• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have fibromyalgia (joint pain), arthritis in my hips, and reduced cartilage in my knees, among other ailments. Please explain to me how I’m abusing the system?

You are mixing words. I didn't specify anyone here was abusing the system. I said my issue is with people who EITHER abuse the system OR those with run of the mill ailments.
    Based on what you said, here is my opinion. Fibromyalgia, causes chronic pain throught the whole body and can be quite debilitating. I see that as worthy of compensation. However, your arthrits, reduced cartilage in your knees. I sympathize, as I have those ailments as well. Unless it is some extreme case that makes it a disabilty that prevents you from working. But if not, suck it up buttercup. Those are run of the mill common ailments most of us working class service industry people have. I can see med visits being covered as part of a pension/ VA benefit to treat those conditions but not life long monthly compensation. Just my opinion but it doesn't diminish my gratefulness for your service

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You are mixing words. I didn't specify anyone here was abusing the system. I said my issue is with people who EITHER abuse the system OR those with run of the mill ailments.
    Based on what you said, here is my opinion. Fibromyalgia, causes chronic pain throught the whole body and can be quite debilitating. I see that as worthy of compensation. However, your arthrits, reduced cartilage in your knees. I sympathize, as I have those ailments as well. Unless it is some extreme case that makes it a disabilty that prevents you from working. But if not, suck it up buttercup. Those are run of the mill common ailments most of us working class service industry people have. I can see med visits being covered as part of a pension/ VA benefit to treat those conditions but not life long monthly compensation. Just my opinion but it doesn't diminish my gratefulness for your service

Anything can be considered run of the mill, but I got your buttercup, my man, and I’ll leave it at that.

If there is any vet vet on this board who has not been assessed for whatever reason, do it. It doesn’t matter if you were a desk jockey or door kicker. How much burning oil did you suck up? How many anthrax pills were you forced to take? How many jumps and rucks did you make with 85 pounds? How many of your friends did you see injuried or die? Don’t listen to people who will never understand and try to make you feel guilty. I’ve talked to many vets just over this holiday who are in pain and some of them still won’t go to the VA. It’s not about the money, but your health as you age and making our government care for us beyond two days out of the year.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Because I can see this thread going down the sewer and am anticipating that my view may be ruffling more than one's feathers, I will now refrain from any further expression of my opinion on the issue. Carry on, just don't get carried away.

Edit- it was never my intent to be disrespectful, or to make accusations or to downplay legitimate life long problems..especially PTSD or other mental impacts. Nor to discourage anyone from making a claim, using what is currently available. It's there use it, get the help you need

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have seen some of my brothers and sisters in arms scam the system.

I have seen some of my brothers and sisters lose faith in the system and just walk away without the care they need, and deserve.

Both bother me, but the latter the most. Scammers are always around, but I want every vet to get the care they need.

That "blank check" cliche is real, even though many don't realize it at the time. When I joined up at 17 I only wanted to drive tanks. Wasn't thinking about the big picture. It took a while for me to grow up and see that what I was doing was so important. It was peacetime (cold war) back then. I did my 4 years on active duty, but saw the importance of the job and stayed in the guard. 28 years, and 3 combat deployments later I'm retired and disabled with a VA rating of 90%. I don't get around very well these days with my blown out discs and mangled hip. Can't hear well, hardly at all when the tone is going on. Have killer headaches, PTSD, TBI, loss of memory, sensitive as hell to light. Can't stand being around crowds... I have come to depend on my VA compensation since I came back from Iraq. I have a variety of service connected issues thanks to a long service period, and one too many IED attacks. However, I have VA money to help pay the bills. I have VA health care free, including travel pay. I have a cane for walking short distance, and a walker for longer distance. I have a wonderful service dog who is my constant shadow.

The thing is, on that "blank check" issue... it sounds corny, but it's a real thing. However, I stayed in AFTER I grew up, and realized how important it was to have people out there on the line to write that check. Hate to say it, but many young troops, join, do their bit, and get out because of the benefits offered, all before ever realizing the importance of what they were doing. I think this is where a lot of the scammers come from. They are in it for "what can I get out of it?" This may also be where some of the animosity toward the troops comes from. Sometimes some of these young troops have a "You're welcome for my service" attitude. They go around wanting everybody to say thanks and pat them on the back, and give them their participation trophy. This kind of arrogance can be offputting, but if, and when they ever get sent into harms way, trust me, they will have to earn their keep.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was just wondering something...has it become common for young guys leaving military to get disability from military?

