More confusion re: last years rifle bill...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    NOTHING! I had a CO come onto my private property and ticket me for hunting over bait. I was in a stand with my coyote gear. There was no bait for deer, it had been properly removed in the legal manner and time frame. It was opening weekend for deer. He ticketed me anyway. Told me I wasnt allowed to sit with a rifle in .243 on my property on opening weekend in a "deer stand" . I choose not to fight it as for fear of being harrassed more. I bought the property and a neighbor is unhappy he cannot hunt it anylonger. I have been told he called dnr and told them i was hunting with bait, you could clearly see a feeder we had hanging from a tree some distance away. They , the CO have an almost inmeasurable reach and power. The abilty to walk and stalk around on your property as they feel with no notice or probable cause. Its ridiculous.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The local CO in Madison county did come up to me second day of rifle season last year. Even with a 44 mag rifle still (no reason for anything bigger if you can't see more than 100 yards) he checked the rounds in the firearm. 8 rounds. So they check (or he did a young guy) and I asked him what if I had my smith model 29 with me also. All he said was "that is a good question?" . "Do you have your LTC?" Yes I said. "I would not citation it with LTC." So maybe without a LTC he would have written a citation. He also asked if I had any other ammo. I said of course in the trunk of the car with the model 29.

The neat thing about a level pistol cartridge rifle handgun combo is interchangeable ammo. In the past have often carried both the model 29 and the marlin 1894 in the field together. A small doe close range is a pistol shot and any buck worth taking is worth a rifle shot. So maybe just To be safe from now on the 1894 44 mag and the smith 586. Or the marlin 1894c and the smith model 29.

Better yet this year the marlin 336sc 35 R.E.M. And the model 29.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I had a CO come onto my private property and ticket me for hunting over bait. I was in a stand with my coyote gear. There was no bait for deer, it had been properly removed in the legal manner and time frame. It was opening weekend for deer. He ticketed me anyway. Told me I wasnt allowed to sit with a rifle in .243 on my property on opening weekend in a "deer stand" . I choose not to fight it as for fear of being harrassed more. I bought the property and a neighbor is unhappy he cannot hunt it anylonger. I have been told he called dnr and told them i was hunting with bait, you could clearly see a feeder we had hanging from a tree some distance away. They , the CO have an almost inmeasurable reach and power. The abilty to walk and stalk around on your property as they feel with no notice or probable cause. Its ridiculous.

A road over neighbor of mine had a similar experience. Unhappy neighbor making fictitious calls, aggressive young new CO, liberal local judge siding with "the law."

After the CO confiscated the gent's shotgun that he legally, in season, "poached" the deer with, it was explained he was getting off easy. The CO told him he could have confiscated his pickup also. A pickup that the "poached" deer had not been transported in.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    NOTHING! I had a CO come onto my private property and ticket me for hunting over bait. I was in a stand with my coyote gear. There was no bait for deer, it had been properly removed in the legal manner and time frame. It was opening weekend for deer. He ticketed me anyway. Told me I wasnt allowed to sit with a rifle in .243 on my property on opening weekend in a "deer stand" . I choose not to fight it as for fear of being harrassed more. I bought the property and a neighbor is unhappy he cannot hunt it anylonger. I have been told he called dnr and told them i was hunting with bait, you could clearly see a feeder we had hanging from a tree some distance away. They , the CO have an almost inmeasurable reach and power. The abilty to walk and stalk around on your property as they feel with no notice or probable cause. Its ridiculous.

I`ve never known of anyone to sit in a tree stand to hunt coyotes. I see why the CO saw your story as somewhat dubious. And yes, Conservation Officers have a long reach, and nearly unlimited power to enforce Indiana game laws. I don`t know that I always agree with that reach, but, there are an awful lot of low-lifes who take great pleasure in, and are very good at poaching fish and game. I play by the rules, and believe everyone should. I guess I feel our CO`s more often than not, are doing the right things the right way.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    sounds like there is more to this story than what you are telling. Nobody is going to pay a sizable fine and have there name in the paper without a fight.

Top Bottom