• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Thanks, it took me a while to get them all, every time I'd put the rifle down or remove another piece, I'd see another mark that I hadn't seen prior to that. My camera's ok, not the best, but it is usually pretty good at close-ups / macros. I'm now in the process of cataloging all the marks and will be adding the info to the album as I find out what they are. It's been a fun evening project. Still not sure why I couldn't do the photo's, but perhaps I hit the limit per thread or something b/c I know I got it to work before and I even went to the faq on the forum page. Oh well!

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Thanks

@Doug Thanks for the info, no, no one has mentioned that one too me

@John, looked around online, does seem to be the recommended one if you want the "final authority", thanks

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    well, first cleaning down

Ok, well, I cleaned it for the first time today in preparation for going shooting Friday (YAY!!!!). It was a royal pain... mostly because I'm new at this I'm sure. I don't have the brush that goes with the orig kit. Bought a cheap universal kit at Wallyworld and now realizing my fears of buying cheap. It turned out to be a decent kit, but pretty flimsy. What's worse, it doesn't interchange with the longer cleaning rod I purchased separately. So, long story short, I had a MESS on my hands... literally! I wanted to do down from the breach, but the poles weren't long enough. But, unfortunately, being a novice, I didn't check the length before pouring cleaner down from the breech. Longer story short-er... I ended up having to disassemble it to protect the wood. After all is said and done, I hope I did everything correctly.
    :dunno:

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    forgot the rest

Oh, left the rest off by accident. This is the first time I've cleaned it and the first time I've cleaned a gun since being a kid... and let's be honest... that doesn't mean much. So, essentially the first time. A good friend showed me how the other day, so at least I got the procedure. I started with a barrel brush with cleaner, then ran patches down til they came out fairly clean, then ran a patch down the barrel with 4 drops oil. Finished by wiping outside of all metal (and trying to get inside the receiver) with Remington Oil Wipes. From what I understand, this is the best way to clean. Please provide feedback if you have any. I used hoppes 9 when I poured, hopes elite after with swabs, then hoppes elite oil. This was not a cleaning after corrosive, fyi.

Main question… give the way I cleaned above, is this sufficient for cleaning after corrosive, or will this not deal with the salts adequately? I know a few have already chimed in on cleaning, but just wanted to ask specifically this time as I plan on going to the range on Friday (a wonderful birthday gift!)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Some bottles of Hoppes say it will work on corrosive primer salts, others don't. I can't say if there is a difference in the formula or not between the two labels. I do know they changed the formula some years ago to remove the benzene from the recipe. I've heard more than one person say that any of it will work, but personally I don't know if any of it will work. As humid as it gets down here in the Ohio Valley, I would rather not take any chances so I use hot soapy water even though I use Hoppes for my general purpose cleaner.
    Its not like your barrel is going to rust instantly after shooting corrosively primed ammo, its just easier to get everything out when your barrel is warm, plus it done and you don't need to mess with it later.

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Cataloged

Ok, just letting anyone interested that I have gotten all the markings I can find cataloged and put what I do know in the "caption" section for each picture. I also added one or two pictures. As always, any help is appreciated and I will of course continue my efforts :draw: Thanks to those that have already helped too, you rock:rockwoot:

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    unrelated

Oh, and cool, unrelated fun... I was able to go to the range for my birthday. Shot Mosin, AK-47, AK-74, and Remington 700 30-06. Even got my wife to shoot the Rem 700. She didn't even hit paper, but it was at 100 yards and she had only JUST shot a gun for the first time ever about an hour before that... pretty sweet! (unfortunately, I didn't have access to the big gun this time, but man do I have an awesome friend for letting me borrow his toys!)

Top Bottom