Missing Argentine submarine. (15 NOV 2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    My Senior Chief brother would not elaborate due to obvious reasons but he disputed what the media says that sub actually does.

Read this, you will know exactly what that sub is for and why. I am impressed that such a tiny gizmo is nuc powered though.

33233f9a674752fa2c0e0926c28a4db4289946a7.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Read this, you will know exactly what that sub is for and why. I am impressed that such a tiny gizmo is nuc powered though.

33233f9a674752fa2c0e0926c28a4db4289946a7.jpg

Fuel enrichment and geometry can make a pretty small but powerful reactor. I've always heard that the navy uses more highly enriched fuel than civil reactors, but have no idea how high. The geometry of criticality is very unforgiving though, and anything small making a lot of power has a certain amount of energy inertia that has to be figured in. That includes chemical in addition to nuclear reactions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've been thinking about doing a "fiction based on reality", based on the battle of Leyte Gulf (battle off Samar).
    WWII.
    Possibly the most mismatched fight in the history of naval combat.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've been thinking about doing a "fiction based on reality", based on the battle of Leyte Gulf (battle off Samar).
    WWII.
    Possibly the most mismatched fight in the history of naval combat.

Mismatched it was. How much do you think the battle was influenced by Admiral Kondo having fallen overboard and manifesting symptoms of hypothermia?

One also wonders how it would have gone down had Willis Lee shown up with the Iowa-class battleships.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Mismatched it was. How much do you think the battle was influenced by Admiral Kondo having fallen overboard and manifesting symptoms of hypothermia?

One also wonders how it would have gone down had Willis Lee shown up with the Iowa-class battleships.

While he ran from the undergunned Americans, had he stayed, he would has lost his fleet.
    Reinforcements were just starting to arrive.
    Air attacks were beginning to be coordinated.
    Had the attack not been botched at the beginning, and had they had better fire control, he could have wreaked havoc.
    But... the transports he was after, were already unloaded.
    It would have been an empty victory.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I just finished "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors".
    An AWESOME account of the battle.

I was about to mention this book. Flying inverted over a Jap ship and hurling coke bottles. Horrifyingly desperate and yet inspirationally defiant. That account is the movie Hollywood should be making now instead of a Midway retread that looks more like Pearl Harbor II: The Search for Water Makers.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Fuel enrichment and geometry can make a pretty small but powerful reactor. I've always heard that the navy uses more highly enriched fuel than civil reactors, but have no idea how high. The geometry of criticality is very unforgiving though, and anything small making a lot of power has a certain amount of energy inertia that has to be figured in. That includes chemical in addition to nuclear reactions.

It's just as well you don't. Actaeon would have had to hunt us all down and kill us. And yes I too am for more story time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Even on a "big" nuke, space could be at a premium.

th

Found this pic on the internet. It's not me, or my pic.
    This is "Maneuvering". Which is the control room for Engineering.
    It is NOT called "Control", because that is the name for the room where you control the sub.
    And there can be NO mistake which room is being called.

To the left, where the red sign is, is the Throttle Control Panel. The red sign is on the throttles, 2 different wheels. The sign indicates the "jacking motor" is engaged, keeping the reduction gears on a very low rotation, to keep the lubrication to the gears.
    The photographer is standing where the throttleman would be.

The guy in the center, is the RO, Reactor Operator. That would have been me. Sitting at the RPCP, Reactor Plant Control Panel.

Behind him, to the left, is the EO, Electrical Operator. He controls the main electrical distribution center, AC and DC. Steam Generators and Motor Generators.

To the right facing away, would be where the EOOW, Engineering Officer Of the Watch, sits. He directly oversees the operation of the engineering plant, and the 3 operators in Maneuvering.

If you notice, almost every spare space is covered in indicators, switches, lights, gauges, etc.

Any watchstander in that space would need to know what EVERY one of those does, where it comes from, how it gets there.

Top Bottom