Mosin sniper build... not for the purist at heart.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I got some stuff in the mail today. my ATI bolt handle and scope mount, bi-pod, bullet sleeve. Still waiting on my 8-32x50 scope but decided to go ahead and start with my build. Went with black I was planning an doing a Digital camo but well this was easier. Maybe Ill practice the digital camo on something else. Looking into cutting 5.5 inches or 7.5 inches off the barrel making it either 20 inches or 22 inches.
    :rockwoot:
    100_0872.jpg

100_0870.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im looking at doin something along that line myself. I got the ati stock myself, but decided to have my bolt modified by a smith rather than using the ati bent bolt(looks to cheap for my tast, and dont know about longevity) But looks good so far, keep it up and post some more pics when get em!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Barrel harmonics!!! Thanks, I'll be reading more into that stuff. I planned on getting the ATI stock as well I just spent enough money so I saved my self 70 bucks and butchered my original stock...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Dont mean to Hi-Jack here(my apologies ), but maybe a more knowlagable member can answer. Wouldnt it decrease long range accuracy if you shorten your barrel?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    longer barrels do not mean more accuracy, rather maybe a bit more velocity. since your using a scope sight distance dosnt really matter so a short barrel provided it can give enough velocity to get to the distances you want to go is fine.

you NEVER want to rest the barrel on anything while shooting for accuracy let alone put a bipod in it. while i cannot spout out a bunch of technical jargon, take my word for it, its bad. it will cause the barrel to vibrate differantly each time and "bounce" off the bipod. you will be much better served putting a sling sivel on the forend of the stock and putting a harris or cheaper yet, rock bipod on it.

of course this all depends on your standards of accuracy and distance. if you are trying to make hits on a torso (18x30) target at 600 you will be fine. but if you are trying to hit a 8x8 steel square at the same distance, it will.

ammo is the other issue, i wouldnt expect superb accuracy out of this thing w/ surplus ammo. run some handloads to really tighten things up and see what a phenominal shooter a mosin can be under the right conditions.

you can also look into glass bedding that action. being a cheaper rifle to begin with, there is nothing to loose by trying your hand at it yourself and it will only help.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    longer barrels do not mean more accuracy, rather maybe a bit more velocity. since your using a scope sight distance dosnt really matter so a short barrel provided it can give enough velocity to get to the distances you want to go is fine.

you NEVER want to rest the barrel on anything while shooting for accuracy let alone put a bipod in it. while i cannot spout out a bunch of technical jargon, take my word for it, its bad. it will cause the barrel to vibrate differantly each time and "bounce" off the bipod. you will be much better served putting a sling sivel on the forend of the stock and putting a harris or cheaper yet, rock bipod on it.

of course this all depends on your standards of accuracy and distance. if you are trying to make hits on a torso (18x30) target at 600 you will be fine. but if you are trying to hit a 8x8 steel square at the same distance, it will.

ammo is the other issue, i wouldnt expect superb accuracy out of this thing w/ surplus ammo. run some handloads to really tighten things up and see what a phenominal shooter a mosin can be under the right conditions.

you can also look into glass bedding that action. being a cheaper rifle to begin with, there is nothing to loose by trying your hand at it yourself and it will only help.

Thanks for the input I guess I should not have cut the stock so short... Hind sight is always 20/20. I plan on getting some non surplus ammo for the 3 gun shoot, any input on what I should get is welcome as well! This was kinda just low budget build and I don't expect a whole lot out of it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    @ that video... WTH is that guy doing putting in all that effort into machining a one of a kind MG and then putting a UTG bipod and NC Star Scope?!? :n00b:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    IGW has it spot on with this one. Personally I wouldn't of cut the stock back quite so far, but would of sanded out the barrel channel so that it would of still free floated the barrel for accuracy.

I will make one recommendation with that ATI bolt handle kit. Do yourself a favor and go to the hardware store and buy a new allen head machine screw with tapered head in the right size (yes they should be available to match that one) but get it in the black hardened steel like they use for impact sockets. When I did that setup myself the original screw that came with the kit broke off just putting it in. I upgraded the screw and haven't had a problem, and its had quite a few rounds through it.

I also have the ATI stock on my M44, and while I do like it alot. They didn't get the front sling swivel quite centered side to side. So if I put on a bipod the gun sits at a angle to one side. Plus also remember that if you cut down the barrel your felt recoil will increase. I wouldn't cut it down as far as you are wanting. I'd say maybe 24" min, just my:twocents:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Here are a couple of my Mosin builds. I made my own bolt handles and cut and recrowned the barrel to 18" and another to 16 1/2" and mounted Williams from sights. I also made my own scope mounts that are reverseable to be a regular mount or a scout mount.

picture.php
    picture.php
    picture.php

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Nice looking Mosin's guys I'm working on a new bi-pod mount system I think it will be pretty cool, and hopefully work... Also is there a reason one cannot load from the bottom of the magazine via stripper clip? I don't have any yet to try it and just wondering if anyone has tried.

Top Bottom