• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Take my advice considering I inherited my late fathers Mini 14 and Colt AR15 SP2 target in 2001 and sold the Mini after having a chance to fire it the following spring.
    After 20 rounds down the pipe it was all over the place at 50 yards. Let the barrel cool down and good for another 20 rounds. Sold the Colt in 2008 for 2300.00 during
    the Obama scare right after buying a M4 carbine from the old Class 3 sales in Syracuse, IN. Still got the upper, swapped out the lower for a Plum Crazy composite lower.
    Go with the AR, parts availability, styles and types are numerous, and respectfully priced.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have both. Love the wood and the grarand-style action of my mini. Love the accuracy of my AR. I shoot the AR 100 rounds to 1 to the Mini. Wife prefers the Mini. Pretty much sums it up. Keep BOTH!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I ended up trading the mini in and picking up the Saint Edge with the upgraded M-Lok extended forearm and flip up sights. Based on the fact that the paint was barely gone on that deflector that the ejected shells hit and a manufacture date of May 2018, I figured the Saint was basically a new gun. The guy had added some additional Magpul items and some quick connectors for accessories as well as the matching case.

I didn't have to come out of pocket for much and have been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. It is on par with my Colt LE6920. Happy I made the trade.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a Mini 14 around 20 years ago. I could not get it to group better than 2.5-3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards did not matter what ammunition I used. I even mounted a scope on it. Still same outcome. I sold it off.

My AR15 can shoot 0.5-0.75 moa usually with 75 or 77gr bullets. 1.25 moa with 55gr. It's much more accurate. cost less, cheaper mags, and you can add upto a kitchen sink as an accessory.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Just traded my Mini 14 in 300BLK for a 938 Sig. Crazy I know.... Now looking for BETTER a semi auto in sufficient caliber that will easily dump pigs in FL. Recommendations gents?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just traded my Mini 14 in 300BLK for a 938 Sig. Crazy I know.... Now looking for BETTER a semi auto in sufficient caliber that will easily dump pigs in FL. Recommendations gents?

Ahhh, when did Ruger start making a mini 14 in a 300 Blackout......:dunno::n00b:

NEVER.:alright:

How about looking at the many deer legal variants of the AR.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I have no use for anything Mini and probably never will. AR ALL THE WAY.

They may not be the most accurate thing in the world but they are fun little rifles to shoot. I have been on the hunt for a used one for some time. I should’ve bought the $400 Walmart special last year....

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    They may not be the most accurate thing in the world but they are fun little rifles to shoot. I have been on the hunt for a used one for some time. I should’ve bought the $400 Walmart special last year....

Personally, imoho, a fun little rifle to shoot would be my Ruger 10-22 target rifle, and at least it's a tack driver. Something the Mini 14 never will be, or close to unless they start using a heavier barrel. When you buy a rifle
    you expect acuracy, and I find it hilarious that my JustRite 9mm carbine was 1000% more acurate at 100 yards than a Mini 14.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I had a Mini-14 years ago and loved it. It was alot of fun to shoot. I would like to have on in 7.62x39 for deer as it would make a very light and handy brush gun. That said, AR's are my go to rifle for home and property defense. The sheer amount of aftermarket support alone would steer me toward the AR.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Personally, imoho, a fun little rifle to shoot would be my Ruger 10-22 target rifle, and at least it's a tack driver. Something the Mini 14 never will be, or close to unless they start using a heavier barrel. When you buy a rifle
    you expect acuracy, and I find it hilarious that my JustRite 9mm carbine was 1000% more acurate at 100 yards than a Mini 14.

accuracy is an entirely relative term. I can hit at 200 yards a man sized target with boring regularity with my mini 30. What more would you need?
    Granted for a bench rest competition gun, the mini isn't it. Neither is a Mosin, but I have one of those too.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    accuracy is an entirely relative term. I can hit at 200 yards a man sized target with boring regularity with my mini 30. What more would you need?
    Granted for a bench rest competition gun, the mini isn't it. Neither is a Mosin, but I have one of those too.

Apples and oranges.

A Mini 30 has a better/heavier barrel on it, it is FAR superior than a MINI 14

You missed the part of where I said it was less accurate than a 9mm carbine @ 100 yards. In no uncertain terms should a long gun designed to fire a rifle round be less
    accurate than a carbine firing a pistol round. I have put 25 of 30 rounds on a 12 inch steel plate @ 100 yards with my 9mm carbine. Something that my fathers inherited
    Mini 14 was incapable of. If it's not pinging a 12 inch steel plate consistently @ 100 yds, how can you expect a Mini 14 to accurately hit a 20 inch wide chest @ 200 yards

I'm not into the spray and pray philosophy, I have neither the manpower or amount of rounds to play that game. Therefor I expect a reasonable amount of accuracy, something
    I feel the Mini 14 does not do.

Also to add I'd take Mosin over a Mini 14 any given day. Hell I'd take a M-1 .30 cal carbine with a shot out barrel over it.

Top Bottom