• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So have you selected an instructor/course, yet? Las Vegas, or Reno?

Sir!

Probably going to complete my application at the Lincoln County Sheriff's office in Pioche. Training is pending waiting for a response from the sheriff. I'll go Las Vegas to one of the trainers with an indoor range who is on the Lincoln Co approved list.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, I'm still applying at the Lincoln Co Sheriff's office, but I have to work around their schedule. I'll be doing my training at The Gun Store in Las Vegas.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, I'm still applying at the Lincoln Co Sheriff's office, but I have to work around their schedule. I'll be doing my training at The Gun Store in Las Vegas.

Did you stop by the Pawn Stars shop, and pick up a nice, historical firearm with which to do your training?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . while life interfered with a journey to Nevada to enact my Minnesota Strategery, the state of Minnesota decided to remove Nevada from the list of license and permits they honor.

As of today, the list is limited to:

1. Alaska​
    2. Kentucky ​​
    3. North Dakota (Class 1 License only)
    4. ​Delaware
    5. Louisiana
    6. Rhode Island
    7. Idaho (Enhanced permit only)
    8. Michigan ​
    9. South Carolina
    10. ​Illinois
    11. New Jersey
    12. ​South Dakota (Enhanced permit only)
    13. Kansas
    14. New Mexico
    15. West Virginia (Regular permit only)

At this point, the best bet is North Dakota. The upside of that is that in Fargo, I could do the NoDak Class 1 training and test on one day, then a couple of days later do the Minnesota training.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    What I've discovered since I've been working in Minnesota is a combined training class that gets you 4 state licenses: MN, WI, UT, and FL. Cost of the class is $100, doesn't include the application fees for each license, but an Indiana resident would not need WI, and if you get UT, you don't need FL either and end up with reciprocity in 1 more state.

So not a bad deal considering combined cost of training and travel compared to traveling to more distant states.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This reciprocity thing is almost becoming a racket. Personally I have always been an advocate of keeping the fed.gov out of licensing and let that differ to the states. But the states seem to manage to mess everything up. To be fair the feds would probably muff it up even worse.

Best license to have seems to be Kentucky. I really wish IN would get constitutional carry passed to roll back some restrictions. Then we could work on a voluntary license to add reciprocity to places like MN and SC. I have been content with maintaining my FL and UT licenses but the ball just keeps moving.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So . . . while life interfered with a journey to Nevada to enact my Minnesota Strategery, the state of Minnesota decided to remove Nevada from the list of license and permits they honor.

As of today, the list is limited to:

1. Alaska​
    2. Kentucky ​​
    3. North Dakota (Class 1 License only)
    4. ​Delaware
    5. Louisiana
    6. Rhode Island
    7. Idaho (Enhanced permit only)
    8. Michigan ​
    9. South Carolina
    10. ​Illinois
    11. New Jersey
    12. ​South Dakota (Enhanced permit only)
    13. Kansas
    14. New Mexico
    15. West Virginia (Regular permit only)

At this point, the best bet is North Dakota. The upside of that is that in Fargo, I could do the NoDak Class 1 training and test on one day, then a couple of days later do the Minnesota training.

How do they decide this? Is it an age thing or what?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This reciprocity thing is almost becoming a racket. Personally I have always been an advocate of keeping the fed.gov out of licensing and let that differ to the states. But the states seem to manage to mess everything up. To be fair the feds would probably muff it up even worse.

Best license to have seems to be Kentucky. I really wish IN would get constitutional carry passed to roll back some restrictions. Then we could work on a voluntary license to add reciprocity to places like MN and SC. I have been content with maintaining my FL and UT licenses but the ball just keeps moving.

If I could get a Kentucky license, I'd already have it! Do they offer out of state now?

I think I just won't go to Minnesota.

That is my preference, but SWMBO . . . MBO.

How do they decide this? Is it an age thing or what?

You are correct!

From the Minnesota DPS web
    site:

Nevada has been withdrawn as a similar state because age 21 is no longer the minimum age for all permit applicants. Minnesota law requires all applicants to be at least 21 years old, without exception.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don’t know if KY offers non resident. I don’t think so. But it doesn’t solve the SC problem as they don’t recognize non-resident licenses. Only reason MN doesn’t recognize FL is because it doesn’t go through the state police. This reciprocity thing sucks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don’t know if KY offers non resident. I don’t think so. But it doesn’t solve the SC problem as they don’t recognize non-resident licenses. Only reason MN doesn’t recognize FL is because it doesn’t go through the state police. This reciprocity thing sucks.

Amen.

I can almost understand why states want permits and licenses they honor to be similar to theirs.

What makes no sense whatsoever is Illinois. They demand that a state's license or permit is similar to their not to honor that card, but as a requisite to apply for an Illinois license! WTF??? Why the hell does it matter if you would have to do their training and pass their background check just like each and every Illinois resident applicant? Obviously they want to give the appearance that they respect human rights,, but they clearly do not want people carrying guns. It's blatantly deceitful and unethical at best.

Top Bottom