• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    While we're on the subject, what about civilians and contractors? It's not just GIs who deploy anymore. Contractors were driving buses at Al Udeid, Qatar and up-armoring HUMVEEs at Balad, Iraq in 2005. A big advantage to contractors is no long-term cost like you have with GIs. Performing support roles because our military isn't as large as it used to be is why we have contractors performing that mission. I don't think we'll ever see a draft again (I'll be back on active duty before that happens, scary thought isn't it?)

What happens when a contractor gets hurt in a combat zone performing the mission? I honestly don't know, but kicking them to the curb doesn't strike me as the right thing to do.

They know what they're getting into. I've got mad respect, but they choose a different route for a number of reasons. None of it is under the same type of contract as military service. And, they can quit.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Guys, I appreciate that it seems you weren't as offended by my comments as I perceived.
    Thank you all for your service and have a Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, Thunderchicken.

Merry Christmas to all you veterans. Not only will I enjoy my Christmas, but I also have the privilege of serving in my turn and small way all thanks to you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a buddy who was in Army for 16-18 years, he is now in the Guard until his retirement vests. He owns his own business and is 60% disabled for bad knee and shoulder and he said this has to stay above 50% to get his retirement.

That is why I made my initial post, I didn't really understand how you can be considered "disabled" but still be fit for duty and earn as much as you like. I know the general public, if 100% disabled....can not earn any money without jeopardizing disability.

The term disabled isn’t the true definition of what is being received by veterans, but I think that’s already been addressed in this thread. I will note that a veteran cannot receive 100% compensation for a mental health concern, such as PTSD, and continue working. However, if he receives 70% for PTSD, 30% for fibromyalgia, 30% for sleep apnea, and 10% for hearing loss (100% in VA math), then he can continue working.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    When I got out and went to my first IRR meeting the SgtMaj there told us to go to the VA and claim tinnitus as they couldn't verify if you really have it or not for an easy 10%.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is not tinitus that is radio waves being picked up by your passive rfid.

And you thought those medics were giving you vaccines.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I was just wondering something...has it become common for young guys leaving military to get disability from military?

I have ran into more people in the last couple of weeks that get big checks from military but yet work full time, own their own companies, and some are even still in Guard.....and do just fine. I'll be honest, I was kind of shocked although I don't blame anyone for taking what is owed, but man....a couple of these guys were in 3 years, never left US soil and are getting, or fighting to get, nice disability checks.

Something isn't right here and isn't adding up... As Tier 1 group 1, there are strict requirements placed on getting 100% wether it be T&P, IU, or other internal red tape... Either they are lying to you or they are covering something up... Ask to see paperwork, any of the stolen valor ones won't have the proper paperwork but talk the lingo or somthing else of that sort... The real ones can usually spot a fake one a mile away, with some deciphering and quick silver tongued questioning...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Stolen Valor" by claiming they're getting disability and were never in a combat zone? What a world we live in. Unfortunately, i can believe it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Something isn't right here and isn't adding up... As Tier 1 group 1, there are strict requirements placed on getting 100% wether it be T&P, IU, or other internal red tape... Either they are lying to you or they are covering something up... Ask to see paperwork, any of the stolen valor ones won't have the proper paperwork but talk the lingo or somthing else of that sort... The real ones can usually spot a fake one a mile away, with some deciphering and quick silver tongued questioning...

Who would you bother to show your DD214 just so they believe what you have done? Would you honestly do that or invite them to jump off the nearest cliff?

Top Bottom