• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Mossberg JIC that is a hoot to shoot with a pistol grip. I out a Pacmyer grip on it. I have even shot clays with it. I do get some strange look though. They are fun. It;s my bedroom gun. Zero regrets. I would love to short barrel it!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I do not think inside that guns range aiming is needed.

While I generally disagree with the statements people make about not needing to aim a shotgun, I think in this particular case it's spot on. I'd be surprised if the buckshot didn't get a near full spread at bedroom distance with a barrel that short. In my opinion if the buckshot spreads out that quickly it would disqualify the gun as a home defense gun just because I don't know what "the shot" would be. Can't imagine trying to pull off a hostage shot with one of these, but as it's been mentioned before these guns are adult play things. I'm not going to bet my life on one.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I do not think inside that guns range aiming is needed.

I disagree. I've taken my Serbu out to shoot clays that are underhand tossed by someone standing next to me, and it's hard to hit them. The spread really isn't that quick.

I'll see if I can get a few minutes at lunch time to pattern both the Serbu and a modified choke 26" shotgun. I think you'll be surprised at how little difference there is at 5 yards.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    OK, here's what I came up with.

Pattern%20-%20Serbu%20vs%20Mod%20Choke.png

Each of the pieces of cardboard is 16"x12". As you can see, the shotgun with the modified choke kept everything tight together, with spread on each shot being about 3". With the 6.5" AOW, though, the shot pattern opened up to more like 10". (Two of the pellets on the first round fired just missed the cardboard to the left. My fault rather than the gun's.)

But if you're shooting down a hallway, three of these pieces of cardboard can fit side by side. Someone could very easily shoot right past a human-sized object even within a hallway, let alone a larger room.

Even with a short barrel and open choke, you still have to accurately point the thing to make a hit.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very interesting results. At 15 yards, I'd have thought it was going to spread out a little more.

Top Bottom