• ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is your friend! Just don't get it on the wood, because it will strip the finish off that too.
    +1 on the brake cleaner to get the cosmoline out of the bore and bolt. That’s what I resorted to when patches weren’t working. After the cosmoline is out, I like to use Boretech cleaner for the powder and copper fouling. I just made the switch a couple years ago and I like it better than Hoppes #9.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    You make it sound like you only bought one ? Is that really a possibility ......;)
    I bought a nice matching one maybe 7 years ago from a LGS, and I inherited one that had been sported up 3 or so years ago. I bought an unopened spam can of ammo and had some loose assorted stuff.
    Sold out everything about 2 years ago when the prices were peaking and bought a few ARs in 6.5 g and 762x39.

Don't really regret it, but the Mosin was such a fun rifle.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I bought a nice matching one maybe 7 years ago from a LGS, and I inherited one that had been sported up 3 or so years ago. I bought an unopened spam can of ammo and had some loose assorted stuff.
    Sold out everything about 2 years ago when the prices were peaking and bought a few ARs in 6.5 g and 762x39.

Don't really regret it, but the Mosin was such a fun rifle.
    I can relate … definitely a fun gun . If you got in early enough when they were cheap , even funner !
    I bought a Remington Mosin ( never knew they made them ? ) on here . It had been sporterized also , but nicely done .
    It makes some a little sick that it had been modified . It`s still a nice piece that is in great shape and has a very smooth action . 1917 .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can relate … definitely a fun gun . If you got in early enough when they were cheap , even funner !
    I bought a Remington Mosin ( never knew they made them ? ) on here . It had been sporterized also , but nicely done .
    It makes some a little sick that it had been modified . It`s still a nice piece that is in great shape and has a very smooth action . 1917 .
    A Remington Mosin would be cool to have. Remington also made some Berthiers. I have one that is also sporterized but like you said, nicely done.

1645992200325.jpeg 1645992298182.jpeg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't say cheap...I bought the matching for $275. Sold it for I think $350. Probably could buy one of the same quality for $450 or more. I really wanted an optic, and for what it would cost to do it right just decided to get a nicer rifle.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    A Remington Mosin would be cool to have. Remington also made some Berthiers. I have one that is also sporterized but like you said, nicely done.

View attachment 184565 View attachment 184566
    That looks pretty nice ..........I know the "Untouched " ones are pretty pricey .

Here is my Remington Mosin......very clean . Most of the Remingtons never left the country . That`s why most were pretty pristine .
    As you probably are aware ......Some were re-barreled into 30-06 , Bannerman conversion .

I am a fan of this one , it really shoots nice and pretty tight groups ( I don`t really record ) but have always shot 203gr SP out of it thus far .
    I think it has been in the hands of a couple INGO folks before me that were quite saddened by the conversion . I think I remember that the front site was from a 1903 Springfield .

IMG_9042.JPG IMG_9043.JPG

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I wouldn't say cheap...I bought the matching for $275. Sold it for I think $350. Probably could buy one of the same quality for $450 or more. I really wanted an optic, and for what it would cost to do it right just decided to get a nicer rifle.
    I got in pretty early I suppose ..........Remember "paying up " to $169 for the good ones ( Hex Receivers )
    Same as most of my SKS`s . Started out at $69 for the 1st one I ever purchased .

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That looks pretty nice ..........I know the "Untouched " ones are pretty pricey .

Here is my Remington Mosin......very clean . Most of the Remingtons never left the country . That`s why most were pretty pristine .
    As you probably are aware ......Some were re-barreled into 30-06 , Bannerman conversion .

I am a fan of this one , it really shoots nice and pretty tight groups ( I don`t really record ) but have always shot 203gr SP out of it thus far .
    I think it has been in the hands of a couple INGO folks before me that were quite saddened by the conversion . I think I remember that the front site was from a 1903 Springfield .

View attachment 184593 View attachment 184594
    That's a beauty! I have grown to love the old sporters that were done right. Not just Bubba with a hacksaw. :thumbsup:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Damn take off a couple of weeks to visit the Keys and miss all the fun. Anyone that doubts the effectiveness of the Mosin in combat just needs to look at all the Russian Snipers in WW2 with 300 plus kills.

As for their accuracy, compared to other countries WW2 sniper rifles the Russian PU was probably the top dog when you consider, as a complete package, the simplicity & ruggedness of its scope, its weight, its accuracy with the benefit of being able to swap out its scope and re-zeroed it very short order without the need for a field armorer.

Far superior to the No4Mk1 T, (heavy and Mk1 & 2 scopes required 3 hands to zero), the 03A4 (great rifle hindered with an underpowered scope and small field of view) or the German SSR, LSR, & HT (scopes lacked windage adjustment).

Probably the only rifle that compares to the PU in ruggedness and simplicity are the Japanese Type 97 & 99 but they didn't allow for easy field scope replacement.

20210109_155815_resized (2).jpg

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Damn take off a couple of weeks to visit the Keys and miss all the fun. Anyone that doubts the effectiveness of the Mosin in combat just needs to look at all the Russian Snipers in WW2 with 300 plus kills.

As for their accuracy, compared to other countries WW2 sniper rifles the Russian PU was probably the top dog when you consider, as a complete package, the simplicity & ruggedness of its scope, its weight, its accuracy with the benefit of being able to swap out its scope and re-zeroed it very short order without the need for a field armorer.

Far superior to the No4Mk1 T, (heavy and Mk1 & 2 scopes required 3 hands to zero), the 03A4 (great rifle hindered with an underpowered scope and small field of view) or the German SSR, LSR, & HT (scopes lacked windage adjustment).

Probably the only rifle that compares to the PU in ruggedness and simplicity are the Japanese Type 97 & 99 but they didn't allow for easy field scope replacement.

View attachment 184633
    Ingo needs to change the" like " option ......... You can`t "Like " Love " and "Wow" at the same time .........
    Awesome collection !

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    Mosins are definitely solid and reliable rifles. In fact, my most accurate surplus rifle is a 1941 Izhevsk 91/30 captured by the Finns. It looks like it's been through a war, but I can hit a quarter with it at 50 yards using iron sights. At that distance I can only see the glint of the coin! If you want an accurate one, get a Finnish Mosin. They cost a bit more, but definitely worth the price!

Attachments

• 41iz-1.jpg
      41iz-1.jpg
      408.1 KB · Views: 3
    • 41iz-2.jpg
      41iz-2.jpg
      126.6 KB · Views: 3
    • 41iz-3.jpg
      41iz-3.jpg
      251.1 KB · Views: 3

guardman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I won’t trash talk them, they shoot. Most of them shoot more accurately than most people who trash talk them. If it’s all you can afford, it would put food on the table and it’d be faster than dialing 911. Nowadays there are better options for the money but they’re cool pieces of history

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Mosins are definitely solid and reliable rifles. In fact, my most accurate surplus rifle is a 1941 Izhevsk 91/30 captured by the Finns. It looks like it's been through a war, but I can hit a quarter with it at 50 yards using iron sights. At that distance I can only see the glint of the coin! If you want an accurate one, get a Finnish Mosin. They cost a bit more, but definitely worth the price!
    Nice! The Finns didn't worry too much about esthetics when they put them into storage, as long as they were functional. My favorite shooter M39 is rough looking, too. Little bluing, beat up and nailed together stock but damn does it shoot! Oh, and it came with a friend that can't be seen.

Top Bottom