• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    I can see both sides pretty well. I love the idea as to having more than one "whole gun" especially if you're spouse and or family members can carry on and off when they feel the need for a little extra protection. However I think (or need to beleive ) that if these conversion kits are used more and more the price could be dropped as they will not be a luxury and may be more plentiful so then I can possibly own a couple of them.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I like the concept a lot. I actually have a P320 on my wish list. I probably would just buy another gun instead of multiple different conversion kits like most else here. But the cool thing I think is the options that could come from the factory or aftermarket. Like if you bought a P320 a year ago but now really like the new frame of the x-five p320, you could just buy the frame fro cheap (when available) instead of new gun.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like the concept a lot. I actually have a P320 on my wish list. I probably would just buy another gun instead of multiple different conversion kits like most else here. But the cool thing I think is the options that could come from the factory or aftermarket. Like if you bought a P320 a year ago but now really like the new frame of the x-five p320, you could just buy the frame fro cheap (when available) instead of new gun.

With the way marketing is I will be surprised if they sell the X grip and if they do there will be some $$ for it.

Hope that's not the case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It makes a lot of sense for some folks. Folks who can have a limited number of firearms per license, for example. One "firearm", multiple options. Logistics for large organizations, ditto. Billy Bighands retires and you need to equip the new rookie Louie Littlefinger, swap it out.

Do a trigger job? It's now on any size pistol you want it to be. Etc. Etc.

Like anything else, it has pros and cons. If the pros don't apply to you, move on.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I looked at a 320 in 45 (have shot the 9mm version) and they are great shooting guns. Will probably get one in 45 just to have.

But I am not dumping my existing platforms either.

Apparently my wife listens more than I thought though when the 320 and a few other striker guns came out and most recently the Cz P10 my wife summed it up best.

She simply says "Another one" just sort of thought that was funny. She shoots but isn't a gun girl by any means but was her observation and it was pretty spot on.

Other observation a lot of people in a misguided way referred to the SIG 2022 as a poor man's SIG but the 320 at similar costs isn't. That was funny NY how a few adjusted their opinions. Just saying

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think its the future, not for us(individual)as much as for police/military, I'm 5'9" 200#'s with medium size hands, there's a female epd officer who's maybe 5'4" and one or two males who are 6foot or taller.

now we can buy a gun that fits our hands, but not everybodys hand will fit every gun i.e. I have a glock 19, and I had to put an extended mag and slide release on it so I could use my thumb to reach both.

our local police department wont let officers modify their issue guns (they carry glock 21's) now out of the factory, my 320 compact (medium size) has the right reach for me(both trigger and slide release), but that 6'5" foot tall former starting linebacker for the colts, who is now a police officer, might need the large grip, and for 38.00 from midway usa (and I'm sure a hell of a lot cheaper for the military and police) the gun will now fit pretty much everybody.

so I think its the future, and I think if gaston made a modular gun, the us army might have picked it instead of the p320

(and I bet glock is working on a modular system as we speak!)

so to put it this way, if I wanted a small medium and large glock, im out 500 for a 17, 500 for a 19, and 500 for a 26 (1500.00 for all 3)

or buy a p320 full size(500.00), and a compact 320 kit (299.00), and a 320 subcompact kit(299.00) (1100.00 for all 3) and save 400.00 bucks

OR if I want a full size 40 for competition, and a 9mm sub compact for carry im out 800 bucks for the modular sig

For many home gamers, the modularity is not a huge value. Not until x-change kits get down to $250 or so.

For me the modularity has two appealing aspects: I can buy my GGI trigger once instead of many times. And I can keep all my rounds on the same trigger group, helping it achieve that feel that only comes with high round counts.

Also, I can make configurations the factory never offered, like a full size slide on Compact frame.

Finally, there's the ease of cleaning....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I had an idea, many years ago, when glock, first came out .....

make 3 sizes of frame, compact, med., and "full size .....

make interchangeable barrels and slides .....

so weather you have a glock, S&W, or springfield,

you buy, say a 9mm, and then all you have to do, is buy a barrel,

in .357 sig., .40, or .45 .....

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I doubt that many owners will ever swap out the components. But consider this from both a manufacturer and a volume buyer viewpoint. The manufacturer can get a lot more for his R&D dollar by developing an entire series of firearms from one base model. Plus the fact that the serialized component (i.e. the legally-defined firearm itself) is easily separated from other components makes their life easier also. For a volume user they can stock repair/replacement parts that quickly and easily can be swapped out.

