Monster/Creature Films...Any fans and what's your favorite??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Serious horror movie: "Them" (Recently found out that Leonard Nimoy had a bit part in it!) I hid under the covers just waiting for one of those giant ants to come crashing through my bedroom window!!!!

Semi serious horror movie: "The Attack of the Giant Crab Monsters". Definitely Grade B, so bad it was comical.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I also remember going to see "It's Alive" about the killer baby. I actually saw that right before going camping with some buddies back in the woods. We heard every twig crack and leaf rustle all night long.

My sister saw that when she was in high school. She told me a story about how she was telling the people in her driver's ed car about the movie and how scary it was and the teacher had to pump the brakes because she kept going faster!

Serious horror movie: "Them" (Recently found out that Leonard Nimoy had a bit part in it!) I hid under the covers just waiting for one of those giant ants to come crashing through my bedroom window!!!!

"Them" was indeed great movie. James Whitmore was awesome and I was very sad as a kid when I saw him die saving the boy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Semi serious horror movie: "The Attack of the Giant Crab Monsters". Definitely Grade B, so bad it was comical.

"Them" was awesome.......Scared the Poo out of me as well........:nailbite:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "Them" was awesome.......Scared the Poo out of me as well........:nailbite:

This trailer scared me something fierce...We were at the Lakewood Drive In in about 1972...(That would have made me about 8 years old...) The trailer came on and spooked me....Then when I went down to the concession stand to get some popcorn and saw the poster.....I had a nightmare that night that biker/hippie/werewolves were out in force and I woke up screaming when I thought a Harley was coming through my window with a werewolf on it....

[video=youtube;MEGTIvH0amM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGTIvH0amM[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Legend of Boggy Creek scared the crap out of me (after the fact) when I was a kid. I was in Boy Scouts at the time, and a buddy and I (who had also seen it) were walking back to camp one night just after dark, down at Lake Monroe (Camp Ransburg). All of a sudden we heard a series of low, gutteral growls coming up from the bottom of a steep hill off to our right, which led down to the water's edge. I about climbed onto his back! As it turned out, the "growls" were just a guy trying to start his outboard motor. :):

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Just watched Trollhunter the other night on Netflix. Was subtitled but I thought it was great. The different trolls were pretty well done. I love the campy horror/monster Movies and Netflix does well with suggesting others based on your viewing history.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another of my favorites was "Trilogy of Terror". Don't really remember the other two, but the one part I do remember was the one with Karen Black and the Zuni doll that came to life and chased her around her apartment.

31-trilogy-of-terror.jpg

And then of course he ends up "possessing" her in the end...

fark_fzomeFrq23ObopvMwyzVh0qxFxk.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    "Them" is another one I watch on a regular basis....thanks to the modern miracle that is Amazon and the DVD.

Any old sci-fi with Marshal Dillon (James Arness) is a classic!!

That whole genre of giant mutant bugs is just too much fun. "Tarantula" (a VERY young Clint Eastwood had a bit part as a cop), "The Mist", "The Fly", "Frogs", "Infestation"....just awesome stuff!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    We had a guy that came on the air when I was in high school that tended to push the limits of TV back in the early 70's. Sat night TV was fun to watch, with the Count, plastic spiders and bats flying around on fishing line....

Count Gore De Vol is a television horror host who originally appeared on Washington, DC's WDCA from 1973 to 1987.[1] Originally named M. T. Graves and played by announcer Dick Dyszel, the character first appeared on the WDCA version of the Bozo the Clown program. When the character got a positive reaction, he was given his own program called Creature Feature. The choice of Gore De Vol as the character's name was either a pun involving the name of acerbic author Gore Vidal or the name of a prominent Washington D.C. funeral home, "De Vol." Gore De Vol became the Washington/Baltimore area's longest running horror host, broadcast every Saturday night on WDCA from March 1973 to May 1987.[2] He returned to the DC airwaves for a one-time special, Countdown with the Count, on New Year's Eve 1999/2000.

Count Gore De Vol's contribution to the American horror host tradition is significant in a number of ways. As Washington D.C.'s horror host throughout most of the 1970s and 1980s, Gore used the platform to satirize national politics from a local perspective. In the era of Watergate and Iran-Contra, Count Gore took frequent shots at the political folly with an ad lib, shoot-from-the-hip style that led local audiences to feel they were part of an Inside the Beltway private joke even when the subject was high profile.

