• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    More helpful opinions. You guys aren't helping much because both camps are absolutely right. I am studying the "code cites"...... Be careful before I/we get banned. Keep certain references cryptic, I will understand.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Right or wrong, I have lived my life guided by three simple words:

Duty. Honor. Country.

Maybe it's ingrained by my military background, but those words have never failed me.

Maybe doesn't apply in your case :dunno:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'd say that you always follow your honor.Love is a feeling,honor is an action.You can act honorably and still love someone.

If my wife wanted to leave me,I could still love her yet do the honorable thing and let her go.People think that loving someone means keeping them happy and keeping them with you but sometimes those can't go hand in hand.The honourable thing in that case is to love her,no matter how much it hurts,but honor her by allowing her to go and be happy.

Later in down the road,if I see my son about to make a bad decision,I'll stop him because I love him,and honor him by helping him get on the right path.

Also,never let anyone make you think that honor equals pride ("Billy Jo insulted me,I'm gonna kill him to defend my honor") because honor means doing what's right and being a grown up about things,even if you have to eat crow.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Honor is a code and commitment you place upon yourself, love is something you bestow upon others.
    Honor is only lost to yourself and no one else as it is self imposed.
    Love is something you give or bestow upon others and can be taken away.
    You can always love someone and not like them or what they do.

I'm sorry to say, but you will find no definitive answers here among the wise souls of Ingo.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But yet "love", in its essence, may not be permissive of all transgressions. Sometimes "love" must be strict. Sometimes it must be tempered by honor. I love my son, and I can't force him to do right, to be honorable, but I sure won't hesitate telling him he's about to do something stupid. The thing is, I'll explain why it's stupid. It's love to tell him he's stupid; it's honor to explain why he's stupid. I just cracked me up, but seriously, I meant that.
    What?!?

One is greater than the other. The rest of it is superfluous.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd say that you always follow your honor.Love is a feeling,honor is an action.You can act honorably and still love someone.

If my wife wanted to leave me,I could still love her yet do the honorable thing and let her go.People think that loving someone means keeping them happy and keeping them with you but sometimes those can't go hand in hand.The honourable thing in that case is to love her,no matter how much it hurts,but honor her by allowing her to go and be happy.

Later in down the road,if I see my son about to make a bad decision,I'll stop him because I love him,and honor him by helping him get on the right path.

Also,never let anyone make you think that honor equals pride ("Billy Jo insulted me,I'm gonna kill him to defend my honor") because honor means doing what's right and being a grown up about things,even if you have to eat crow.

Honor is a code and commitment you place upon yourself, love is something you bestow upon others.

I'm sorry to say, but you will find no definitive answers here among the wise souls of Ingo.
    Love is an act.

Honor is about YOU. Love is about the other person.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What?!?

One is greater than the other. The rest of it is superfluous.

Just that going with "love" can lead you into all sorts of suboptimal results. "Love" is a purely emotional thing. Not saying it's bad, just that thinking can be thrown out the window (vocabulary lesson of the day: defenestration) and dumb things done. I stand by the idea that doing the right thing can in fact be the greatest expression of a love tempered by honor. Like I said, you can't love something without honor, and you can't honor something you don't love. I even made that up myself. I impress me sometimes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just that going with "love" can lead you into all sorts of suboptimal results. "Love" is a purely emotional thing. Not saying it's bad, just that thinking can be thrown out the window (vocabulary lesson of the day: defenestration) and dumb things done. I stand by the idea that doing the right thing can in fact be the greatest expression of a love tempered by honor. Like I said, you can't love something without honor, and you can't honor something you don't love. I even made that up myself. I impress me sometimes.

I don't believe honor has anything to do with it. Love is not an emotion or a feeling. It is an act.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

Love is an act.

Point of order..... I was instructed as I was getting married 35 years ago by Judge Charlotte, The meanest, toughest, battle-ax of a woman that I have ever met, that I was to "Love, Honor and cherish my wife" None of those things are about me, but about how I should treat my wife.

88GT, Realize that you are talking to an ignorant man. Please explain what you are saying so that a man can understand

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It depends. What kind of love? Affection? Passion? Love and honor aren't necessarily opposed. You can be a dirty son of a ***** with either depending on what kind of love you're talking about.

You can be a dirty sonofa***** for pursuing a passionate love while the honorable thing is to not pursue it. But that kind of honorable thing might be the more loving thing to do.

You can be a dirty sonofa***** for turning in a good friend or relative, while the loving thing may seem to be not to betray the person. And again, turning the person in might be the more loving thing to do.

In either case, whether you're talking about a passionate kind of love, or an affectionate kind of love, if it really is a love vs honor issue, you have to decide what you value most. What's the right thing to do vs. what do you WANT to do. Is that motivated by love or honor?

If you're a religious person, what does your religion say about it. And if you disobey your religion, how much does that bother you? If you're not religious, what does your sense of morality say about it? And how much does that matter to you? What does your conscience say?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The only way love is an act is if you're talking about bow-chicka-wow-wow.Love is an emotional feeling that can cause you to act.

Loving someone is a choice. There are feelings, sure, but lack of feelings shouldn't stop loving actions if you've made a commitment.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    So does suicide, but that doesn't mean it's recommended.

Through early morning fog I see
    Visions of the things to be
    The pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see...
    [REFRAIN]:
    That suicide is painless
    It brings on many changes
    And I can take or leave it if I please.
    I try to find a way to make
    All our little joys relate
    Without that ever-present hate
    But now I know that it's too late, and...
    [REFRAIN]
    The game of life is hard to play
    I'm gonna lose it anyway
    The losing card I'll someday lay
    So this is all I have to say.
    [REFRAIN]
    The only way to win is cheat
    And lay it down before I'm beat
    And to another give my seat
    For that's the only painless feat.
    [REFRAIN]
    The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...
    [REFRAIN]
    A brave man once requested me
    To answer questions that are key
    Is it to be or not to be
    And I replied 'oh why ask me?'
    [REFRAIN]
    'Cause suicide is painless
    It brings on many changes
    And I can take or leave it if I please.
    ...and you can do the same thing if you please.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

This ^ .

Understand honor for what it truly is , it is self serving and there is much vanity in honor .

Do not seek honor and prestige , do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit , but in humility consider others before yourselves .

Above all , love each other deeply , because love covers a multitude of sins and transgressions .

Love is patient , love is kind . It does not envy , it does not boast , it is not proud . It is not rude , it is not self-seeking , it is not easily angered , it keeps no record of wrongs .

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth . It always protects , always trusts , always hopes and perseveres .

Much more has been written about love than honor .

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i'm not you and not in your position. your choices are your own, not mine. you don't answer to me and do not have to justify a decision by me.

having said that, i choose love. if necessary, i would act less than honorably to provide for my family.

Top Bottom