• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There are also at least 11 million dead Russians who can attest to the fact that it is a completely useless battlefield weapon........ The dead Germans were killed by Americans, or Russians using American equipment.

Explain this then?

Famous Soviet snipers

All done with a Mosin 91/30. If the facts can't not set your mind right, well, I guess nothing will.

I also read an article in one of the gun magazines. Where one of the authors was hitting a steal target at 1,000 yards with a 91/30 sniper with PSU scope. How many other $100 surplus rifles do you know, that can achieve that kind of accuracy?

:popcorn:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Mosin Nagant at 1,000 yards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Ipi-cVhVE"]YouTube - Rifle Channel : Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 Sniper 1000 Yards[/ame]

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Explain this then?

:popcorn:

That was meant as a general statement. 11 million Dead Russians while the Ruskies didn't even inflict 4million on Germans. Russian guns were crap, there soldiers were crap, there gear was crap, and the tactics........ Sure when you run into casualty figures that hit the millions you get big numbers eventually, but Russians got there butt kicked, and kicked hard. If it was not for the US there would have been no USSR, and that is confirmed by every historian who has ever graduated grade school. The Mosin was outdated by WWI standards and by WWII it is a joke that Russia even issued it at all. To defend it as a fighting weapon by WWII standards is an offense to all fine weapons that did exist.

Look at the US we had M1s, England had the SMLE, Germany had the mauser (also very dated by WWII standards). the Mosin was on the bottom of the pile and should be considered one of the most outdated firearms to ever see action. Sure they had kills, but when you looking at 15 million dead your going to see big numbers on both sides.

Sure mosins are accurate, cheap, and reliable. But they are hands down one of the most pathetic excuses of a military cheaping out at the cost of its soldiers that has ever existed. But there is a history lesson as to why you dont scrap pennies, it doesn't work and you end up losing 11 million men.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The most fun for me isn't the 1,000 yard, it's the quest for the best fireball!

picture.php
    picture.php

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok guys I've been looking over the some of the threads and I see quite a few about the Mosin, I have the Mosin 91/30 I think (its about 4' long lol). Any way Im just wondering what the big hype about the rifle is. BTW I paid $20 for it and 1000rds of ammo from a friend that couldn't get it to fire, turns out didnt have a firing pin but I made my own. I really never found a purpose for this rifle besides blowing up frozen milk jugs :D
    I used to wonder that too, whats the big deal an old Russian bolt gun!!!!??? (roll music please) And then I shot one!!!!!!never thought a bolt would be ...uh....fun but wow even with my frozen fingers...that kinda gave me a lot of sympathy for the Soviet soldiers fighting the Hun..except for the part where I got in my nice warm truck and drove home to my nice warm wife!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    @ US Patriot.

That was a very long winded post which kinda makes it sound like I was coming after you, trust me I was not. I was sitting in a class and we were discussing the finer points of male v female serial killers and the policy implications that they bring to the Criminal Justice system. So I was very bored and needed an outlet, that post was just long because i was very bored.

Nothing wrong with a simple gun, but the Mosin is still (in my opinion) is the most overrated gun in history. Nothing wrong with simple, but there also isnt a whole lot going for it. Russians didnt learn there lesson in WWI and they didnt learn after WWII, and it cost them the lives of 11million+.

There is nothing wrong with cheap, im just saying that the Mosin has created a myth that it was actual a good firearm. Reality is that it was a cheap gun, very outdated, and there is a reason guys don't build $10k rifles on a mosin action. Nothing wrong with being cheap, but it had some serious flaws.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    @ US Patriot.

That was a very long winded post which kinda makes it sound like I was coming after you, trust me I was not. I was sitting in a class and we were discussing the finer points of male v female serial killers and the policy implications that they bring to the Criminal Justice system. So I was very bored and needed an outlet, that post was just long because i was very bored.

Nothing wrong with a simple gun, but the Mosin is still (in my opinion) is the most overrated gun in history. Nothing wrong with simple, but there also isnt a whole lot going for it. Russians didnt learn there lesson in WWI and they didnt learn after WWII, and it cost them the lives of 11million+.

There is nothing wrong with cheap, im just saying that the Mosin has created a myth that it was actual a good firearm. Reality is that it was a cheap gun, very outdated, and there is a reason guys don't build $10k rifles on a mosin action. Nothing wrong with being cheap, but it had some serious flaws.

