23   0   0
    9cef162d_history-channel-alien-guy-meme-generator-aliens-98f63b.jpeg

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Quite frankly I've never believed that we are the only life out there. The universe is a REALLY big place. Are we the only life in our little ole solar system? Yeah I think so. But there are countless others in different galaxies. Now I don't believe that aliens are going to come take over our planet like in some sci-fi movie, but if we truly are the only planet in the entire universe with any kind of life, then that's a major waste of space.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There is no way we are the only life forms in the universe. To me, it's not a matter of "if" we will find civilized life but "when."

Quite frankly I've never believed that we are the only life out there. The universe is a REALLY big place. Are we the only life in our little ole solar system? Yeah I think so. But there are countless others in different galaxies. Now I don't believe that aliens are going to come take over our planet like in some sci-fi movie, but if we truly are the only planet in the entire universe with any kind of life, then that's a major waste of space.

The theory that we are the only life forms in the universe has often made me question God's choice of interior designer. What a huge waste of space.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There is no way we are the only life forms in the universe. To me, it's not a matter of "if" we will find civilized life but "when."

The theory that we are the only life forms in the universe has often made me question God's choice of interior designer. What a huge waste of space.
    Maybe He/She just doesn't like a whole lot of clutter :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Strictly from a probability standpoint, there MUST be life elsewhere in the universe. In all actuality, life MUST take many different forms vastly different than what we find on our tiny little speck of dust.

The chances of us running into something else is pretty remote, though. The distances are so incredibly vast. that deep-field view is a GREAT example. What we think of as empty is actual FULL beyond our imagination.

That said, I would not be one bit surprised to find microorganisms of some sort in our very own solar system. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn could easily give rise to something of their own.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is nothing more than self-centered arrogance to believe that there is no life elsewhere in the universe. Whether that life can get here or not is another question.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That said, I would not be one bit surprised to find microorganisms of some sort in our very own solar system. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn could easily give rise to something of their own.
    When you look at the places we find life on this planet, it would be hard to imagine there isn't something there. No matter how extreme or seemingly toxic the surroundings, life finds a way to survive there.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Strictly from a probability standpoint, there MUST be life elsewhere in the universe. In all actuality, life MUST take many different forms vastly different than what we find on our tiny little speck of dust.

Interesting idea. I wonder how the laws of nature limit or fail to limit the variability within viable organisms. For example how many shapes of a vertabrate spinal column allow for upright ambulation etc. I wonder if we found life on another planet if we would find it eerily similar just because of the type of life forms that have advantages that allow them to succeed or if it would be all over the place.

The concept of God enters into it as well. If you believe Genesis, we were created in the "image" of God. If that is true and God created other worlds (why wouldn't he?) it would make sense that he also created "humans" on those worlds as well.

I don't know whats out there, but knowing the proclivity of humans to destroy and pillage everything they can, I'm not sure I'm in a hurry to meet a race with a huge tech advantage.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Interesting idea. I wonder how the laws of nature limit or fail to limit the variability within viable organisms. For example how many shapes of a vertabrate spinal column allow for upright ambulation etc. I wonder if we found life on another planet if we would find it eerily similar just because of the type of life forms that have advantages that allow them to succeed or if it would be all over the place.

The concept of God enters into it as well. If you believe Genesis, we were created in the "image" of God. If that is true and God created other worlds (why wouldn't he?) it would make sense that he also created "humans" on those worlds as well.

I don't know whats out there, but knowing the proclivity of humans to destroy and pillage everything they can, I'm not sure I'm in a hurry to meet a race with a huge tech advantage.

Expand your mind a bit....

Who said "life" needs even be carbon-based? Who says it needs water? Io has liquid methane. Very similar chemical processes, just REALLY cold.

I remember reading a bit about body plans and such back in college. The even-number bilateral plans (2,4,6,8 appendages, 2/4 eyes, 2 ears, etc....) dominate here. Would they everywhere? Is it a rule, or just worked out that way?

Would we even recognize other life if we saw it?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Expand your mind a bit....

Who said "life" needs even be carbon-based? Who says it needs water? Io has liquid methane. Very similar chemical processes, just REALLY cold.

I remember reading a bit about body plans and such back in college. The even-number bilateral plans (2,4,6,8 appendages, 2/4 eyes, 2 ears, etc....) dominate here. Would they everywhere? Is it a rule, or just worked out that way?

Would we even recognize other life if we saw it?

You beat me to it. There is no reason other life forms would need to walk on two legs.

I would bet the house that humans will never encounter other advanced life forms.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    in the grand scheme of things, our technological breakthroughs have come at an EXTREMELY fast pace, and in some fields, at an almost blinding speed... if we, as a civilization have come as far as we have in such a short amount of time, I can't even fathom how much more advanced another, older civilization could be. Even with only a 100 year difference, we'd be so far behind that we'd never catch up without help.

and in regards to the Fermi paradox, watch that Dawkins/Tyson video again... kind of answers itself...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

What I believe Fermi missed is the vast distances we are dealing with. Our very first EVER radio transmission is only 103 light years away from us. There are only a very few (currently known) habitable planets within that distance (List of potential habitable exoplanets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I doubt anyone has even heard us yet. That assumes they have the technology, AND are listening, and would even care if they heard anything.

To top it off, we have only been listening for a few short years. SETI started up in the 1960's. We didn't REALLY start listening until the 1990's, and only in 2009 did we start listening to the "whole sky" (rather than just a tiny little spot).

Heck, someone could have heard us 50 years ago, and RESPONDED, and we still wouldn't hear that response yet! Or we missed it. Or we aren't smart enough to know what it was.

Even more humbling.... By the time our very first radio transmission hits these deep-field stars (in the OP), our own Sun would have LONG burnt out, and pretty much the entire solar system would be frozen to near absolute zero. All trace of anything remotely human would surely be long gone, and some alien would just be hearing The Beatles for the first time.

Top Bottom