• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    You cannot compare a M-44 to a Mauser. They are two different ballparks.

Just trying to point out that the Mosin has a lot of negatives and isn't a perfect rifle that its cooked up to be. I would say anyone would be well served to check out other options for a cheap shooting rifle. I would wager the Mauser is better suited to most users.

The Mosin was an effective weapon in its day, but it is a late 1800s design so it lacks the refinements of later developments. The K98 was a 1930s, and has a lot of refinements that the Nagant never had. I say all that just to say the mosin has its faults, still a gun that works, but it is lacking by way of a good rifle by the standards of the 1940s, and even more so by today's. Its like a hi-point v M&P, it works but is inferior to the other design in almost every way.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just trying to point out that the Mosin has a lot of negatives and isn't a perfect rifle that its cooked up to be. I would say anyone would be well served to check out other options for a cheap shooting rifle. I would wager the Mauser is better suited to most users.

The Mosin was an effective weapon in its day, but it is a late 1800s design so it lacks the refinements of later developments. The K98 was a 1930s, and has a lot of refinements that the Nagant never had. I say all that just to say the mosin has its faults, still a gun that works, but it is lacking by way of a good rifle by the standards of the 1940s, and even more so by today's. Its like a hi-point v M&P, it works but is inferior to the other design in almost every way.

Actually, both are 19th century designs. The kar98 was nothing more than a shorter Gewehr 98 that rolled out of Mauserwerke in 1898. Also, the Mosin was a completely new design, and when it was first developed was arguably THE best military small arm at the time. It took Pete Mauser several times to get it right. A more fair comparison to the Mosin would be the 1888 commission rifle or 1886 Lebel. Both are a POS compared to the Mosin, let alone the 98.
    Really, there is no comparing one of the currently available refurbs to an original. These were basically thrown together with no mind to fitting the parts long after the war was over. I've got more than a couple of originals and believe me, many of the faults listed for the Mosin don't exist in these. Action every bit as slick as a Mauser, no jams, etc.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    yeah you do know what the "98" in "k98" stand for right? :):

I will say though, a k98k compared to a typical 91-30 is hands down a better rifle. The 91-30 is still a very cheap way to get into shooting old iron. Try saying that about any Mauser (except some of the less popular variants like Turks, etc).

With a little fussing over some details, you can make it run just as sweet. Google "accurizing mosin nagant" if you want an eye full of links to look at. If you don't believe the potential of a M-N, try out a Finn M39. I love mine almost as much as my K31 - it really is that good.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I picked up my first 91/30 a couple months ago, and for a $120, it's been the best and most reliable "cheap" rifle I've owned. Mine was a never before issued rifle made in 1943. The website 7.62x54r.net has been very helpful for me to learn about my rifle. In my opinion, this is a great rifle as far as accuracy, reliability, and generally all around fun to shoot. It makes a hell of a bang and a cool fireball that gets you some odd looks at the range too. I can tell you that the one I have now will not be my last 91/30.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy

Agan_08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Salem/Muncie
    A Mosin for HD ? I guess it would do if you could manage to maneuver it around corners and not shoot through the wall and into an innocent bystander. But if you run out of ammo, you could chuck it like a glorified spear :D

I 2nd that about the microwaves, sometimes the only way to handle them is a few 7.62's

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I have a few mausers and 8mm ammo isnt cheap anymore

So how about taking a K98 and having it rechambered to 7.62X54?
    Could it handle the pressure?

It could be done, but it would be a little more involved than just cutting a new chamber. You'd need a new barrel, the x54 round is smaller diameter -.310 or so vs. .323. Your bolt face and extractor would need some modification, the rim on the x54 is much thicker than the 8mm. Then you'd have to watch how you load your rounds to avoid rimlock in the magazine.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    You just have to try one. They are comfortable to shoot, are accurate enough, and I think several people mentioned cost-effective. Well-made, interesting, and if you know what you're looking for you can find some real tack drivers. Get a Finn. They've had Sako barrels put on them and are positively sweet. But hey, noone's forcing you to buy one. You are perfectly free to buy a gun that I think is ugly or useless or otherwise undesirable. Maybe you like Glocks, or 9mm's or a .410 or a 22/12 gauge over/under. They don't do it for me, but judging by how well they all sell, I may be missing out on something too!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    This is the same thing I said about the sks's 20 years ago. Im going to go on record saying that the mosin's will be 300.00 to 400.00 guns in 20 years. I think I might buy a few cases and bury them.:D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is the same thing I said about the sks's 20 years ago. Im going to go on record saying that the mosin's will be 300.00 to 400.00 guns in 20 years. I think I might buy a few cases and bury them.:D

That's a better return than you'll get in the market. Maybe someone should start a mutual fund that invests in Mosin Nagant futures.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Its cheap, ammo is cheap, It goes boom and some of them can shank people up close! :D They can also be accurate at a few hundred yards if you equip them with a scope. That answer your question? I don't have one but I will if not to shoot at least for a conversation piece!
    Up close? Mines 5"6" with the bayonette. I stick someone from across the room. I paid less than $100 for mine. You cant beat it. Mine was made in 1943. For the price I paid,not only did I get the rifle,but all the accessories. Its very accurate too. One interesting thing I noticed was the markings. The earlier ones have nice neat markings,but as they go on during the war (The Great Patriotic War of course,its not WWII when your talking about your Mosin) the markings got slopier and slopier. The quality of the build though is just fine. I imagine this overweight man in a Soviet army uniform,and a fur hat with a star on it saying "Make MOAR Gun!!!" in a strong russian accent.

