• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I say honor. You can love a person, but if they commit a crime, and you are a LEO, then you ave to do the 'honorable' thing, and perform your job. Even if it means having to arrest a loved one.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Through early morning fog I see
    Visions of the things to be
    The pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see...

One of my favorite songs. I bet there are very few people that know where that song is played. Almost everyone has heard it.

On to the topic. I think it is better to be honorable, but it is completely different than love. It does not depend on the situation, but it does depend on how you are interpreting them in the situation. If a spouse/parent is drug addicted and they are wanting money for drugs, if you deny them money, it does not mean you do not honor or love them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    To help me with some serious personal decisions involving my family, I would like some feedback from the members of INGO. A reality check as it were.

What in your opinion is the higher moral value, love or honor? I am asking does one trump or take the first position over the other? In a circumstance where each requires certain actions, and those actions are each in conflict with the other, what should be the default position?

I already know what I think, but that apparently is making me a dirtysonofa*****. So I am looking to see if there is a overwhelming support of one over the other or not.

This question could run so many different directions it is impossible to give a definitive answer. There is a reason that some other languages have more than one word that we use 'love' to cover. Love of chocolate ice cream, love of family and friends, love of a lover are all different. Use of love when we really mean lust is another issue as well. Your question could be one of protecting someone on your friends and family list from earned consequences (i.e., do I or do I not report my daughter for the murder she committed). It could be a matter of asking whether love trumps doing what you know is right (i.e., the neighbor lady and I are madly in love with each other--do I sleep with her even though she is married to someone else?). Is it ignoring the textbook answer to what is the correct thing to do out of love/kindness (i.e., the neighbor told me to stay away from his kids and never to give them anything. Do I give them food anyway since they are obviously hungry to the point of it threatening their well-being?).

Your question is really similar to asking if the weather is going to be good tomorrow. It all depends. On any given day, a farmer may need rain, a potter may need it to be dry and hot, and someone who needs to do yard work may need it to be dry but not very hot, the man who is dependent on a windmill may need a lot of wind, and the guy who is going to work up in the air may need calm. Under those conditions, what you consider good weather could vary greatly in extreme opposite directions.

Andy Wayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Madison County
    Love

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. - 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. - 1 Corinthians 13:13

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. - Proverbs 10:12

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” - Mark 12:30-31

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. - Luke 6:32-33

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. - John 15:12-13

Honor

“Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you. - Deuteronomy 5:16

What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. - Psalm 8:4-5

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. - Psalm 62:7

It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel. - Proverbs 20:3

Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor. - Proverbs 21:21

It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to search out matters that are too deep. - Proverbs 25:27

As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. - Ecclesiastes 10:1

God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. - Romans 2:6-7

Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. - Romans 13:7

Top Bottom