• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I'm doing a Mosin nagant sporter build and could use some advice. These are the supplies im buying

Mosin nagant heavy barrel designed for czech uk59 machinegun
    Mosin nagant stripped reciver
    Mosin nagant monte carlo stock
    and a Black tacticool sling
    Bipod

Im going to do a scout scope mount.

Any advice?

Is there anyway to get the monte carlo stock so I can free float the heavy barrel? Anywhere to buy the materials to get the full reciver and make it a full reciver without the barrel? Also should I be cheap and just get a mosin and monte carlo stock with a scout scope mount. Any advice at all would be appreciated. This will be my first sporter build

Last edited:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I'm doing a Mosin nagant sporter build and could use some advice. These are the supplies im buying

Mosin nagant heavy barrel designed for czech uk59 machinegun
    Mosin nagant stripped reciver
    Mosin nagant monte carlo stock
    and a Black tacticool sling
    Bipod

Im going to do a scout scope mount.

Any advice?

Is there anyway to get the monte carlo stock so I can free float the heavy barrel? Anywhere to buy the materials to get the full reciver and make it a full reciver without the barrel? Also should I be cheap and just get a mosin and monte carlo stock with a scout scope mount

I thought about that build myself. I know Classis Arms sells the barrels and receivers for $100. But you will need a lot of other parts, bolt etc. The barrels don't have any type of sights on them, so you can't use an ATI scout scope mount. For any scope mount you will be drilling and tapping holes. I think the most difficult part would be inletting the stock for the bigger diameter barrel. I have built quite a few custom Mosins before.
    I thought about the work involved in this one, and decided this wasn't worth it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I thought about that build myself. I know Classis Arms sells the barrels and receivers for $100. But you will need a lot of other parts, bolt etc. The barrels don't have any type of sights on them, so you can't use an ATI scout scope mount. For any scope mount you will be drilling and tapping holes. I think the most difficult part would be inletting the stock for the bigger diameter barrel.
    I thought about the work involved and decided it wasn't worth it.
    Ive been looking into it and decided to get a 91/30 round with a monte carlo stock and do a scout scope mount with a bipod my price right now without the optics is 175. EDIT I just found a rifle optics bipod and sling combo for 160!! Wait whats the catch?

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Just curious, why the scout scope set up? Why not do a Rock Solid mount or the ATI mount?

I've been running an ATI mount on my Mosin sporter for years and never had a single issue out of it.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    It seems like a fair deal. Although I haven't had any experience with the ATI scout scope mount, guys on here have complained that the don't hold zero.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Just curious, why the scout scope set up? Why not do a Rock Solid mount or the ATI mount?

I've been running an ATI mount on my Mosin sporter for years and never had a single issue out of it.
    I like the long eye relief and I dont wanna drill the reciver or bend the bolt.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI

Did you drill and tap the receiver yourself? It can be a bit of a pain.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    These Mosin builds have been talked about a lot on here. I have been thinking about getting one, and here is what i was planning on doing to it.

Bent Bolt
    ATI stock w/ ff barrel and pillar bedding
    Scout mounted scope on the dovetail under the original rear sight
    Shorten and recrown barrel to about 18"
    Some sort of Ironsights for backup (looked at XS maybe)
    Timney Trigger

I know its a little pricy, but I figured it would be a fun build

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    These Mosin builds have been talked about a lot on here. I have been thinking about getting one, and here is what i was planning on doing to it.

Bent Bolt
    ATI stock w/ ff barrel and pillar bedding
    Scout mounted scope on the dovetail under the original rear sight
    Shorten and recrown barrel to about 18"
    Some sort of Ironsights for backup (looked at XS maybe)
    Timney Trigger

I know its a little pricy, but I figured it would be a fun build

Do you mean something like these?
    picture.php

Top Bottom