• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Woo, the next time I'm up to WW I'll give you a PM and you can come out and shoot a couple of mine. (Heck I'll even let you shoot up some of my ammo.) But I warn you, when you're doing shooting my Mosins, you'll have to give them back and go get your own. I'll either be up this weekend or in the next few weeks in January.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First time at WW I brought my Mosin Nagant for the first time out, too.

At 50 yards it is not really a challange for the 91/30 I have - don't get me wrong, it was great fun. I was especially glad that it operated properly and hit the target with every brutal shot.

The first thing that I learned was that recoil cushioning butt pads are my friend. While not able to find one snug enough for the stock, adding material (rubber inner tubes from old bike tire) help a bit.

I love it, I love it. I will buy another to mod when the right deal comes around.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I'm bringing mine to Kingsbury range tomorrow (Tues). If any Ingo folk are there and want to try it, just come ask! Listen for the thunder...

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I you're shootin an m44 or similar one also a fire hazard in dry grass...he he!!

Like this.:D
    P10301001s.jpg

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    woo, let me know if you want to give one a try one out. There are a few in the group of people i shoot with.

Woo, the next time I'm up to WW I'll give you a PM and you can come out and shoot a couple of mine. (Heck I'll even let you shoot up some of my ammo.) But I warn you, when you're doing shooting my Mosins, you'll have to give them back and go get your own. I'll either be up this weekend or in the next few weeks in January.

Thanks guys!

Archbishop- I am blaming you for all of this!:D Our convo on saturday is making me just wanna go buy one!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I just bought my 2nd mosin. :D

This one is going to be my "hunting rifle" project. I've already got a 30-06 and 30-30, but I want to see how cheaply I can make a hunting rifle out of a mosin.

BTW, I hunt in Kentucky so it's all legal :)

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Wow. I need to get myself out to that store with about 5K in cash.:ar15:

I picked one up over at midwest myself mine appears to be either unissued or arsenal refurbished, plus like Dennis said they have several pallets of them and they did'nt have aproblem with me pawing through them to pick the one I wanted.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Should I just drink the Kool-aid and have one stashed in every room in my house?

Nyet, Comrade! Should have TWO in every room. Never know when Germans may return!

IMO, they're a lotta fun, cheap to shoot, and I wonder about the history behind mine (both with 1943 receiver stamps). But I'm a sucker for military history. Plenty of folks have turned theirs into a project. I've seen some sporterized with synthetic stocks and modern scopes, even a bullpup (earlier thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/66399-mosin-nagant_bullpup_no_poop.html ).

Careful if you get one, they multiply!

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    To learn all things Mosin, search,
    russian-mosin-nagant.com
    All milsurp ammo will be corrosive, I like windex to break up the salts, then clean as you would any rifle. Before shooting, clean the rifle of cosmoline. The site mentioned above will go through all of this. The best milsurp ammo, most consistent and uniform I've found, is Czech silvertip. Check your ammo before shooting, found about ten in a 440 can of Albanian that were seated about .5" too deep in the case. Never had a problem with the Czech, though. Also, look for as many matching serial numbers as you can find. I would definitely want matching receiver and bolt.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Here's my 91/30 with an ATI stock and scope mount. Totally changes the rifles look. It is a pain shoving ammo in the box mag under the scope mount. I really would not recommend the ATI scope mount and down swept bolt kit. It's pretty chincy... I TIG welded the handle to the bolt. I did not trust the bolt that held it on. Other than that it's a blast to shoot.

Did anyone mention they double as flame throwers! :):

Also do you wonder if the Mosins will go up in value like the SKS rifles did? It was not that long ago you could buy a SKS and 1000rds of 7.62x39 for $100. Well maybe it was awhile back I am getting old!

039.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Here's my 91/30 with an ATI stock and scope mount. Totally changes the rifles look. It is a pain shoving ammo in the box mag under the scope mount. I really would not recommend the ATI scope mount and down swept bolt kit. It's pretty chincy... I TIG welded the handle to the bolt. I did not trust the bolt that held it on. Other than that it's a blast to shoot.

Did anyone mention they double as flame throwers! :):

Also do you wonder if the Mosins will go up in value like the SKS rifles did? It was not that long ago you could buy a SKS and 1000rds of 7.62x39 for $100. Well maybe it was awhile back I am getting old!

039.jpg

I am curious. I have been looking at turning my mosin into a hunting rifle like yours. i don't like the "over the bolt setup" because it appears to interfere with loading and bolt action. What are your thoughts on a more traditional "offset" mount? I am going to buy an ATI stock like yours.

Thumper317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Greenfield
    I own a mosin M44 and love it. it is a cheap and fun to shoot rifle. I do agree with 88E30M50 there is a little kick on the M44 because it is a little shorter than the 91/30, an all around fun gun to shoot.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    I am curious. I have been looking at turning my mosin into a hunting rifle like yours. i don't like the "over the bolt setup" because it appears to interfere with loading and bolt action. What are your thoughts on a more traditional "offset" mount? I am going to buy an ATI stock like yours.

It does interfere with loading! :xmad: I pretty much shoot it as a single shot. I would not do it again. I really can not comment on the other scope set ups and their compatability with the ATI stock...Sorry? Maybe some one else will help you out.:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    It does interfere with loading! :xmad: I pretty much shoot it as a single shot. I would not do it again. I really can not comment on the other scope set ups and their compatability with the ATI stock...Sorry? Maybe some one else will help you out.:)

Ahh well I guess I'll have to wait and see if anyone offers anything else.

I was looking at a ROMAK III/PSL as a replacement or substitute to cure my scope woes:D

Top Bottom