Missing Argentine submarine. (15 NOV 2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for finding this.
    I had a brief mention about this in my story about the USS Thresher.
    Now I can update it.

No problem. Searched threads for where to put and since this was more recently used thread on the subject, figure I'd put it here

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Since this thread is evolving into the missing sub thread:

Bow of USS Grunion found

USS Grunion was a WWII Gato class sub lost near the Aleutians for unknown reasons. The main body of the sub was found, interestingly, by the sons of the Grunion's skipper in 2007. The bow was found by a group dedicated to finding all 52 WWII lost submarines: Lost 52 Project.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    WWII Submarine USS Grayback found by the Lost 52 Project:

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/uss-grayback-a-wwii-submarine-lost-75-years-ago-located-off-coast-of-japan]USS Grayback, a WWII submarine lost 75 years ago, located off coast of Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Grayback_(SS-208):
    Grayback's tenth patrol, her most successful in terms of tonnage sunk, was also to be her last. She sailed from Pearl Harbor on 28 January 1944, for the East China Sea. On 24 February Grayback radioed that she had sunk two cargo ships 19 February and had damaged two others (Taikei Maru and Toshin Maru sunk). On 25 February she transmitted her second and final report. That morning she had sunk tanker Nanho Maru and severely damaged Asama Maru. With only two torpedoes remaining, she was ordered home from patrol. Due to reach Midway on 7 March, Grayback did not arrive. On 30 March ComSubPac listed her as missing and presumed lost with all hands.From captured Japanese records the submarine's last few days can be pieced together. Heading home through the East China Sea after attacking convoy Hi-40 on 24 February, Grayback used her last two torpedoes to sink the freighter Ceylon Maru on 27 February. That same day, a Japanese carrier-based plane spotted a submarine on the surface in the East China Sea and attacked. According to Japanese reports the submarine "exploded and sank immediately," but antisubmarine craft were called in to depth-charge the area, clearly marked by a trail of air bubbles, until at last a heavy oil slick swelled to the surface. Grayback had ended her last patrol, one which cost the enemy some 21,594 tons of shipping.Grayback CO, John Anderson Moore was posthumously awarded after this mission his third Navy Cross (see Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 336 (March 1945))Grayback ranked 20th among all submarines in total tonnage sunk with 63,835 tons and 24th in number of ships sunk with 14. The submarine and crew had received two Navy Unit Commendations for their seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth war patrols.Grayback received eight battle stars for World War II service.

There was a second USS Grayback submarine launched in 1958, the first of the Grayback class of attack subs, but later converted to carry nuclear cruise missiles, then converted again to be an amphibious transport submarine. She served until 1984.

ETA: Lost 52 Project video:
    [video=youtube;ubNbxbwFb1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ubNbxbwFb1c&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

The vid notes the deck gun was 117m from the boat. It appears to me the damage from the 500lb bomb that Japanese plane dropped on is right where the deck gun was, just aft of the conning tower.

grayback_file.jpg

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    WWII Submarine USS Grayback found by the Lost 52 Project:

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/uss-grayback-a-wwii-submarine-lost-75-years-ago-located-off-coast-of-japan]USS Grayback, a WWII submarine lost 75 years ago, located off coast of Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Grayback_(SS-208):

There was a second USS Grayback submarine launched in 1958, the first of the Grayback class of attack subs, but later converted to carry nuclear cruise missiles, then converted again to be an amphibious transport submarine. She served until 1984.

ETA: Lost 52 Project video:
    [video=youtube;ubNbxbwFb1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ubNbxbwFb1c&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

The vid notes the deck gun was 117m from the boat. It appears to me the damage from the 500lb bomb that Japanese plane dropped on is right where the deck gun was, just aft of the conning tower.

grayback_file.jpg

The story of The Grayback was in the spots American Forces Network (AFN) ran in lieu of commercials when broadcasting American TV. It was done very well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    this sub is bigger, a lot bigger, than the one I was on.
    look at all the space.

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;578354966301421]https://www.facebook.com/ketv7/videos/578354966301421/[/video]

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Since this is more or less the "lost sub" thread, I'll put this here. I read about it in early February but just remembered today to post it:

Judge Orders Navy to Release USS Thresher Disaster Documents

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A U.S. District Court judge ordered the Navy to start releasing unclassified documents related to the sinking of USS Thresher (SSN-593), 57 years after 129 officers, sailors and shipbuilders died in the nation’s worst nuclear submarine disaster.
    Retired Navy Capt. James Bryant, a former Thresher-class submarine commander, sued the Navy in July to force the release of unclassified investigation documents detailing Thresher‘s operation during its final dive. The Navy previously rebuffed Bryant’s request for records under the Freedom of Information Act.

During a Monday court hearing, Judge Trevor McFadden ordered the Navy to start releasing the requested material. Bryant, while pleased with McFadden’s ruling, shelved his excitement until he sees what the Navy starts releasing and whether the documents are heavily redacted.

The Thresher disaster spurred the Navy to create its SubSafe program. Bryant, who wrote about Thresher‘s sinking in the July 2018 Proceedings, says there are still competing theories about what caused the disaster.

The Navy is supposed to start releasing material (300 pages) by 15 May and then 300 more pages on the 15th of each month thereafter. The Navy has not seemed anxious to do this, so I'll bet they go for another delay due to corona virus stuff.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I first read about the Indonesian sub yesterday, the article said the oxygen would run out sometime tomorrow. Just read an article that the sub has been declared sunk. Very sad.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can subs recover from really extreme attitudes like inverted or vertical and is that something practiced? I know it's done with airplanes, sometimes extreme, depending on the skill of the examiner/instructor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can subs recover from really extreme attitudes like inverted or vertical and is that something practiced? I know it's done with airplanes, sometimes extreme, depending on the skill of the examiner/instructor.
    Is this something like "is Tom Clancy's 'Crazy Ivan' maneuver truth or fiction?"

Top Bottom