• 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Apples and oranges.

A Mini 30 has a better/heavier barrel on it, it is FAR superior than a MINI 14

You missed the part of where I said it was less accurate than a 9mm carbine @ 100 yards. In no uncertain terms should a long gun designed to fire a rifle round be less
    accurate than a carbine firing a pistol round. I have put 25 of 30 rounds on a 12 inch steel plate @ 100 yards with my 9mm carbine. Something that my fathers inherited
    Mini 14 was incapable of. If it's not pinging a 12 inch steel plate consistently @ 100 yds, how can you expect a Mini 14 to accurately hit a 20 inch wide chest @ 200 yards

I'm not into the spray and pray philosophy, I have neither the manpower or amount of rounds to play that game. Therefor I expect a reasonable amount of accuracy, something
    I feel the Mini 14 does not do.

Also to add I'd take Mosin over a Mini 14 any given day. Hell I'd take a M-1 .30 cal carbine with a shot out barrel over it.

The mini 14 does have a heavier barrel profile now, if I'm not mistaken. Not arguing for or against really. More power to your PC. I just got one in .40 (mostly because I can't do anything the normal way - hence why I bought a mini 30 and not an AK) and it's a really fun shooter.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The mini 14 does have a heavier barrel profile now, if I'm
    not mistaken. Not arguing for or against really. More power to your PC. I just got one in .40 (mostly because I can't do anything the normal way - hence why I bought a mini 30 and not an AK) and it's a really fun shooter.

The beautiful thing about my Just Right Carbine is that I can buy kits to change to .40 or .45. and I think .357Sig also. I'm really considering getting the .40 kit and getting a can for it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The beautiful thing about my Just Right Carbine is that I can buy kits to change to .40 or .45. and I think .357Sig also. I'm really considering getting the .40 kit and getting a can for it.

Trashing minis while pushing jrc? Neither has a good reputation. I've seen more first hand issues with jrcs than just about any other factory built gun. Minis are close to it though.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

If you're going to shoot a lot of 40/45, consider the Silencerco Hybrid. Works very well on .40, and can also be used on lever guns. Doesn't completely eliminate the report because of the supersonic nature of the 30/30 I have it on, but makes shooting and hunting much more enjoyable to any neighbors close buy.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Trashing minis while pushing jrc? Neither has a good reputation. I've seen more first hand issues with jrcs than just about any other factory built gun. Minis are close to it though.

Just the Mini 14, no experience with the 30. At least I have FIRST hand experience with both of them, not spouting off things that have been handed down like well worn too small winter jackets.
    Had problems, tried to remedy them to no avail. Luckily it was a inherited rifle and I had no initial purchase $$$'a in it.

Never had a problem with my JRC, heard a few have had problems, If I remember right, Rhino had one and had to have his chamber rebored. Mine has been great, the only problem I had was not with the JRC, but a
    aftermarket Glock 33 round mag that was causing feed problems. That lone mag is now landfill fodder after I cut it in two.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you're going to shoot a lot of 40/45, consider the Silencerco Hybrid. Works very well on .40, and can also be used on lever guns. Doesn't completely eliminate the report because of the supersonic nature of the 30/30 I have it on, but makes shooting and hunting much more enjoyable to any neighbors close buy.

:+1: On the suggestion!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I think a lot of guys get their panties in a bunch over the AR / Mini debate. Even the title of this thread "Mini 14 tacticool" is an example of why this isn't even an issue. First thing is that the AR platform was designed, and adopted as a military rifle from the get go. (like the AK) IMHO the Mini 14 isn't even in the running... as far as being a combat weapon. Now, that doesn't mean it's not a good rifle. I think it is. I just also think that people are using the wrong tool for the job if they think the Mini 14 is a battle implement.

Sure, it's designed to LOOK like one of our former military issue guns. However, it's also designed after what just happens to be the shortest lived general issue rifle in our history. A weapon used now only in small numbers, and for specialized reasons... all because of the cartridge it fires, rather than it's design. In that respect I like the Mini 14. While the M14 was not a suitable basic issue combat rifle, it does look cool. In fact, for some reason, I think it's probably the coolest looking rifle out there. It's got the old school Garand style action (very robust) a normal looking wood stock, and yet that big 20 round magazine hanging out the bottom. Very cool, if not practical. Kinda like everybody making bolt guns with extended detachable mags... because it looks cool. The Mini 14 looks very much like that, yet is lighter, and fires a smaller less expensive round suitable for general ranch work. (AND I suppose self defense.. if needed)

Ruger has rebranded the Mini 14 into the "ranch rifle", and in that role, it's a fine tool. There is a side benefit in that in CAN be fitted with 20 or 30 round mags, so it may give you the idea that it could be pressed into service as a defensive tool, but that's not it's primary role. I'm all for this. Now we have a basic use ranch rifle, that can also be used with bigger mags to fight off more bad guys, more coyotes, whatever... but it's a "Ranch Rifle". To slam this gun as unfit for a combat gun, is like slamming a break action shotgun for not being an effective combat gun. That's not what it's for.

I think that if your goal is to have a fighting gun, then by all means... get the AR. It's what I'll be using should it ever come to that. In fact, an SBR version is my home defense gun. I do, however also have a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Yes, I put an Ultimak scout rail, and a red dot on it... but though it could be used as a fighting gun, that's not why I have it. Want to have a diverse tool box? Get both. Just need a fighting gun only? Get the AR.

The Mini 14 is a good rifle... it's just not a fighting gun... unless it's all you have, or can have if you live in a commie state.

It IS, however, one seriously cool looking rifle, even if it's not the most accurate at range.

But hey, it's a "ranch rifle". It's not for engaging an enemy combatant at 300 yds+. (I'm not sure I'd ever do that with my AR either unless I had to. I'd use something bigger.) Use it for it's intended purpose, and you'll learn to love it.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The flip side is that an m4 can easily be equipped to be a superb “ranch rifle.” Just add some needlessly overweight wood furniture, lower grade iron sight, and a smaller magazine.

Top Bottom