• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Got mine @ ACME the week before the 1500. It's not too bad to shoot. So far put 7 1/2 shot, #4 buck, 00 buck (S&B 12 pellet) & slugs. All seemed pretty mild on my end.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    The one we had at the Greenwood RuralKing lasted about30 mins. Our regular that bought it was tickled. He managed to get it before the system went to crap.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    How many does it hold in the tube, using these? I get 5 of the 2 3/4, but only 4 of the S&B 00 w/ 12 balls.

I don't know how I keep losing track of this thread. Sorry.

I could only fit 5 in the tube, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you can fit 5 2 3/4 shells in there. I'll see if I can try again double check.

I looked it up and the short buckshot rounds are 2.2", not 2", but still, it seems like an extra one should fit.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been wanting a short barreled shotgun for a while. There are very few available right now and I'm not willing to pay a premium. In a couple of years, when the newness wears off, I might pick one up, if I still have the bug. In the mean time, I'll just have to depend on my Remington 870 with 20" barrel.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I saw the Remington version at a store in MI on Saturday looked pretty interesting.
    Was it an NFA gun? The attractive thing about the Mossberg Shockwave is that one can purchase it, just like a handgun...no tax, no fees, no loooooooooong wait.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Okay, finally confirmed round count.

With the Noble Sport 2.2" buckshot rounds, the gun will hold 6 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

With the Aguila 1.75" minishells (and the OpSol miniclip to allow it to cycle them), the gun will hold 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Interesting. I didn't see it on the Remington website.

There were a few companies manufacturing these types of shotguns from Remington 870s and Mossberg 590s with Shockwave grips from pistol grip variants of those guns (or possibly just bare receivers if they could buy them that way). Then Mossberg started producing them on their own and way undercut the pricing (I want to say that the aftermarket ones were $600+, where as the Mossberg guns are $450 or less (I'm sure they will be less once they are more common).

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I recently got a Gatekeeper II (a Remington 870). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the quality seems very good. I got a Voodoo entry shotgun scabbard. The Gatekeeper II fits, even with the sidesaddle. The Voodoo scabbard is of very good quality, just like my Voodoo rifle case. So far, the only thing about the scabbard that seems awkward is the sling. I might get something figured out. I don't have any MOLLE vest or pack and don't plan on getting any, so I can't comment on how the scabbard would interact with that equipment.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I recently got a Gatekeeper II (a Remington 870). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the quality seems very good. I got a Voodoo entry shotgun scabbard. The Gatekeeper II fits, even with the sidesaddle. The Voodoo scabbard is of very good quality, just like my Voodoo rifle case. So far, the only thing about the scabbard that seems awkward is the sling. I might get something figured out. I don't have any MOLLE vest or pack and don't plan on getting any, so I can't comment on how the scabbard would interact with that equipment.

Congrats! You need to add one of these, or something like it;

Raptor Strap Kit for Mossberg 500 Forends $11.49 | Shockwave Technologies

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Just picked up my new Mossberg Shockwave. I love it and look forward to trying it out. I bought some low recoil #4 buck 2 3/4" too because a 3 inch shell seems to me like it wold hurt. It really is a nice shotgun and if you don't have one to cut down (I did that too a while back but I wound up selling it), it is a nice home defense gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was finally able to take my Remington Gatekeeper II out. I shot 25 rounds of #8 target loads to get the feel of the gun. I shot some falling plates from the hip at 5 or 6 yards. Without the strap, it was hard to hold on to. I will be installing the strap and if I don't like that, I'll try a pistol grip forend. I then moved to 15 yards. I fired a round of Winchester Military Load 00 buck, 2 3/4". I got a 13" pattern and the recoil was excessive. I shot some Hornady Critical Defense 2 3/4" that has eight 00 buck. This round was much more manageable. I got 7" patterns. I'll probably stick with this load until I get a chance to shoot some low recoil #4 buck and 00 buck. I fired a couple of old slugs. I held the gun out at arm's length while shooting the slugs and 00 buck and the gun never came close to my face. This gun isn't for the faint of heart, nor for those with limited upper body strength. The bicycle inner tube sleeve worked well. I used military type flight gloves (nomex and leather) and suggest something like that for range use. I hold the gun with the barrel pointed slightly up to avoid face contact. With that hold, the gun shoots about 18"- 24" higher than my aiming point using the bead as reference. At 15 yards, I had no trouble keeping all shots on a 2'X2' target. I'm looking forward to shooting the gun again, once the forend strap is in place and I have some low recoil 00 buck and low recoil #4 buck shells.

Top Bottom