More confusion re: last years rifle bill...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    But the new proposed rules add new pistol calibers to the mix.
    The .327 is not a rifle round, but will only be legal under the new proposal.

So which rules apply to that cartridge? Pistol caliber rules, or the new "high-power" rules?

Once again, the .327 would fall under the new high-power rules.
    Doesn't matter whether you or I think it's a fairly mild caliber; the fact remains that it didn't fit into the old handgun caliber rules, i.e. 1.16" minimum case length and minimum bore diameter of .357.
    Why do you persist in making something so simple into something so complicated?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Someone needs to just strap a bandoleer of 100 rounds around their torso and venture out during firearms season with two pistols and a rifle chambered in .327. Call the CO, report your location and ask to be checked for adherence to the law. Please take someone with you to video the encounter and post up the results. Then we won't have any more questions.

I'll chip in $5 to the defense fund.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Someone needs to just strap a bandoleer of 100 rounds around their torso and venture out during firearms season with two pistols and a rifle chambered in .327. Call the CO, report your location and ask to be checked for adherence to the law. Please take someone with you to video the encounter and post up the results. Then we won't have any more questions.

I'll chip in $5 to the defense fund.
    Don't forget to use the Unacceptable! line.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    this seems to only apply to private property correct ? when was the last time a CO was harassing a hunter on private property without the land owner calling for assistance ? Also how many rounds does a person really need in the woods while hunting on private property ? If the deer are running that wild there must be something wrong . Stop shooting after 4 or 5 kills and start dressing the animals . I'm sure most hunters aren't more than a 15 to 20 minute walk back to the truck .

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I see where you guys are coming from. I will be shooting a HP rifle this year and carrying a .38 special revolver.

I am tempted to tell the guys to just live with the regs as written, but I also understand that people may be concerned with it.

I guess I don't have a dog in the fight, but I hate it when a guy uses that as an argument. Anyway, clarification is needed.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    My friends and I get checked every year on the private property that we hunt. When we come out for lunch, there he is. It just reminds us to make sure we have our licenses tagged and a transportation tag all filled out when we start to drag any deer out. Zip Ties, a very small note pad, & 2 pens are included in all my packs. 2 pens as one time, only had one and it did not work. Actually used the blood from the deer to write a tag before we dragged the deer out.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My friends and I get checked every year on the private property that we hunt. When we come out for lunch, there he is. It just reminds us to make sure we have our licenses tagged and a transportation tag all filled out when we start to drag any deer out. Zip Ties, a very small note pad, & 2 pens are included in all my packs. 2 pens as one time, only had one and it did not work. Actually used the blood from the deer to write a tag before we dragged the deer out.

And the truth is, if he wanted, the CO could venture out into the filed, and check on you in your stands, even on private property, and he doesn`t need permission from anyone.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I asked again and the CO says this...

If an individual is hunting deer with a rifle during the deer firearms season, the individual must abide by the statute listed below. The issue is that when the legislation came out last year, everyone focused on the calibers and seemed to ignore the other 4 requirements stated under subsection b.

IC 14-22-2-8 Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report
    Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300.
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.
    (4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (5) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15,
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.

This has nothing to do with so called PCRs so carry as many .44 mags, .;357s, etc that you want to.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Willie, correct me if I am wrong, but the statute that you address is the current one. The revised (proposed) statute will cover all cartridges on private land .243 or larger with a case length of 1.16" or longer.

Your quoted wording will no longer apply and will cover pistol caliber rifles.

This has nothing to do with so called PCRs so carry as many .44 mags, .;357s, etc that you want to.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Willie, correct me if I am wrong, but the statute that you address is the current one. The revised (proposed) statute will cover all cartridges on private land .243 or larger with a case length of 1.16" or longer.

Your quoted wording will no longer apply and will cover pistol caliber rifles.

My understanding is that if you're using one of the cartridges that were allowed before this test, nothing has changed. If you are using a cartridge that was not legal to use before the test period, the new regs apply.

This is from the IDNR Website:
    All the cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on public and private land and meet the following requirements: cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches. No full metal-jacketed bullets are allowed.

While the amount of cartridges allowed on a person are specified in the new regulation, nothing is stated as changed in the existing changes. I would read that as no limit.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My understanding is that if you're using one of the cartridges that were allowed before this test, nothing has changed. If you are using a cartridge that was not legal to use before the test period, the new regs apply.

This is from the IDNR Website: the cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on public and private land and meet the following requirements: cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches. No full metal-jacketed bullets are allowed.

While the amount of cartridges allowed on a person are specified in the new regulation, nothing is stated as changed in the existing changes. I would read thathttp://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm

Thats how I see it too,. The "new" hprs will fall under the last years inclusion regulations.. Last year it was just the new rifles having a limit. I see that nothing has changed that..

BUT- to be on the safe side why chance it? Carry your 10 rifle cartridges and if you want to pack a hand gun carry something that requires a different cartridge.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thats how I see it too,. The "new" hprs will fall under the last years inclusion regulations.. Last year it was just the new rifles having a limit. I see that nothing has changed that..

BUT- to be on the safe side why chance it? Carry your 10 rifle cartridges and if you want to pack a hand gun carry something that requires a different cartridge.

So, you're suggesting I don't carry my .338 Lapua Magnum AR-15 and my .338 Lapua Magnum Automag pistol with full magazines??? What is this? The USSR???

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    So, you're suggesting I don't carry my .338 Lapua Magnum AR-15 and my .338 Lapua Magnum Automag pistol with full magazines??? What is this? The USSR???
    \

Carry whatever you want. You want to hunt legally, play by the rules...

(EDIT) - Sorry, I just saw the faint purple words...

Maybe we should bold the purple too? ;)

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    My question is how are they to decide if you are actively hunting deer, I carry a standard capacity 300blk. AR15 with me at all times while out on property, whats stopping a CO from coming onto private property and harassing me during deer season while I'm actively hunting coyote? Am I now guilty until proven innocent? Is simply not having tags enough to prove I'm not hunting deer?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My question is how are they to decide if you are actively hunting deer, I carry a standard capacity 300blk. AR15 with me at all times while out on property, whats stopping a CO from coming onto private property and harassing me during deer season while I'm actively hunting coyote? Am I now guilty until proven innocent? Is simply not having tags enough to prove I'm not hunting deer?

It will be at the CO`s discretion as to what he sees, how you`re hunkered down, what type gear you have, how and where you`re set up. If you`re coyote hunting, you likely won`t be in a tree stand, you`ll likely have rodent distress calls, maybe even the electronic caller. You will not have a deer drag, doe-in-heat scent, etc. It really won`t look much the same, coyote hunting vs deer hunting.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Really, stop overthinking this whole thing.
    If the CO sees you obviously stalking deer, shooting at deer, or otherwise doing something outside the regulations, you can expect trouble.
    If you're hunting other quarry or hunting deer in season with proscribed armament, breathe easy.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Really, stop overthinking this whole thing.
    If the CO sees you obviously stalking deer, shooting at deer, or otherwise doing something outside the regulations, you can expect trouble.
    If you're hunting other quarry or hunting deer in season with proscribed armament, breathe easy.
    ^^^^
    THIS

Sure is a bunch of "what ifs" being thrown around...,

Top Bottom