• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've become a big fan of the blue Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It comes with a nice needle tip on the bottle making is super easy to apply precisely. It seems to adhere well, doesn't dry up, and doesn't seem to attract grit. It's really good stuff--try it. I think you'll all like it. I got it at Premier Arms in Brownsburg, but most will have to order it online.

Extreme Duty Gun Oil

I like it but it causes my Steyr m9-a1 to not lock open on the last round. Everything else seems to run fine.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll use grease on certain things, however as far as oil goes I have put 10w on a rifle bolt but I just started buying the oil Lucas Oil markets as gun oil and it works very well and lasts a long time. Otherwise as someone else mentioned I love Ballistol.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I do not recommend using atf or adding it in a mix. I've tried it with full auto, and had it burn in many exhaust systems, and it stinks and the smoke burns your eyes unlike reg motor oil... Any motor oil FTW.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I had to smile, when I was a young lad 'bout 60 years ago, I did a lot of hunting with a 22. Being somewhat short of funds (broke) and using a borrowed rifle, I cleaned and oiled it after every hunt. The cleaning kit consisted of a "bobby pin", a length of fishing line, cut up cotton rags, kerosene (or gasoline) and 3 in 1 oil. I did have a can of linseed oil and wiped it on the stock when I cleaned the gun.

The 3 in 1 oil apparently did a good job as the rifle never jammed, had any sign of wear an the bore was as shiny as new. Now I have a large stock of various gun cleaners and lube ~ doubt any really do any better job than the 3 in 1. Have to admit I purchased most of the cleaners and lubes when they were on the clearance shelf at very low prices.

I am intrigued by the Swiss gun grease, I purchased a couple of the Swiss cleaning kits that were at several gun shows recently. I have a K-31 that obviously was lubed with the grease from the kits for many years and it, like every K-31 I have seen is in pristine condition. There is a pretty good supply of that grease remaining in the kits I purchased so may try it out on some of my firearms. It must work in very cold conditions or the Swiss wouldn't be using it, I may try it out in an AK, Garand or similar rifle and see how it works. It obviously prevents any rust or corrosion.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I have been an Amsoil oil man for years. I use it in all of my engines and gearboxes. With that said, it is like Mobil 1, fully synthetic. I recommend using any type of fully synthetic 10W-30 or 5W-30 oil. I have seen lab tests with synthetics and you can't beat their protection and lubrication properties.

Most oils, synthetics or petroleum based, will work. The oils usually will not break down, it is the contamination that creates the problems. And, the only way to prevent contamination problems is to regularly clean your weapon.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I've tried all sorts and kinds. Spent lots of money chasing the ultimate gun lube. In the end I keep coming back to good ole 3 in 1 and basic gun grease.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Years ago I started with motor oil...30w unknown brand (borrowed from dad) and it worked on my '94 just fine. Since then I've accumulated a host of weapons and have listed to too many on the virtues of their preferred weapons lube. I believe I'm headed back to the motor oil aisle next time I need to restock.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I've got to chuckle when guys post about their high dollar lubes...and justify it because the don't break down and are slicker.
    Do you know how much heat cycling it takes to break down oil? More than any gun will ever ever ever live through....plus...even if it lasts 50 years....do you not still clean your gun?
    All that lube attracts dirt...that part of its purpose, they add detergents.

3in1 works fine, cheap motor oil works fine, $15/qt lube probably works fine.

Kerosene, brake cleaner, gasoline, all clean very well.

I think you guys waste more money than you need to....the mobile1 grease that I use....I don't even remember buying it...it just showed up one day.

God bless
    - Shred

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have used whatever handy I have around, even vegie oil and food grade lube which is straight mineral oil, no ill effects, at least on my ARs. I don't oil my pistols.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I tend to use a little motor oil (10w-30) on the slide rail of my Star Model 30M, and all seems smoother with it. I don't use much as a little does go along way.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    Kroil and Aero-Kroil really do live up to the hype. More "creepy" and better at freeing stuck parts than PB Blaster, smells better, and doesn't leave sticky residue behind like PB Blaster.

It's so "creepy" Kroil leaks through the seams of its can. I have to transfer it to a glass jar.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I spent too much playing with different gun lubes before finally settling on motor oil and bearing grease.

I still clean with hoppes, and other gun specific solvents, though a can of brake cleaner has been employed in the detail cleaning of a used gun.

Top Bottom