Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't know enough about medals.
    Submariners don't get a lot of those.
    But I do see the national defense, on the bottom.
    I meant the rows not lining up.

As far as the rank, a Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Captain definitely outranks an Army Corporal-Captain.

Then again, Major General was Sergeant Major General WAY back in the day (Oliver Cromwell in 1655? That is WAY back in the day.) PO2/Captain would make sense if the Sergeant-Major General rank had stayed in vogue. Plus we wouldn't have the "why does a Lieutenant General outrank a Major General?" issue.

Ditching the Sergeant from Major General works for me. I'd hate to be mistaken for an Officer :stickpoke:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In Jump School, the XO introduced himself as Leutenant Major McClendon. He went on to explain that his first name was Major.
    Interesting. I never saw a cadre officer the entire time I was at jump school, except maybe at the graduation. Some colonel spoke, so I'd guess the cadre officers were there, but I don’t remember much about the graduation except that an NCO handed me my jump wings, and immediately after we were all detailed to pull grass by hand out of the gravel in front of some unoccupied building. One of the recent graduates kept us amused by repeating the colonel’s inspiring speech almost word-for-word while we pulled grass.

The Army was good about utilizing your free time so you wouldn’t think up something insane to do. Like sleep or raise hell or whatever.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Oh man….. speaking of really bad names…..

I was working in engineering department on the ship. One of the guys working in an office space with me knew the ivcs phone number that would dial into the loud speaker for all engineering spaces.

This guy dials the phone and I hear the 1mc click on, he holds the phone against his body.

Then walks in none other than our dear SHSN Lipps. Yes this guy was to be referred to as Seaman Lipps. He really shouldn’t have joined the navy.

Hey Lipps, phone for you! Guy grabs the phone and says “Seaman Lipps!?”. Then we heard it echo through the engineering spaces outside the door.

And shortly afterward the DCC was blowing up the radio chewing us out. I nearly died laughing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As SRO (Shutdown Reactor Operator) I had to maintain the lockout log, when the EDO (Engineering Duty Officer) wasn't present.

So, someone enters, needs to update the lockout log, and it's not there.
    No biggie, people often update it at the workstation, and forget to bring it back.

I don't know who has it. So I grab the 2MC (amplified announcing system for Engineering) and say..
    "Would the lockout log please cone back to Maneuvering please.".

Apparently, somebody higher up heard it, and thought I was being a smarts##.
    (I know. Hard to imagine)

And the EDO went aft to "rip me a new one".
    Note: my Dad did better jobs of that than MOST of my officers .

I asked what I SHOULD have said.
    He told me, I should have asked the person that had it, to return it.
    I DIDNT KNOW WHO HAD IT.
    And work was halted, and we were under pressure to get the job done.

So, after that, whenever the log disappeared, that Officer was called, so HE could find it.
    Actually the SRO would call the EDO.
    The EDO would call that Officer to find it

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We had a Seaman Wally Chief.
    If he stayed in, and got promoted enough, he'd be Chief Chief.

And yes, he was 'Native American"
    1986-1989: Young USAF 1/2/3-striper KellyinAvon is stationed at Moody AFB, Georgia. "Chief" is the term of address for a Chief Master Sergeant. "The Chief", was 2-striper and a Sioux from South Dakota. Super good guy and an outstanding troop.

Somebody from another squadron had called to borrow a forklift. When the guy comes to pick it up, the SSgt (friend of mine) who met him said "let's go talk to the Chief." The guy getting the forklift was all like, "Oh man! I thought I was talking to an Airman. I didn't know he was a Chief!" My bud doesn't say anything, just lets him go.

Well it's a warehouse in south Georgia, freakin hot. Everybody who is not in an office has there shirt with rank insignia off, because it's south Georgia and freakin hot. The Chief was older when he enlisted, was probably 27-28 and didn't look that young. Nobody told the guy picking up the forklift that the Chief was a 2-striper.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As SRO (Shutdown Reactor Operator) I had to maintain the lockout log, when the EDO (Engineering Duty Officer) wasn't present.

So, someone enters, needs to update the lockout log, and it's not there.
    No biggie, people often update it at the workstation, and forget to bring it back.

I don't know who has it. So I grab the 2MC (amplified announcing system for Engineering) and say..
    "Would the lockout log please cone back to Maneuvering please.".

Apparently, somebody higher up heard it, and thought I was being a smarts##.
    (I know. Hard to imagine)

And the EDO went aft to "rip me a new one".
    Note: my Dad did better jobs of that than MOST of my officers .

I asked what I SHOULD have said.
    He told me, I should have asked the person that had it, to return it.
    I DIDNT KNOW WHO HAD IT.
    And work was halted, and we were under pressure to get the job done.

So, after that, whenever the log disappeared, that Officer was called, so HE could find it.
    Actually the SRO would call the EDO.
    The EDO would call that Officer to find it
    Sounds like the EDO had OCD. More like CDO, which is OCD in alphabetical order.

If the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT.

If it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and we'll all be put on KP.

Top Bottom