I have ran into more people in the last couple of weeks that get big checks from military but yet work full time, own their own companies, and some are even still in Guard.....and do just fine. I'll be honest, I was kind of shocked although I don't blame anyone for taking what is owed, but man....a couple of these guys were in 3 years, never left US soil and are getting, or fighting to get, nice disability checks.

Yes, I can see how in some cases getting a military disability check for life can seem questionable.

But, being that the military "owns" you during your enlistment, I can go along with being compensated for any injuries that occur during that time.
    Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the injury, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been in the military, as they would've been someplace else.

The military is important enough to this country that I'm not going to worry too much about it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wish I had never asked this question. I didn't mean to cause hurt feelings and am sorry if I caused anyone hurt feelings. I was just curious because of how often I hear guys talking about it. I am glad we have the military, it definitely makes us the safest nation in the world and can't imagine not having them....and I believe that.

Don't sweat it, I don't think it has caused any hurt feelings. Sure some of us have some differing opinions (as always), but I think the commonalty is we all support our Veterans and are thankful for their service and sacrifices.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with asking a question in a public forum. A lot of things get discussed and more things get learned by all. Everyone brings a different perspective on every issue. Everyone has a different point of view based on their own experiences. We need to have these discussions because it makes us better people and we have these discussions in a world that is not an echo chamber.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    OH BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!! Retirees like me (service connected disability, less than 50%) have the VA disability pay deducted from our retired military pay. Yes, we pay for our own disability pay.

Seriously?!?!?! That's a load of **** if I've ever heard one.

I think that started during the Reagan administration.
    Drawing retirement and disability was considered "double dipping".
    So, your pension had disability subtracted from it.
    Meaning, a guy that lost his leg gets the same amount as a healthy retiree.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have seen some of my brothers and sisters lose faith in the system and just walk away without the care they need, and deserve.

Both bother me, but the latter the most. Scammers are always around, but I want every vet to get the care they need.

That "blank check" cliche is real, even though many don't realize it at the time. When I joined up at 17 I only wanted to drive tanks. Wasn't thinking about the big picture. It took a while for me to grow up and see that what I was doing was so important. It was peacetime (cold war) back then. I did my 4 years on active duty, but saw the importance of the job and stayed in the guard. 28 years, and 3 combat deployments later I'm retired and disabled with a VA rating of 90%. I don't get around very well these days with my blown out discs and mangled hip. Can't hear well, hardly at all when the tone is going on. Have killer headaches, PTSD, TBI, loss of memory, sensitive as hell to light. Can't stand being around crowds... I have come to depend on my VA compensation since I came back from Iraq. I have a variety of service connected issues thanks to a long service period, and one too many IED attacks. However, I have VA money to help pay the bills. I have VA health care free, including travel pay. I have a cane for walking short distance, and a walker for longer distance. I have a wonderful service dog who is my constant shadow.

The thing is, on that "blank check" issue... it sounds corny, but it's a real thing. However, I stayed in AFTER I grew up, and realized how important it was to have people out there on the line to write that check. Hate to say it, but many young troops, join, do their bit, and get out because of the benefits offered, all before ever realizing the importance of what they were doing. I think this is where a lot of the scammers come from. They are in it for "what can I get out of it?" This may also be where some of the animosity toward the troops comes from. Sometimes some of these young troops have a "You're welcome for my service" attitude. They go around wanting everybody to say thanks and pat them on the back, and give them their participation trophy. This kind of arrogance can be offputting, but if, and when they ever get sent into harms way, trust me, they will have to earn their keep.

I would like to thank you for your service and your sacrifice sir.
    This is heartfelt.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

What I did during my career pails in comparison to what you and other brothers and sisters in arms have done...You have my utmost respect and I thank you for your service.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    How does an active service man go about getting their disabilty rating?