I suspect we'll be seeing more and more guns go with this modular design. It makes a lot of sense and the ones I have experience with (Beretta Nano and Sig P320) are both excellent handguns in my opinion. I'm not clear on the downside. I'm not convinced that there is a compelling reason as an individual buyer to prefer one of these but I have no issues with buying one.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm of the same mindset that I'd rather have a whole, separate P320 for $100 or so rather than spend a little less and have 2 calibers for one P320. I like the way it feels and fires enough that I'd have no issue having a second one.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I guess Im a douche for owning a subcompact frame and a compact frame in my size of choice for my p320. Lots of butthurt in this post. Jesus.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While the modular system is not much value to the gun buying public, it's an absolutely wonderful thing to the gun makers. With the introduction of the P320, Sig can crank out cores at whatever rate they can handle and then worry about the configuration later. If the market gets hot this summer for compact 9mms, then they mate the core to a slide and grip module and sell compacts. If full size .45s take off, then they build those. But, they don't need to plan too far ahead of the market like they would do with other guns. If you think of it in terms of stocking levels, they can build separate components individually and then combine them as needed to maintain stocks, so it's easier to keep from running short of one type pistol while having an over run of another if buying trend predictions are off.

I wonder how many other gun manufacturers are looking at trying the same thing. That might be the next big thing in Glocks down the road 10 years. When the logistics of producing guns in a modular form show benefits, they may need to produce them instead of just changing the shape of their grip texture bumps every couple of years. I wonder how long until someone starts jumping on the bandwagon of Sig's P320 and begins producing aftermarket grips for them? Or, maybe carbine conversions based on the modular serialized component being able to be dropped in. In a way, Sig is attempting to do for handgun what the AR did for rifles. Build a core receiver that can be built out any way the end user wants.

So, while today the end user sees little value, it could be that in 10 years we look back at this time as a watershed moment in handgun design. This might be as big a shift in handgun production as the Glock was back in the 80s.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't see a thing wrong with any of it, like said it's a blessing for gun companies because people love choices! That's the best part of being an American, we have a choice!

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    While the modular system is not much value to the gun buying public, it's an absolutely wonderful thing to the gun makers. With the introduction of the P320, Sig can crank out cores at whatever rate they can handle and then worry about the configuration later. If the market gets hot this summer for compact 9mms, then they mate the core to a slide and grip module and sell compacts. If full size .45s take off, then they build those. But, they don't need to plan too far ahead of the market like they would do with other guns. If you think of it in terms of stocking levels, they can build separate components individually and then combine them as needed to maintain stocks, so it's easier to keep from running short of one type pistol while having an over run of another if buying trend predictions are off.

I wonder how many other gun manufacturers are looking at trying the same thing. That might be the next big thing in Glocks down the road 10 years. When the logistics of producing guns in a modular form show benefits, they may need to produce them instead of just changing the shape of their grip texture bumps every couple of years. I wonder how long until someone starts jumping on the bandwagon of Sig's P320 and begins producing aftermarket grips for them? Or, maybe carbine conversions based on the modular serialized component being able to be dropped in. In a way, Sig is attempting to do for handgun what the AR did for rifles. Build a core receiver that can be built out any way the end user wants.

So, while today the end user sees little value, it could be that in 10 years we look back at this time as a watershed moment in handgun design. This might be as big a shift in handgun production as the Glock was back in the 80s.

Im all on board as long as I can order the combination I want. As of now, if I want a sig p302 with a full size slide and a compact frame, I have to pay 550 for the full size gun and another 400 for the compact kit that comes with a bunch of components I dont need. It makes sense if I can buy the individual components that I want. COmon Sig, just sell the parts individually! Also produce a threaded full size barrel for the p320!

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    I like the idea of modular guns and own 2 SIG P320 Compact models ---1-9mm---1-45acp. I've also owned (in the past) a P320 SC 9mm(Too Small-could not get a full-hand grip on it) , and had a Full-size P320 in 9mm (Too Large for my Tastes and MY size). So in my case I've kind of tried certain options , All did not work for me , but they may with some of you fellow gunslingers.
    Time will tell if these pistols will hold up to long -term use. Sig is already starting to produce the P320's with different options and have a contract to produce the pistol for a branch our Military.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I guess Im a douche for owning a subcompact frame and a compact frame in my size of choice for my p320. Lots of butthurt in this post. Jesus.

Not douchey at all. I did the same thing with my Sig P250's before switching back to Glocks. I had a full size, compact and sub compact full guns, and some extra grip frames. You could have a long slide compact and longslide subcompact. If you were handy with a dremel, you could have short barreled guns as well. p250sig.com has people on there who have done some pretty cool things with the grip frames.
    The P320 is how the P250 should have been made from the start.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Firearms, like boats, are a trade off from the get go.

If the perfect compromise could be attained there would be only one product. Well, maybe a choice of color.

Its a fad. IMHO.

Fosgailte

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2017
    COLORADO SPRINGS
    Don't think of it as much as a fad as something different. Not a whole lot of innovation these days, just a lot of mimicry and whitewash. How many "custom" or "tactical" 1911 manufacturers are there these days? Reminds me of "filmmakers" remaking every '60s or '70s TV show or movie again...

Top Bottom