Count Gore's Creature Feature also embraced the sexual revolution of the 1970s, and his guests for the show included several Penthouse pets. Though he never had an official sidekick, he frequently employed the talents of writer and actress Eleanor Herman in the role of Countess von Stauffenberger. The two played off each other with a series of romantic near misses and sexual innuendos that made the show a success even when many horror hosts were losing their shows in the wake of the original Saturday Night Live.

Gore's iconoclastic style surfaced in a number of other ways. He was the first host in America to broadcast an unedited version of Night of the Living Dead. He also secretly began transmitting his own show in stereo a week before his station officially made the announcement, making Creature Feature Washington's first stereo broadcast.

After a five year hiatus from the air, Count Gore returned to WDCA 20 in 1984 and a second wave of popularity kept the show a local fixture until new owners canceled all local programing in 1987. During this time, Gore made numerous public appearances with live shows and Halloween events and received thousands of fan correspondences, making Count Gore one of the most popular figures in the history of D.C. media.

In 1998, Count Gore De Vol became the first horror host to present a weekly show on the Internet, featuring streaming video of movies and shorts hosted by The Count, and interviews with celebrities.[3] Other hosts from around the country also contribute to the program, providing reviews, contests, and other "strange and evil creations." There are also several regular features on the site, from movie and book reviews to monster model building and horror inspired music and video games.

Count Gore remains busy, as he approaches his 35th year. He is a regular convention guest at Balticon and the Horrorfind Weekend in Baltimore, Maryland and Cinema Wasteland in Cleveland, Ohio. In 2004 he wrote the introduction to the Steve Niles' graphic Novel Aleister Arcane. In 2006, 2007, and 2008, the Count made appearances in Northern Virginia on the new live television and Internet program Monster Madhouse Live, starring Karlos Borloff (aka Jerry Moore). In October 2006 and 2007 hosted the opening nights for the horror film fest The Spooky Movie Film Festival in Fairfax, Virginia. He is featured alongside fellow horror hosts in the documentary, American Scary (2006), which screened at the 2007 San Diego Comic Con. Count Gore has hosted the costume contests at Penacon, in Pensacola, FL 2014 and 2015.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Any of the classics that didn't rely on blood, gore, naked cheerleaders, etc. They knew how to build suspense artistically back in the day!

O.k, o.k, I was kidding about the naked cheerleaders, there's never a bad movie when there are naked cheerleaders!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Rick, do you also remember the Fright Night show on WDRB 41 around the same time, bald guy in pancake makeup with a flashlight under his chin as host? Usually a double feature IIRC.
    Them, Creature from Black Lagoon, and Tarantula are all faves here, along with Kenneth Tobey classics, The Beast from 20000 Fathoms and It Came from Beneath the Sea, ( giant octopus rips down a section of the Golden Gate Bridge)

images
    images

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Put me down as yet another extolling the virtues of John Carpenter's "The Thing," with Kurt Russell and Keith David.
    The effects even today are excellent, and it's a genuinely creepy movie.
    Put down another Carpenter movie classic, the original "Halloween" for real scares.
    I'd also add "The Evil Dead" to the list, with some really disturbing scenes, such as what happens to the girl running through the woods, and when the other girl gnaws off her own hand after becoming a Kandarian demon WOW.
    For all time scariest, I'll have to go with the best quality movie of the four, though: The Exorcist
    That one will really get into your head, and the part that creeps me out the most to this day is in the beginning when the demon, Pazuzu, is loose in the attic before he possesses the little girl.
    Brrrrrrrrrrr

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Put me down as yet another extolling the virtues of John Carpenter's "The Thing," with Kurt Russell and Keith David.
    The effects even today are excellent, and it's a genuinely creepy movie.
    Put down another Carpenter movie classic, the original "Halloween" for real scares.
    I'd also add "The Evil Dead" to the list, with some really disturbing scenes, such as what happens to the girl running through the woods, and when the other girl gnaws off her own hand after becoming a Kandarian demon WOW.
    For all time scariest, I'll have to go with the best quality movie of the four, though: The Exorcist
    That one will really get into your head, and the part that creeps me out the most to this day is in the beginning when the demon, Pazuzu, is loose in the attic before he possesses the little girl.
    Brrrrrrrrrrr

Kim Kandarian or Chloe Kandarian? Oh wait... ;)

Top Bottom