• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I think some of the Moras use Sandvik Steel.Buck is now offering a line using it,and it about the price of the 420hc.I think it holds a edge very well.Is it that Frost is a joint owner that they are keeping the price low?A lot of chefs knives are using SanEdge steel too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think some of the Moras use Sandvik Steel.Buck is now offering a line using it,and it about the price of the 420hc.I think it holds a edge very well.Is it that Frost is a joint owner that they are keeping the price low?A lot of chefs knives are using SanEdge steel too.

Sandvik 12C27. I didn't know Buck was using it, but it's a step up from 420HC!

In terms of composition, it's similar to 440A. 440A gets maligned because of it's less than optimal edge retention, but with a good heat treatment you can get a very thin, very sharp edge without a lot of work. In terms how "how sharp" you can get it, it's better than 440C in my opinion.

12C27 is very easy to sharpen to true razor-like edge.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I love my Mora's, and both of my boys have them. Given what I've seen a 10 year old do to one, they aren't made from super tough stuff, as the edge stability sucks on them. They take a really sharp edge easily, albeit losing it easily as well. But I can't think of another knife under $25 that is half the knife a Mora is, and I can think of a few quite a bit more than that that still aren't as good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love my Mora's, and both of my boys have them. Given what I've seen a 10 year old do to one, they aren't made from super tough stuff, as the edge stability sucks on them. They take a really sharp edge easily, albeit losing it easily as well. But I can't think of another knife under $25 that is half the knife a Mora is, and I can think of a few quite a bit more than that that still aren't as good.

Agreed!

If you're primarily push cutting wood, you can get away with polishing the bevels, which will extend the time it stays sharp enough to work well. The down side is if you have to cut cordage or other fibrous materials, it will reduce the slicing ability.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My buddy G-Man gave me a Mora 511 that he got at the recent Pathfinder School gathering in Ohio. I redid the neck lanyard I had on it, added a ferro rod, and added a shock cord loop for added retention. It already had a paracord wrap on the sheath. It's now my official glove box knife.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It's here. The knife is very nice for $20; the sheath...well, it covers the blade. Actually sheath is not too bad, thicker plastic or kydex than I thought it would be, but the belt loop attachment seems amazingly puny.

But zee knife, she eez a beauty. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's here. The knife is very nice for $20; the sheath...well, it covers the blade. Actually sheath is not too bad, thicker plastic or kydex than I thought it would be, but the belt loop attachment seems amazingly puny.

But zee knife, she eez a beauty. :)

I actually like the belt clips on the sheaths, but I get what you're saying. They work great hanging on a belt, a pocket, a strap, or a piece of paracord around your neck.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Oh, and since it is a Scandi grind, and the steel doesn't have tremendous wear resistance,it's a great knife to teach someone (like my 10 year old) to sharpen. Bevel angle is easy to find. With a bit of coaching, my boy can put a heck of an edge on his.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    [video=youtube;vq7dINwKwCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq7dINwKwCE[/video]

I think you just won the internet for today. An ebullient Swedish girl using a Mora and a ferro rod to ignite a fluffed-up tampon on the first try is full of victory.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I think you just won the internet for today. An ebullient Swedish girl using a Mora and a ferro rod to ignite a fluffed-up tampon on the first try is full of victory.

I had to look up ebullient. :D

I agree, good video. :yesway:

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That was an interesting video. I just hope the tampon-as-fire-starter-tinder doesn't become an internet craze like the put-tampons-in-your-trauma-kit-to-plug-bullet-holes craze did.

Anyway.

Have had a few days to tote around my new Mora. Still like it. Only other improvement needed besides the sheath is the handle is a little too fat and round for my taste. Think I will be customizing it a bit to fit my paws.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    She has lots of ebullient and personality.

I noticed that as well. We should invite her to go camping!

That was an interesting video. I just hope the tampon-as-fire-starter-tinder doesn't become an internet craze like the put-tampons-in-your-trauma-kit-to-plug-bullet-holes craze did.

Anyway.

Have had a few days to tote around my new Mora. Still like it. Only other improvement needed besides the sheath is the handle is a little too fat and round for my taste. Think I will be customizing it a bit to fit my paws.

Don't forget to share photos when you're done!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "Had" to bring a recent Amazon order up to $25 for the free shipping on one item. Adding a Mora knife to the cart did the trick nicely.

Out on the happy truck for delivery. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Had" to bring a recent Amazon order up to $25 for the free shipping on one item. Adding a Mora knife to the cart did the trick nicely.

Out on the happy truck for delivery. :)

See, that's just good thinkin'.

Did you get one for N & A too?

Tuesday I found my Classic 1 (thanks again obijohn!) and my model 840 clipper. The 840 is similar to the companion, but the blade is 1.8 mm thick instead of 2.0 mm. Not a prybar, but it can slice like nobody's Swedish business!

Top Bottom