• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had an M44 and put it in one of the ramline composite stocks. I free floated the barrel and put the mojo rear sight on it and I never got mine shooting like some of what you all are talking about. I sold it to another INGO member.

Should I have bought the 91/30 for better accuracy?
    What ammo are you guys using who are shooting long range?
    What gunsmithing work was done to get the rifle shooting well?

This topic has me thinking about giving another one a try.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    yea the mosin caused all the russians to die, not the german's :rolleyes:
    the russian casualty rate was high because there army sucked, there generals sucked, there supplys sucked, there leaders sucked, there tactics sucked, and if the germans didnt kill there peasant soldiers there own officers shot them.

i dont see how a rifle the mosin caused the russians to lose 11 million, i thought the germans did.

To add to that train of thought, before the war, Stalin had deliberately purged all the military leadership that had been well trained and knew what they were doing. There were actually several very quiet joint training operations held between the Soviets and the Germans. As I recall all of the German trained officers were killed. Anyone who was even remotely perceived as a threat was killed.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    Anyone who was even remotely perceived as a threat was killed.

I had a class at BSU about Soviet History and one of the films we watched was entitled "Burnt By the Sun." In it, Stalin had called for one of his highest officers to be killed. Although the class was boring most of the time (could not hardly understand the Russian prof, except for when he was talking about Vodka, Levi's, Rock and Roll, and AK's :)), the movies we watched were not all that bad. The prof was even a Corporal in the Russian Army during the Chernobyl catastrophe, so he had some good stories to tell.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They multiply if left alone in the safe together. This is an old picture and I have added to this collection since. My concentration is Mosins. Lots of history in those rifles.
    16Mosins1.jpg

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    They multiply if left alone in the safe together. This is an old picture and I have added to this collection since. My concentration is Mosins. Lots of history in those rifles.
    16Mosins1.jpg

Got a stupid question for ya......what are the mid sized ones called?? are those the M44's?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Got a stupid question for ya......what are the mid sized ones called?? are those the M44's?
    16Mosins1.jpg

Not dumb at all.
    1 and 2 are M38's
    3 thru 7 are M44's
    8, 9,and 10 are Finnish M39's
    11 is a 91/30 from the Spanish civil War
    12 and 13 are 91/30 snipers minus the scopes
    14, 15, and 16 are M91's, the last one is labeled "Instructie" (It labeled as such for secondary line of defense in case of invasion)

I have since added a 91/30 sniper still with its original scope and mount intact as well as a M44 that has had it's folding bayonet removed (probable Vietnam bringback), actually several of the M44's are likely bringbacks. I also have a Romanian M91 labeled "Exercitiu" which meant it is a designated training rifle

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    16Mosins1.jpg

Not dumb at all.
    1 and 2 are M38's
    3 thru 7 are M44's
    8, 9,and 10 are Finnish M39's
    11 is a 91/30 from the Spanish civil War
    12 and 13 are 91/30 snipers minus the scopes
    14, 15, and 16 are M91's, the last one is labeled "Instructie" (It labeled as such for secondary line of defense in case of invasion)

I have since added a 91/30 sniper still with its original scope and mount intact as well as a M44 that has had it's folding bayonet removed (probable Vietnam bringback), actually several of the M44's are likely bringbacks. I also have a Romanian M91 labeled "Exercitiu" which meant it is a designated training rifle

umm share the wealth :D id like 1 m44 and 1 m39 please

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    So how hard would it be to get ahold of a Finnish M39?? IMO I think those are about the perfect size. I mean....are they more expensive and less made? Because I never hear about them:dunno:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I got to shoot my m91/30 yesterday and only put 20 rounds through it but was instantly hooked. It did shoot high and to the right about 4 inches each way, but that won't matter after I put a scope on it. I do have a question: What kind of distance with reasonable accuracy are people getting with the military surplus 7.62x54R ammo?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    16Mosins1.jpg
    we're not worthy, we're not worthy!!! wow that is a REALLY neat collection!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So how hard would it be to get ahold of a Finnish M39?? IMO I think those are about the perfect size. I mean....are they more expensive and less made? Because I never hear about them:dunno:
    Not hard at all, I have a C&R FFL so I got mine from a wholesaler about 9yrs ago. go to gunbroker.com and there are many to choose from. Looks like a vanilla M39 is 250-350. The imports dried up several years ago so what is in country is all there is. The Finns captured thousands of Russian rifles during the winter war. They took the receivers and mated new barrels to them. They made new stocks to handle the extreme cold. These are by far the most accurate Mosins ever fielded. Again, here are so many variations to collect that it is fun hunting for them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom