• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Came across this news story with disturbing quotes from the Canton City Council President, Allen Schulman (D)
    Driver Says Right Were Violated By Canton Police Officer - WJW

Schulman appears to blame the victim for Officer Harless's psychotic behavior: (excerpt from story)

Schulman told Fox 8, "We've received hundreds of e-mails, all from out of town, not only out of town but out of state, Texas, Arizona, places that seem to love people carrying concealed weapons."

Schulman said the case illustrates the inherent dangers of Ohio's concealed weapon law, which he calls, "crazy".

"I believe in people's right to bear arms, but I believe in rational, reasonable gun laws, and these concealed weapons are going to create a lot of problems", said Schulman. "And my biggest concern is, it's going to end up killing people."

As best I can see, the only "crazy" thing in the incident was Officer Harless, and the only one who would have ended up being killed or "executed" to use Officer Harless's words was William Bartlett, the legally-armed resident assaulted by Officer Harless.

Here is councilman Schulman's website with e-mail.
    Allen Schulman :: City Council :: cantonohio.gov

Please be courteous and professional, if you choose to write to him.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Came across this news story with disturbing quotes from the Canton City Council President, Allen Schulman (D)
    Driver Says Right Were Violated By Canton Police Officer - WJW

Schulman appears to blame the victim for Officer Harless's psychotic behavior: (excerpt from story)

Schulman told Fox 8, "We've received hundreds of e-mails, all from out of town, not only out of town but out of state, Texas, Arizona, places that seem to love people carrying concealed weapons."

Schulman said the case illustrates the inherent dangers of Ohio's concealed weapon law, which he calls, "crazy".

"I believe in people's right to bear arms, but I believe in rational, reasonable gun laws, and these concealed weapons are going to create a lot of problems", said Schulman. "And my biggest concern is, it's going to end up killing people."

As best I can see, the only "crazy" thing in the incident was Officer Harless, and the only one who would have ended up being killed or "executed" to use Officer Harless's words was William Bartlett, the legally-armed resident assaulted by Officer Harless.

Here is councilman Schulman's website with e-mail.
    Allen Schulman :: City Council :: cantonohio.gov

Please be courteous and professional, if you choose to write to him.

^^ Well said..... Thanks for the follow up on this, interesting to see other people's reactions when you call out their reasoning for the irrational behavior that it is.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How can you "believe in people's right to bear arms" but insist that "these concealed weapons are going to create a lot of problems"? Which one are you lying about, Mr. Schulman? I'm guessing the first.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    There is a radio broadcast with him saying there is no reason to carry a gun at 130am in a crime ridden neighborhood, thats how people get killed :n00b:

Hickman posted the interview on FB last night, I will try and get it.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    How can you "believe in people's right to bear arms" but insist that "these concealed weapons are going to create a lot of problems"? Which one are you lying about, Mr. Schulman? I'm guessing the first.
    Yes sir, is that not hypocrisy further redefined?
    How can anyone with a sound mine and conscious make such a statement, all the while ignoring the actions of the particular officer in question.
    Lawfully armed citizen's (read non LEO's) are not the source of the problem at hand.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

I'm speechless. The fool is totally out of touch with reality. Must be campaigning for Helmke's position at the Brady Bunch!

I suspected Officer Harless's behavior was neither isolated nor an anomaly, and Shulman's outrageous rant lends credence to the idea Harless's antics were tacitly condoned, if not actively encouraged by the city "fathers."

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I was so mad when I listened to the interview last night, that I couldn't even finish my post here on INGO. Those statements are such a monumental fail, that it doesn't even deserve a reply.

:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    This man is an idiot! does he not realize that a good portion of the country can carry concealed, and don't have this particular incident occurring at all? I'm sorry, but I for one would only feel protected at 1:30 in the morning on one of those streets if I had a handgun!

How can he not understand that the "incident" doesn't have a damn thing to do with CC/OC/2A... it has to do with an unstable LEO!

:xmad::xmad:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My question to his radio rant would be "Where do you suggest we carry if not in the high crime areas?" The supreme court already ruled that the police do not have an obligation to keep us safe, so it is left to us to ensure our own safety. If I was in a bad neighborhood at 1:30 am, you better believe that I would be armed. He makes it sound as though we should only carry guns in the "safe" areas during normal business hours. What a fool.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I'm glad he is so frustrated by all of the out of towners that have given their opinion on the subject. I just hope that after his radio annoucement goes viral that he gets that much more grief. LOL

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What's amazing to me is that the officer acted and spoke the way he did during the stop, knowing he was being both audio and video recorded by the dash cam. Can you imagine how he treats people when he is not being actively recorded? He clearly did not care that the dash cam was recording his behavior and felt that he could act without any regard for being held accountable for his behavior.

Top Bottom