I'm not positive about active. Because if your active and get a rating they will probably medically retire you. Whatever you do make sure you are documenting it and are keeping up with treatments for it as all that will be looked at when you apply for it. Keep copies of all your stuff because no matter what the military always seems to lose it if you need it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think that started during the Reagan administration.
    Drawing retirement and disability was considered "double dipping".
    So, your pension had disability subtracted from it.
    Meaning, a guy that lost his leg gets the same amount as a healthy retiree.

That's disappointing on a few levels. I guess that seems "fair" to those who walked away with only a pension.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel

Veterans sign up for your VA account the VA data matches withe DOD to ensure you are legit.
    I would suggest you request your medical records from St.Louis records yourself and go though them.
    Look for times you were injured ect. Go from there.
    E file is fairly simple.

If still on active duty the Benfits at Discharge program will use your ETS physical as a VA exam a VSO will help you file.

Medical retirement is a DOD rating the VA evaluation is completely different rating.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How does an active service man go about getting their disabilty rating?
    There are two different entities who deal with service connected disabilities: the service branch and the Veteran's Benefit Administration. A Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) is the in-service process. Medical discharges and medical retirements result from not being able to continue military service. For navigating the VA, AMVETS and other veteran's service organizations can help going through the medical records and making the claim.

Documentation is everything. Also remember VA hospitals treat non-service connected conditions as well if you're a patient (co-pays on medicines is the big difference if you have a <50% rating.) I'm not quite deaf as a post yet. I have no service-connection for hearing loss (aircraft maintenance guys are really deaf from, go figure working on a really loud flight-line) and from my experience the USAF looks at career field in this matter (not maintenance = not that deaf.) When I exceed a certain percentage of hearing loss I can get FREE hearing aids from a clinic I walk by twice a day. That is worth the aggravation and paperwork because once you're in, you're in.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Most of the people in the military, especially those in FORSCOM units, do not go to sick call for just anything. Too many trips to sick call and you are threatened with a medical discharge. At least this was how it worked at Bragg. The montra was “Suck it up and drive on!” So, by the time people got out, there was nothing in their medical jackets. Even those who went to sick call came to find out their injury was “lost”. The only time I ever went to sick call was for a static line injury. I got a sling and was then told to take it off after two weeks or I would not be deployable. After 20 years of dealing with the pain, I went to the VA and they said it wasn’t “military connected” because it wasn’t in my records. I had to fight for two years to prove I was injured on a jump.

Even if you you don’t want to file a claim, request your medical files and check out 38 CFR.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most of the people in the military, especially those in FORSCOM units, do not go to sick call for just anything. Too many trips to sick call and you are threatened with a medical discharge. At least this was how it worked at Bragg. The montra was “Suck it up and drive on!” So, by the time people got out, there was nothing in their medical jackets. Even those who went to sick call came to find out their injury was “lost”. The only time I ever went to sick call was for a static line injury. I got a sling and was then told to take it off after two weeks or I would not be deployable. After 20 years of dealing with the pain, I went to the VA and they said it wasn’t “military connected” because it wasn’t in my records. I had to fight for two years to prove I was injured on a jump.

Even if you you don’t want to file a claim, request your medical files and check out 38 CFR.

My niece is dealing with some of this right now. Sadly.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There is progress being made on the retiree/disability front. Higher disability levels are getting concurrent receipt. I'll probably never see my retired pay go up, but it does give me something to rant about.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

So, jumping out of our perfectly good aircraft causes pain? :D

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm not positive about active. Because if your active and get a rating they will probably medically retire you. Whatever you do make sure you are documenting it and are keeping up with treatments for it as all that will be looked at when you apply for it. Keep copies of all your stuff because no matter what the military always seems to lose it if you need it.

I have a buddy who was in Army for 16-18 years, he is now in the Guard until his retirement vests. He owns his own business and is 60% disabled for bad knee and shoulder and he said this has to stay above 50% to get his retirement.

That is why I made my initial post, I didn't really understand how you can be considered "disabled" but still be fit for duty and earn as much as you like. I know the general public, if 100% disabled....can not earn any money without jeopardizing disability.

Top Bottom