• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So being that it's tax time I decided to also get an idea on how much I dropped in 2011 on guns, ammo, and accessories. The stuff I have receipts for I came up with around $4000. I also estimate between $500-$1000 in things I didn't keep receipts for like: gas money, admission and misc. items at gun shows, shooting range fees, etc. Just curious if anyone else ever pays attention to this ??

Garrett72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Granger, In
    You must be a single man...because a married man would never openly admit on a public forum any dollar amount spent on his hobbies for fear of his wife seeing it...lol

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I spent about $1000 on actual guns last year, but I sold $400 worth. I spent about $1500 on ammo, targets, and range fees. I would have spent significantly more if I hadnt spent a majority of my throw away money on my house and an inconveniently timed replacement car.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You must be a single man...because a married man would never openly admit on a public forum any dollar amount spent on his hobbies for fear of his wife seeing it...lol

Married for 8 years in the spring. Wife's slowly coming around to the gun world and she's got a lifetime permit too. I've found that wives are like parents, they know everything, no matter if you tell them or not. She's cool with my being into guns, just doesn't care for me being online all the time.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was going to start doing this about 4 years ago. After about 3 months I realized I didn't want to know anymore.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was going to start doing this about 4 years ago. After about 3 months I realized I didn't want to know anymore.

Yeah, I realized things were kinda out of hand once I started adding. Wish I wouldn't had. I also went through my records of just firearms themselves, 23 guns bought/sold/traded in 2011 alone. I joined INGO in February and my total before that was 10 in my life. I'm just now figuring out what my likes/dislikes are in guns. Thing is I'm not doing this to flip guns or make money, just enjoying the different kinds and trying to find "keepers".

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I've done this for many years. I use it as guage to see how well I did over the previous year. I save all receipts for every firearm, ammo, or part purchase I made that year. I even make a note of all sales. At the end of the year I sit down with a stack of receipts and an adding machine and tally it all up. My spending habits have gotten alot better. This last year I spent about $2500.00 The most I have ever spent was a little over 9 grand. That hurt. :ugh:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Last year was the first year I spent more on guns than I did on booze. A rough estimate (ammo and accessories not included) would be $4500.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Uggh! I never even thought about that. I think I might be too scared to figure it out!

:eek: Just figured $3200 just in guns alone! My wife is going to shoot me!

Last edited:

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    More than my wife wanted me to. I would be curious to know from some of you that have been doing this a little longer if you would agree that with patient (read non-impulsive) buying, many gun purchases are actually an investment. I suspect that gun prices will not be going down any time soon. If Obama wins a second term I would expect guns to dramatically increase in value. Ditto for ammo. Additionally I can envision various scenarios where a gun collection of ordinary but functional guns might become priceless.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Yikes- I kinda wish I hadn't looked, it's worse than I thought! Between hubby and I and our buying and trading, we have owned 13 guns this year. We now each own 3. We spent over $6000 in guns alone, not including ammo and accessories! And to think this all started with a trip to the gun shop to buy ONE gun!

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Our house has hers--mine-- and ours-- accounts . The first two have a respectful " Don't ask and don't brag" policy . Married 20+++ years:)

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    I really dont want to know how much ive spent in 12 short months. a rough estimate would be 4000+ in firearms only. Accessories wouldnt be far off that amount just for the fact i bought a trijicon.

Top Bottom