I've got to disagree. I don't think that the Mosin had any other flaws that any of the other bolt rifles would have had during WWII. It wasn't as slick as the SMLE and the attention to detail would not have been up to the Mauser standard, but what you had was a simple, rugged rifle that was a perfect fit for Mother Russia's mainly illiterate peasant soldier.

I also can't tie Russia's immense casualties to their Mosin's. The Germans were simply better lead and employed their superior tactics. Stalin had purged hundreds, if not thousands, of generals and other high ranking military officers in the years before WWII. The Germans, using their superior tactics, were able to encircle millions of Russian soldiers at battles like Bialystok-Minsk and Kiev.

Even as the Russians started to learn their lessons and fight the Germans more effectively, the Russian soldier was often just mere cannon fodder attacking in human wave attacks, relying on sheer overwhelming numbers to beat the defending Germans. Add the fact that there was no retreat in the Red Army (all those stories of political commisars and security divisions in the rear of the attacking armies are true) and those poor guys, whether they carried a Mosin or a Papa-shaw, were simply mowed down line by line. The Germans were armed with the perfect weapon to fight those human wave attacks in the MG34 and 42 machine guns.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    yea the mosin caused all the russians to die, not the german's :rolleyes:
    the russian casualty rate was high because there army sucked, there generals sucked, there supplys sucked, there leaders sucked, there tactics sucked, and if the germans didnt kill there peasant soldiers there own officers shot them.

i dont see how a rifle the mosin caused the russians to lose 11 million, i thought the germans did.

444HPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hamilton
    Wow didnt mean to stir up all of this but I see where you guys are coming from, and 22lr simple is great look at Glock for and example (Duty Weapon). Ive been doing research (never really did any before) on the Mosin and yes it is a great "Bang for your Buck" rifle. But another question are all of those 1000yrd shots with surplus ammo if so very impressed, only shot mine up to 200yrds. I wont be selling it because I never sell/trade my weapons nor will ever give them up EVER! And the firing pin was made from billet, a buddy has a Mosin as well and I machined a duplicate. I rarely ever buy parts that are broke because if I can get the specs Ill machine it. I retract why the Mosin is a big deal becasue it kinda is. It def. went up on my list and will probably move closer to the front of my safe right next to the Mauser, Springfield 1903, and Rem. 700 collection. Thank You for all of the input and opening my eyes to the potential of the Mosin.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The Mosin was outdated by WWI standards and by WWII it is a joke that Russia even issued it at all. To defend it as a fighting weapon by WWII standards is an offense to all fine weapons that did exist.

Look at the US we had M1s, England had the SMLE, Germany had the mauser (also very dated by WWII standards).

The M1903A3 was still widely used by our boys in WWII. So is that a hunk of junk too?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I know what you're saying. I sold my Mosin to another member here who could appreciate it better. In rifles, I'm just not into the tactical or milsurp like I used to be. It's just a matter of tastes changing over time.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Mosin Nagants; They are cheap, the make big booms, they throw big fireballs, they are a blast (pun intended) to shoot, they CAN be accurate, they are fun to modify and won't break the bank, and all else you can use the gun as a boat paddle... if you happen to be in a canoe... without a paddle.... that is.

I love my M44!!! One of my all time favorite guns to shoot!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What else can you get for that little amount of money that:
    --helped the Russians take down 80% of the German war machine.
    --Throws a fireball that is visible in broad daylight.
    --Is a throw back to a day before the military realized a bullet didn't have to be able to go through 6 guys to stop an enemy soldier.
    --Is very much a high power rifle that you can get a total noob up to speed on its operations and handling in about 2 minutes.
    --Was designed before the word "plinking" was coined, otherwise the term "destroying" would have stuck in its place.
    If you compare this rifle to other countries rifles of the era you are missing out on some critical issues of the day. The Russians lived in a totally different world than we did. They didn't have to worry about public opinion, or body count, they were not a democracy that had those pesky things to work around. They had a rifle that worked in ANY weather conditions and a gazillioon people they could send into battle until the enemy ran out of people.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have an M44, It's shoots fine, the rifle are inexpensive to buy, ammo is cheap too shoot, but make sure you clean it with WINDEX to get rid of the corrosive ammo residue before you put it away

Top Bottom