• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    870 for the mods you can do (including extended mag tube). If you buy a mossberg all decked out the way you want it, then that would probably be alright.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    definatly go with the 870 i got 2 one 12 and one 16 gauge wingmaster. mossbergs have aluminum recievers vs. the 870 which has a steel reciever both are good but the performance is a lot better in my opinion in the 870

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I own an 870, a 500 & a 590A1.

I really only keep the 870 around as a loaner gun, the vast majority of the shells are shot through my Mossbergs..

It's not that I think that the 870 is a bad shotgun or anything I just like the loading gate design & locations of the safety & bolt release on my Mossbergs better.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been having this same debate myself for a few months now. I've settled on the 500. I will likely only use it for trap and occasional varmint use - if we move out onto some land. I've never been a shotgun fan but just like my PF9, I see the need.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I own an 870, a 500 & a 590A1.

I really only keep the 870 around as a loaner gun, the vast majority of the shells are shot through my Mossbergs..

It's not that I think that the 870 is a bad shotgun or anything I just like the loading gate design & locations of the safety & bolt release on my Mossbergs better.

Agree when the Moss & Rem are using the std. stock. When you change the stock towards a pistol grip type (ie adding a SpecOps Stock) then the Rem's "design" is more natural than the Moss's in this new config.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Where to shoot in NWI (ie Ranges)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Rem's "design" is more natural than the Moss's in this new config.

I've got the Blackhawk stock and forgrip (Forgrip required a little doing to fit). You are right, the release switch is hard to get to, which is why I made a lever for mine, so I can release the bolt without ever adjusting or changing grip, just a flick of the thumb.

I love my Mossy, I'd pick up an 870 if I saw a good price on one just to have it. The safety is annoying on the Mossy to me, but I don't use it so hasn't bothered my since.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    For me, I chose the 870 because I didn't like the wiggle and rattle in the forearm of the 500 I was using to hunt with. After using the 870, I feel like my old 500 kicked like a mule using the same loads as my 870 which was a welcome change going to the 870.

I shot my first buck with my 870 last year at 100 yards....my dad got his first tom this year with his new 500A.

Functioning they are both good...decide which one gives you the most confidnce in hand and don't second guess your choice. Thats the best option!

Top Bottom