• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anybody ever have any problems with the forend of their Mossberg 500 wobbling a little bit once a shell is fully racked? I noticed it in my stock forend so I purchased an Ultimate Arms railed forend and it is the same. My buddy has a 590 and he said his does the same thing. Is this just the way it is supposed to be or is there something that can be done about it. I know, I know for all of the Remington fans the answer is easy, but I hope to hear from some Mossberg aficionados on this matter if possible. Thanks in advance.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I own five different mossberg 500 shotguns. They all wobble to some degree, I do not think I have ever held one that did not.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Just like everyone has said, it is part of the design. The "best" forend will be the one you think is most comfortable or fits your needs the best. The one thing you can do is take the tube off and put a little duck tape on the inside of the tube. I did this before going hunting once, it provides a little padding so it doesn't clank so loudly when you are walking to your stand. I would put just one strip all the way around the inside on both ends. If you don't like it take it off. GL and embrace the wiggle.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    People with Mossbergs know, this wobble is nothing to worry about. I have shot/ owned 6 or 7 different 500/590/M88s over the years, and never one malfunction. And I'm talking thousands of rounds. Match that with the 5 or 6 870s I've shot and 3 of them jammed. The worst jam on an 870 is one where it double feeds, jamming the chamber open. The second worst is when you can't get the action open. I've experienced both, and could loose you the game you're shooting at, or in the worst scenario, your life.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I've never had or heard of a jam with a 870 do to the gun. Than again i've never had a jam with a mossy. I have heard of some 500's jamming but not the 590's to much. If u take care of them then thay both should do fine.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    People with Mossbergs know, this wobble is nothing to worry about. I have shot/ owned 6 or 7 different 500/590/M88s over the years, and never one malfunction. And I'm talking thousands of rounds. Match that with the 5 or 6 870s I've shot and 3 of them jammed. The worst jam on an 870 is one where it double feeds, jamming the chamber open. The second worst is when you can't get the action open. I've experienced both, and could loose you the game you're shooting at, or in the worst scenario, your life.

my cousin has an 870 and i have a 500. the 870's fit is a little better as it doesnt wobble. but while he is clearing jams i can blast away :ar15:

his 870 had both a double feed and the jam where the action is locked closed both in the same range session. its an absolute pita to fix.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have had multiple mossbergs and every single one has that wobble. If you go to your local gun shop and feel all of them they have, every one will wobble and it gets worse with age but other than that the overall gun seems to get better with age.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the replies fellas. This was my first shotty and I have had it for about 6 months now so I was just wondering. I am willing to embrace the wobble, I still think I will get the Hogue forend just because Hogue grips feel awesome to me. I am also going to slap a Mesa Tactical LEO adapter with a Hogue pistol grip too. I have never had any problems with it shooting and it does make sense that the looser the design the better for the action of the shotgun. Thanks again, I now have no worries about my Mossy!

Top Bottom