• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have read on a couple of different forums that the Mossberg 930SPX can be unreliable in cold weather, and with under-powered loads. I decided to try my own mini-experiment.

I kept my 930SPX in my truck for the last three days. My truck sits outside at night. And no I won't tell anyone where I live. It was 2 degrees on my way to work this morning. Trust me, the gun was cold.

I grabbed a box of the lowest power shotgun shells I had, Remington 2 3/4, 1 1/8 oz, 8 shot. It's the bulk pack Walmart sells for skeet.

At lunch today, shooting outside, it went boom 25 times. No failures to cycle.

Not the most scientific experiment, and a larger sample at different temperatures may have given me better data, but I went back to work feeling confident in my HD shotgun. I still have an 870T for backup, though!:)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    You mean you guys can't shoot at work? Quit and find a new job!

No, my dad lives about 3 miles from where I work. And he owns some land so we put a little range back in the woods. That's where I spend my lunch break most days.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Good to hear this (unscientific as it may be). I've been considering this (on the advice of The Mad Ogre) as an alternative to the pricier Benelli M4.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Good to hear this (unscientific as it may be). I've been considering this (on the advice of The Mad Ogre) as an alternative to the pricier Benelli M4.

I don't know how they hold up compared to the Benelli but if you don't shoot a lot, that may not matter. I like mine but don't shoot it much.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I don't know how they hold up compared to the Benelli but if you don't shoot a lot, that may not matter. I like mine but don't shoot it much.

Same here. I like mine, but don't shoot it a lot. If I was in Iraq kicking doors in, I would rather have the Benelli.

Last edited:

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I imagine decreased reliability comes from certain lubricants used.

The 930 seems like a very nice choice in the price range, but I would prefer to see long term reliability reports on one, as well as a few torture tests so I could get an idea of what parts will need replaced and when.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    You mean 25 rounds from the gun in 15 degree weather isn't enough of a torture test?:D

Yeah, I haven't seen any "we buried it in the mud, we ran it over with a truck, we threw it off a cliff, then we shot 25,000 rounds" tests on it either.

It's mostly a fun gun for me. In a real SHTF situation, I would still probably grab my 870.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Biggest concern in cold weather is lube thickening enough to impede function. If you keep your guns fairly dry this isn't much of a problem plus I seldom gets cold enough in Indiana to cause a problem. When I am going to be outside for extended periods in the winter (hunting for example) I normally do a good wipe down to remove lube and use something like Dri Slide which uses moly and graphite.

Top Bottom