Mosin sniper build... not for the purist at heart.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    @ that video... WTH is that guy doing putting in all that effort into machining a one of a kind MG and then putting a UTG bipod and NC Star Scope?!? :n00b:

I noticed that but ive been bashing enough mosins for a while so I figured id let it go. But now that you mentioned it.

What retard spends that kind of time designing what looks like a very nice looking set up, then cheaps out and buys that stuff? I mean he could have just made his own......... My hat goes off to the guy for the stock, bolt relocation, and handguard, but really dude just make yourself a nicer bipod.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    hmmm... alright back on topic... lol
    here is a "mock up" of my bi-pod design again this isn't a working model. just to get the idea across.
    100_0876.jpg

100_0875.jpg

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    try some sling studs from walmart for 10 bucks and mount one on the front of the stock just drill the whole a tad bit smaller and thread the stud in and buy a bipod from there for 30 bucks and mount it to the sling stud i know its more money but its sturdy and you can fold it out of the way......... just an idea

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Is the film on the scope supposed to simulate a cold snowy Russian winter when you look through it?
    Sory I just couldn't pass it up. I should get to bed.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think it is a cool project, and one that I've considered. I was thinking of seeing how cheaply I could build a sub MOA .30 caliber.

A couple of thoughts / suggestions:

- Go with the ATI stock, and spend some time sanding the barrel channel to relieve tension on the barrel (like another poster mentioned)

- Mount the bipod to the stock (looks like you have a plan for that right now)

- Keep the longer barrel, especially if you are shooting surplus 7.62x54r. That ammo was designed with a burn rate for the longer barrel. When you shorten the barrel, you will lose precious velocity, and replace that with a big muzzle flash. This is why the M38/44 carbines are known for their fireballs! Also, if you are wanting it to be a true sniper rifle, that big flash will probably alert others to your hiding spot. ;)

- Do some work on the trigger. The Mosin trigger is very simple, and with a little polishing of the sear end you can probably make the break a lot cleaner.

Here is a good video about accurizing Mosins:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcITHYnRiSs]YouTube - accurizing a mosin nagant M91/30 part 1[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Is the film on the scope supposed to simulate a cold snowy Russian winter when you look through it?
    Sory I just couldn't pass it up. I should get to bed.

lol Yeah that's not the scope that's going on it just one I had laying around hence the film, hopefully I have it Monday!

Good info guys I'll be looking into the trigger soon! Probably stick with the bi-pod I have and mount it this way, may even modify the bi-pod clamp so it not so obtrusive, also this one folds and I am on a budget, this was mainly for fun shooting and see how much I can do with smallest amount of money.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that bipod like that will work fine, and is kinda a cheap way to replicat some of the fancier bipods like atlas when the clip onto the end of a stock. as long as you are able to load the bipod w/out damaging the stock both during loading of the bipod, and recoil, then it should be just fine.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I am pretty much right at 300 including the gun. I have finished my bi-pod mount and have to do some more work on the stock and some more painting and I will get some more pics up asap!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Looks a lot better. I am watching this thread because Mosins are cheap and might be a fun project for me later. Looks like you are sticking with the same idea I was on, cheap fun build.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    First working prototype of bi-pod mount works but I stripped out the "nut" so I planning on using a hardened bolt and insert a nut inside the stock as well as counter sunk at the end.
    IMAG0089.jpg

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    I'm preparing to start my first Mosin build within the next week. This thread is really getting the gears turning.

Your Mosin is looking great, man!

What scope mount system did you use, and would you recommend it?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very nice start to your build, I just sent my bolt off yesterday to have some work done to it, cant wait to get it back and start the assembly, Keep it up, looking good!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    It's the ATI scope mount it seems to fit pretty good on the hex receiver, when I get it to the range I will tell you for sure if I can recommend it! I also have the ATI bent bolt and I will probably end up making my own its kinda ugly, but will work for now...

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the ATI bolt handle on my 91/30 and put one on my dads as well. They both ended up with a little different fit and even though I used lock tight on the screw, I have been considering having the bolt handle welded along the top edge. On both bolts, the ATI handle ended up slightly raised so that there would be sufficient threads when finished. On both guns I followed the tips from Rock Solid Industries, and used pvc pipe with 60 grit sand paper to free float the barrel. That worked very well and only took about 45 minutes. It's a bit difficult to load from the top. Wat I plan to do at the range is simply flip the gun over, open the floor plate and drop the bullets in from the bottom. The only concern I have is it seems like you'd have to make sure the rounds don't get hung up on each others rim. I also followed their tip and polished the bore with the Never Dull as recommended. I was kind of shocked that after a standard cleaning, how black the first couple patches with the Never Dull came out. I know I'm ready to get out and shoot them, to see how they turned out. Your build looks nice. good luck to you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    hmmm... note to self don't paint until after everything is done. I got a little excited and had to do something with it and painted it, well now I got the section out for the bent bolt and free floated what's left of the stock that supports the barrel. More to come later!
    IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg

Top Bottom