of older guys convincing boots that the standard issue glow belt (to be worn after colors cause I guess recruits kept getting hit by cars) had to be recharged in the dormitory microwaves. Ha! I wonder how many microwaves got ruined by Ricky melting a plastic belt inside

The other issue there was that some poor recruit was convinced that of course everything needs to be stenciled and that included the dorm mattress.... And the only place that could stencil them was at the NEX all the way on the other side of base. Allegidly there was a guy that actually made it most of the way there with his mattress before someone stopped him, but I wasn't there for that.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Was in a unit for several years and one of my friends had a longtime on subs. He had stories about life on a sub that were really interesting. Lots of things he couldn't directly say.

Told me once he has seen places inside the USSR and China that were very interesting. Had a couple of awards that I couldn't readily understand and he won't say the reason why they were awarded.

Don

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Early 1982 a plane went into the Potomac in DC when it was icy. Lots of heart breaking pictures of the people in the water .

A member of our unit was a certified cold water diver. They flew him there to help recover bodies. Took him awhile after he returned to get straight again. Eventually told me a little about it, people sitting in their seats like the were waiting to land.

Don

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Guess I've got a few stories to add to the pile.

When I went though great lakes A school for basic seamanship.... Upper command was getting really strict on hazing there. As I'm sure you've seen its pretty easy to convince a fresh boot of basically anything

Apparently there was an issue of older guys convincing boots that the standard issue glow belt (to be worn after colors cause I guess recruits kept getting hit by cars) had to be recharged in the dormitory microwaves. Ha! I wonder how many microwaves got ruined by Ricky melting a plastic belt inside

The other issue there was that some poor recruit was convinced that of course everything needs to be stenciled and that included the dorm mattress.... And the only place that could stencil them was at the NEX all the way on the other side of base. Allegidly there was a guy that actually made it most of the way there with his mattress before someone stopped him, but I wasn't there for that.
    I think that actually beats newbie Fuels (POL) troops collecting exhaust samples in Mason jars from the refueling trucks. Yes, there were pictures.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Was in a unit for several years and one of my friends had a longtime on subs. He had stories about life on a sub that were really interesting. Lots of things he couldn't directly say.

Told me once he has seen places inside the USSR and China that were very interesting. Had a couple of awards that I couldn't readily understand and he won't say the reason why they were awarded.

Don
    Very believable. My neighbor in Norfolk was a submariner and he wouldn't say anything at all about those subs even tho we both were on the same base. Even now that we both are out he won't even tell me a thing about them. Sub guys are a breed all their own.

Top Bottom