The best thing about it is,if the NAZIs every get bogged down in the Utah snow out there,Im ready for em'.

Last edited:

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    Man did I open up a can of worms. I might buy one just to hold on too, and see if it goes up in value. Same I did with SKS's, and AK's which I have none left. Problem is I really have no room. 2 safes and 2 gun cabnets full, and shot guns in corner and pistols in dressers. I understand the its cheap ammo is cheap thing. But for me I reload, so almost everything I shoot is cheap. Plus I like acuracy. If i wana have fun I break out the UZI and drop a couple bucks in a couple seconds. I knock no one for there wants or reasons behind it. Was just curius to why so many liked them.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I have been trying to convince myself to drink the Mosin kool-aid...just haven't gotten that first sip down. I mean if I want a fireball I'll shoot my CZ 52, if I want to run other people off the bench I can shoot my Hakim, if I want to shoot a rifle all day long cheap I'll shoot my Papashaw...

But still...the Mosin 38 or 44 does hold a strange attraction. I really don't see the 91 in my future, if i want to shoot something that long I do have the Hakim. But a powerful carbine...that I could mod a bit...maybe...
    You can get one for around 100 dollars. Rather than why WOULD you want one,why wouldnt you. What other weapon of that quality can you get for $100. Get one,and a big box of ammo,and if you dont like it,sell it. I bet you wont be selling it though.:ar15:

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    They make a hi-point look like a Cadillac. Only thing they have going for them is the cheap price. The fit and finish is approaching negative numbers out of 10, ergonomics are maybe 1-10, trigger is halfway decent, bolt smoothness is about -5 million out of 10, recoil is just downright painful, reliability is poor for a bolt action (easy to jam while loading), the safety is almost impossible to actually use practically, and the history of the gun is killing innocent people in numbers that make the Nazis look like school children.

Save up a few more bucks and buy a Mauser if you want a mil-surp gun that shoots cheap ammo. The ONLY good thing about the mosin is the price, but at the same time I still dont think there worth what they sell for. Mausers are legit quality rifles and the Yugos can still be bought for under $200 if you look around. They have amazingly smooth actions, safeties that work, easy to load without jamming the gun, nice triggers (once you get used to a two stage), ergonomics are pretty good, and recoil is easier to handle.

I had a Yugo M48 and Mosin at the same time. Sold the Mosin and will never buy another unless its the last gun on earth. As a gun community we all complain about poor quality firearms, yet somehow the Mosin still gets some praise. I think its a conspiracy designed to undermine our taste in real rifles, that actually work. :evilangel:

*disclaimer* I do like the Finish models for the historical value and would buy one if I found one for a reasonable price.

Mine has never jammed on me. (The very first shot I took from it though was a dud,and my first thought was great,the damn thing is broken,and while the guy I got it from I a reputable guy who would fix it in a heardbeat,hes 1700 miles away now that Ive moved. I counted to 20,cycled the bolt bulled the bang switch and BAM!) Shes a 1943 vintage Izhevsk. I noticed the earlier ones,in the 30s and such,have nice strait markings. The later ones have the stamped letters all uneven,as clearly they were trying to turn out as many as they could. Still all the parts fit together and work,and shes a lot more accurate than I am. Ive had no complaints about the trigger. My take on it is,it was made in a hurry,but the parts were the dimensions they needed to be. Typical Soviet,especially wartime Soviet manufacturing. Big,heavy and solid,because they werent going to replace it just becuase something new and shiney came along.

Yea,it was carried by our enemies. So what,so was an AK,so was the Brownign HP for that matter. You might imagine a soldier in Korea shooting at our guys,but I like to think about the Soviet sniper,laying there behind a ice encrusted tree stump,in a white fur army cap,his mouth filled with snow so his breath wont show,lining up a NAZI officer in his crosshairs of his scope.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I was operating under the assumption that only an idiot would buy one because they were trying to find the finest firearm they could for plinking. If there isn't a component of History, or collecting in your motivation for owning one I cannot recommend it either. Along those lines if this was a thread inquiring about how good a particular rifle was for hunting I wouldn't critique it from the standpoint of it's ability to be used with a bayonet.
    Not saying you (22lr) went about posting with the wrong intent, I'm just saying what my vantage point is when I speak highly of it. My gun background is only about a couple of years, but I've been a connoisseur of history for a lifetime.

I understand that in Eastern Europe they are commonly used for hunting. As they say,they are capable of taking down just about anything on the continent.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I have only owned my 91/30 for a few weeks . Only had it to the range once ,but I did not find it unpleasant at all to shoot (no sore shoulder) . I think the recoil is highly over rated and I was shooting sitting down. I had read so much about needing a buttpad for these that I almost bought one for it . I'm glad I didnt . Sure it kicks more than a small caliber rifle but not as rough as my son's single shot 20 guage . I found it fun to shoot and will probably keep this one and maybe buy more.

I bought a butpad for mine,but for the life of me,I dont understand why people think you need,or even want one. All it did was ride up into the crack when I sat down and my shoulder was just as sore at the end of the day as it ever was. :dunno:

Top Bottom